Singapore Expats

No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30pm?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 8:10 pm

x9200 wrote: Minor inconvenience of substitute packaging.
When we lived in the US we called such things 'safety cups'. Like a 64oz premix 'slurpee cup' (with the straw through the top) of vodka and orange juice, or similar.

Another common tactic used by hard-boiled commuters heading out of Manhattan at the end of a day was simply having bottles or containers in brown paper bags: Like magic (apparently), problem, what problem? In any train carriage there might be 20-30+ people doing this...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 8:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Primrose Hill wrote:what does this mean though in real life?
does this mean that I cannot buy from 7-11 or wherever after 10.30pm? what about I bought it before 10.30pm and sat about at hawker's stall or on a bridge or on a patch of grass and started drinking with my mates after 10.30?
They're not allowed to sell, and you're not allowed to drink it outside in public areas.

Unless you're a teenager or a foreign worker, I don't see this being an issue outside of late-night barbecues at the park or beach. Even then, for the few that go past 10:30 there is an optional alcohol permit you can also obtain to keep drinking.
That's going to kill that cesspool of what Clarke Quay has become, the bridge that is now completely full of BYOBers on any given weekend.

So maybe it's a good thing.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 9:20 pm

Brah wrote: That's going to kill that cesspool of what Clarke Quay has become, the bridge that is now completely full of BYOBers on any given weekend. So maybe it's a good thing.
I suspect the issue runs deeper, but any action will only address the most public bits.

For example, I can walk down to my suburban mall, and the last 100yds is a footpath, where almost every bench is occupied by what in the UK are known as 'Winos'. I expect that translates, and if not > people sitting out in public drinking due to addiction. Then just before the shops at the end of that path, I walk under an HDB block. It has sets of benches there, front-to-back with people drinking (at lunchtime, as above).

Closing down some drinking spot in town is cosmetic. The underlying issue runs far deeper. Come to think of it, I can't think of anywhere I've been where 'public displays of 'quiet'* alcoholism' is more obvious, and I'm not talking as a result of visitors, or the Quays.

* Just just sitting on a bench and getting progressively smashed. Not causing a fuss, disturbance, trouble, as such...

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 8:23 am

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: That's going to kill that cesspool of what Clarke Quay has become, the bridge that is now completely full of BYOBers on any given weekend. So maybe it's a good thing.
I suspect the issue runs deeper, but any action will only address the most public bits.

For example, I can walk down to my suburban mall, and the last 100yds is a footpath, where almost every bench is occupied by what in the UK are known as 'Winos'. I expect that translates, and if not > people sitting out in public drinking due to addiction. Then just before the shops at the end of that path, I walk under an HDB block. It has sets of benches there, front-to-back with people drinking (at lunchtime, as above).

Closing down some drinking spot in town is cosmetic. The underlying issue runs far deeper. Come to think of it, I can't think of anywhere I've been where 'public displays of 'quiet'* alcoholism' is more obvious, and I'm not talking as a result of visitors, or the Quays.

* Just just sitting on a bench and getting progressively smashed. Not causing a fuss, disturbance, trouble, as such...
True. One thing I noticed, however, coming from Newcastle Upon Tyne, is how civilised the pissheads are here. Back home after 8.30PM most of the city centre looks like Mos Eisley.

I don't think this will make a huge difference. My inner rebel got almost wound up about it, then I realised that in the time I've been here I have not once done anything which would break the new rules.

Kids will always find a way to get smashed. As you say, it's just cosmetic.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 9:21 am

stuckmojo wrote:
JR8 wrote:

True. One thing I noticed, however, coming from Newcastle Upon Tyne, is how civilised the pissheads are here. Back home after 8.30PM most of the city centre looks like Mos Eisley.

I don't think this will make a huge difference. My inner rebel got almost wound up about it, then I realised that in the time I've been here I have not once done anything which would break the new rules.

Kids will always find a way to get smashed. As you say, it's just cosmetic.
+1 Well behaved pissheads

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:33 am

JR8 wrote:
It occurred to me the other day, as I watched an expat woman drunkenly negotiate a crossing, that the prevalence of expats with serious drinking problems is high here. The ones I have known or observed are generally women.

I’m assuming this is not just Singapore but would be applicable to other expat locations? Bored trailing spouses?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:11 am

I was referring to what appear to be entirely locals, 'heartlanders', aged say 35-65 or so. You do get a sense that it's something of a regular crowd (30-50 men?), and they hang out in this area and drink, rather than it being just some random people. If they were foreigners then I expect they would be arrested.

Of course you'll find some people downtown going out and partying and some getting a bit drunk. That's mostly SGns of course, though naturally some foreigners do as well. But there are plenty of Public Order laws here, so I'm not sure what the fuss is.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:22 am

JR8 wrote: But there are plenty of Public Order laws here, so I'm not sure what the fuss is.
Agree , just police what is already in place correctly and job done ...

Maybe they realise they have low quality cops as the pay is so miserable, so they have to introduce stricter laws so folk will do some self policing to keep costs down.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:45 am

Barnsley wrote:Maybe they realise they have low quality cops as the pay is so miserable, so they have to introduce stricter laws so folk will do some self policing to keep costs down.
As they already do with es tee oh em pee?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:46 am

It's also about publicity. Reminding that there are some laws already in place might actually have an adverse effect as apparently they were not executed so why should anybody care? Now everybody knows there is a new sheriff in town*, he has a new pair of pistols and he is pretty likely not afraid to use it.

*) literally, if you read the bill, it is not only the police that can tell you boo!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 11:10 am

April 1st it is then ..........
Life is short, paddle harder!!

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 5:08 pm

According to this CNA link you'll still be able to drink in public after the curfew. I would like to be the first to test it though...

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/mobile/s ... l?cid=FBSG

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 7:53 pm

Does a similar law apply anywhere else in the world, or is SG going to be a pioneer of this 'moral sobriety'?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 9:46 pm

My home state of Maryland is just about as restrictive. Cannot drink in public only mean you cannot drink in parks, beaches, on the street after 10:30 pm till 7 am in the morning. You can still drink in establishments that have liquor licenses to do so, e.g., clubs and kopitiams (but those licenses may be further restricted. You can drink on private property without any problems. ZoukOut may have a problem though. ;-)

Just means a couple of us recalcitrant eagles won't be able to do 7-11 a 2:30 in the morning and site on the steps of the river drinking till the sun arises on Saturday morning! :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:27 pm

Friend: We're stopping over on our way home to Europe, can we stay?
JR8: Sure!
Friend: But we've heard they've banned alcohol!
JR8: Well, no, [reads out five pages of rules].
Friend: Sounds like you live in Mecca-pore mate! And chewing gum is banned unless you have a doctor's prescription yeah?
JR8: Well, no, [reads out three pages of rules].
Friend: Er ok, maybe we'll do Bangkok or KL and see you next time. I mean this holiday is about having fun eh... TTFN