Singapore Expats

Need on-site help with my Mac

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Bootycamp23

Need on-site help with my Mac

Post by Bootycamp23 » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:26 am

Hi, folks.

I am NOT tech-savvy.

I have a MacBook Air, and an AirPort Time Capsule, which I bought thinking I could use it as an external hard drive.

My issue is that I use my MacBook for my extensive iTunes account, as well as shared work files. Both of these have consumed all of my available hard drive storage.

Now my computer's telling me that I need to delete files or move them.

SO...I guess my question is twofold:
1. How do I save my iTunes library to my Time Capsule, and still be able to access the library?
2. Is there a home visit service for us techno-losers here in Singapore that someone could recommend?

I've been to the Apple store but they just look at me like I am an idiot...which I guess I kinda am, when it comes to crap like this anyhow!

Okay, if anybody has any suggestions or can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Carolyn

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Need on-site help with my Mac

Post by bgd » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:27 am

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/49 ... 0&tstart=0

https://www.apple.com/sg/airport-time-capsule/

See the above links. Looks like Time Capsule is meant for backups rather than an external drive.

So best idea is to get an external hard drive and use that for storage of your itunes files. You can then use your Time Capsule for backing up using Time Machine. Having a back up is pretty sensible, all drives will fail at some point.

The external drive connects via cable into your MBA USB port. Depending on the age of your MBA get USB3 or Thunderbolt connections on the drive.

I suspect much of this won't mean too much but just ask any questions you have.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 2:30 pm

bgd wrote:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/49 ... 0&tstart=0

https://www.apple.com/sg/airport-time-capsule/

See the above links. Looks like Time Capsule is meant for backups rather than an external drive.
The Time Capsule unit is merely a hard drive that is mounted via the network, so it certainly can be a remote storage piece. I use it that way myself, though not for things I access often. Personal preference for me, as I dislike the Apple backup process...

Another option is getting a larger hard drive for the MacBook. They're quite easy to replace. Back up the existing drive, put in the new one and reimage from the net. Then restore from the backup. Might be more than you want to get into, but it's there. :shock:

Dave

Bootycamp23

Post by Bootycamp23 » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 8:04 am

Thanks for your replies. I've now bought an external hard drive that I somehow f'd up. I guess this means a trip to the a-lab at Plaza Sing for me. Boooooo.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 8:37 am

Bootycamp23 wrote:Thanks for your replies. I've now bought an external hard drive that I somehow f'd up. I guess this means a trip to the a-lab at Plaza Sing for me. Boooooo.
Sorry that you are having problems... and you reminded me of an old joke I heard... Put that screwdriver down and stand back sir... you're not qualified to operate complicated tools.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:32 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Bootycamp23 wrote:Thanks for your replies. I've now bought an external hard drive that I somehow f'd up. I guess this means a trip to the a-lab at Plaza Sing for me. Boooooo.
Sorry that you are having problems... and you reminded me of an old joke I heard... Put that screwdriver down and stand back sir... you're not qualified to operate complicated tools.
What does f'd mean? Are you getting an error message? Pretty hard to mess up an external drive, all you need to do is reformat. Assuming it wasn't faulty in the first place of course.