Singapore Expats

Intl Streaming - Use provider's VPN solution or DIY?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: International Streaming - Use provider's VPN solution or

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 12:55 pm

russch wrote:Interesting, looks like NetFlix may start playing "hardball" on geo spoofing:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/3/748686 ... -block-vpn
Hulu has been doing this. It'll be interesting to see how aggressive they are. It's a cat and mouse game, and the more aggressive they get the more likely they are to have false positives and ensnare users legitimately located in the US.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:25 pm

A lot of their so-called US users have nothing to do with the US. The question is do they want to decimate their user base in such fashion, because ultimately they will have to post lower numbers if they do so.

Of course there will be situations where they will have to do something about the situation. They are weeks away from launching in Australia and most likely they will charge more money for less content. If this happens the media will of course report on it and might drop in a slight mention on how customers have been using VPN/DNS services to sign up at lower rates for more content - or even just show users how to get more content out of their current subscription.

Either way, interesting times ahead. :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:06 am

aster wrote:A lot of their so-called US users have nothing to do with the US. The question is do they want to decimate their user base in such fashion, because ultimately they will have to post lower numbers if they do so.

Of course there will be situations where they will have to do something about the situation. They are weeks away from launching in Australia and most likely they will charge more money for less content. If this happens the media will of course report on it and might drop in a slight mention on how customers have been using VPN/DNS services to sign up at lower rates for more content - or even just show users how to get more content out of their current subscription.

Either way, interesting times ahead. :)
The problem is contractually they're bound to only sell the content they licensed where it was licensed to them at. So while it is not illegal for you as a user to use a VPN to view the content, it's technically illegal/breach of contract on Netflix part because they're selling the content somewhere they're not authorized to.

Obviously they want as many customers as possible, but they also can't afford to piss off the studios they license the content from.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 10:22 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Obviously they want as many customers as possible, but they also can't afford to piss off the studios they license the content from.
Of course, this is just one big balancing act. Netflix wants as many people to subscribe to its services, but at the same time it wants the studios to think that it is doing everything possible to prevent cross-border subscribers.

Ever since I discovered Netflix I have spend a LOT less money buying boxed sets at Amazon.co.uk , and I'm sure as Netflix spreads that trend will continue even as people access Netflix the official way.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 08 Jan 2015 8:35 am

aster wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Obviously they want as many customers as possible, but they also can't afford to piss off the studios they license the content from.
Of course, this is just one big balancing act. Netflix wants as many people to subscribe to its services, but at the same time it wants the studios to think that it is doing everything possible to prevent cross-border subscribers.

Ever since I discovered Netflix I have spend a LOT less money buying boxed sets at Amazon.co.uk , and I'm sure as Netflix spreads that trend will continue even as people access Netflix the official way.

It's actually the same exact thing with Apple and iOS jailbreaks... They don't really care, except it pisses content providers and cell carriers (if the JB leads to SIM unlocking the phone). Or, if it is remotely exploitable and getting bad press.

andytang

Post by andytang » Tue, 03 Feb 2015 10:37 pm

Emergency123 wrote:I am currently on a Starhub cable 100 Mbps plan http://www.starhub.com/personal/broadba ... plans.html and using https://www.hidemyass.com to stream Netflix.I am usually able to get decent streaming speeds approx 6 + Mbps although netflix has to be forced via keyboard shortcuts to stream in HD.Not impressed with Netflix's collection though with respect to movies :x
I am using one of those all in one android tv box, AlienBoxOffice.com that has app and VPN build into for Singapore market. You get the latest hollywood movies, drama, korean, hong kong etc. You can also subscribe to netflix and run on the box. With VPN build in, you don't even have to pay for VPN. However, I have cut netflix off as the content it carries is not up to date.