Singapore Expats

Training for Everest Base Camp Trek

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Breez

Training for Everest Base Camp Trek

Post by Breez » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:23 pm

Hi All
Anyone have suggestions on how I can acclimatize to 4000m+ before I go on my trek to Nepal in April? SG is so so flat and I am worried about getting altitude sickness and not enjoying the trip. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Stewart

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Training for Everest Base Camp Trek

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 3:50 pm

You can start off by climbing the 42 floor HDB

Seriously I have a friend who is training for Everest 2015, his training includes treks up KK, and he is guided by some experts

If in April you haven't done any training get ?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 6:25 pm

Breez wrote:Hi All
Anyone have suggestions on how I can acclimatize to 4000m+ before I go on my trek to Nepal in April? SG is so so flat and I am worried about getting altitude sickness and not enjoying the trip. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Stewart
Try to find somewhere at least 5000ft to acclimatize at for a few days. Exercise while there of course. Some people NEVER can acclimatize and of course if you smoke there's no hope. You'll probably be ok.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 9:01 pm

I'd hope your trip begins with a few days at leisure whilst you begin to acclimatise to the altitude.

The trouble is that these adventures seem to be so far-flung, and time consuming to reach, that time on the ground is at a premium, i.e. cut to the minimum.

I've only had the effects of altitude sickness twice. One when working in the Amazon basin, and then taking a long w/e RnR in the Andes (La Paz, Bolivia). Fascinating place, but it was rather like suddenly wearing a 100lb lead-lined suit. The second time many years later was also in the Andes, following the Inca Trail. Again NYC (sea level) > Lima (ditto) > altitude at Cusco. At least there we had a few days off on arrival. But on both of these trips members of our group were wiped out (destination abandoned) by the altitude very quickly.

I'm sure you can Google for it, acclimatising to altitude. But getting the blood-cell count up would probably help (iron pills?). Maintaining max hydration, etc.

You're very wise to begin considering this in advance. Way better than paying stacks and then finding on arrival that your body refuses to go along with you!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 9:52 pm

there was a member in this forum, who made it to the K2/Baltoro Glacier, Concordia I believe. about 5,000 meters above sea level.

BTW, mount KK is 13,000 feet, and you can stop at any of the midway stops

PS, oddly, In Philippines, I stayed in a place, which was 7,500+ feet above sea level, a bit of headache and all was well .. if you don't mind the misty mountains and chill.

Lancer4332

Post by Lancer4332 » Wed, 04 Feb 2015 11:37 am

I trained at Bukit Timah Nature Reserve but I carried a very heavy backpack (about 28kg). The air is much denser here compared to EBC and the trekking time is around 5-7 hours a day. So I carried a heavier backpack to train to compensate for the air density and the amount of trekking time. But now the nature reserve is closed, so maybe you can try Telok Blangah hills.

I did the trekking training weekly for endurance and in between I would go for running training for stamina for about 3 months before the actual event. I can say it may not be necessary but it definitely helps to let you enjoy the trek more. With a fitter body, you will be enjoying the scenery around you rather than cursing your heavy backpack and tired legs.

As for the altitude sickness, I think it is similar to sea sickness. If you are proned to it, then there's nothing much you can do about it. However you can prevent or minimise the effect by taking Diamox along the way. They are easily available at pharmacies with a doctor presciption.

Usually the trekking agencies will plan the route in such a way that you have some time to acclimatise, but altitude sickness may still happen. It is advisable to buy insurance for trekking at this height so that it covers helicopter evacuation in case shit happens.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! The suffering will be all worthed it!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 Feb 2015 5:40 pm

Lancer4332 wrote:It is advisable to buy insurance for trekking at this height so that it covers helicopter evacuation in case shit happens
I been following a helicopter pilot's blog, where he is doing air evacuation from EBC, but back to KTM is still not much of A help I guess since KTM too is at altitude.

Including evac all the way to back home is what insurance should cover

Jase01

Post by Jase01 » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:23 am

You can try consulting a physician before your trek. Have yourself assessed because climbing the Everest is no joke.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:03 pm

Jase01 wrote:You can try consulting a physician before your trek. Have yourself assessed because climbing the Everest is no joke.
I don't think OP said he is going to the top of Everest !! :)

Lancer4332

Post by Lancer4332 » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:37 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Lancer4332 wrote:It is advisable to buy insurance for trekking at this height so that it covers helicopter evacuation in case shit happens
I been following a helicopter pilot's blog, where he is doing air evacuation from EBC, but back to KTM is still not much of A help I guess since KTM too is at altitude.

Including evac all the way to back home is what insurance should cover
KTM is actually relatively low, even if the altitude sickness is still there, it should not be life threatening.

Jase01

Post by Jase01 » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 12:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Jase01 wrote:You can try consulting a physician before your trek. Have yourself assessed because climbing the Everest is no joke.
I don't think OP said he is going to the top of Everest !! :)
Sorry. My bad. :)