Singapore Expats Forum

Hitchhiker

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Hitchhiker

Postby bgd » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:14 pm

Saw my first in Singapore this morning.

Sure it can't be legal? It deprives Sg Inc of income. :wink:

Anyway, given shortness of skirt and attractiveness of face, she wouldn't have been waiting long. :D

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby nakatago » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:22 pm

bgd wrote:Saw my first in Singapore this morning.

Sure it can't be legal? It deprives Sg Inc of income. :wink:

Anyway, given shortness of skirt and attractiveness of face, she wouldn't have been waiting long. :D


Pics or it didn't happen.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:56 pm

^^ This! :devil:

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby bgd » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 1:21 pm

That is a good point but I was without both camera and phone. :( Early morning walk.

Must admit that I was surprised to see her. No money perhaps, she was near a bus stop.

Anyway, it brightened up my morning and I did get a smile. Nothing like the unusal to start a day. :D

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5245
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby the lynx » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 1:29 pm

bgd wrote:That is a good point but I was without both camera and phone. :( Early morning walk.

Must admit that I was surprised to see her. No money perhaps, she was near a bus stop.

Anyway, it brightened up my morning and I did get a smile. Nothing like the unusal to start a day. :D


Wait you mean she randomly hailed a private vehicle and asked if she could get a ride over to XYZ?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby nakatago » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 1:35 pm

bgd wrote:That is a good point but I was without both camera and phone. :( Early morning walk.

Must admit that I was surprised to see her. No money perhaps, she was near a bus stop.


Walk of shame?

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby bgd » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 1:41 pm

the lynx wrote:Wait you mean she randomly hailed a private vehicle and asked if she could get a ride over to XYZ?


She was standing there with her thumb out. Definitely hitching.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 1:42 pm

shortness of skirt = instant lift.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34457
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 1:47 pm

That's hitchhiking. People have hitchhiked clear across the US and back many times. In fact, quite a famous song was based on hitchhiking.


User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5245
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby the lynx » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 2:03 pm

Come to think about it, I'd rather hitch hike in Singapore rather than, say, India... :twisted:

But I am still very surprised that someone would actually pick her up!

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 2:18 pm

the lynx wrote:Come to think about it, I'd rather hitch hike in Singapore rather than, say, India... :twisted:

But I am still very surprised that someone would actually pick her up!


hai bootyful? wanna ride ? :P
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby maneo » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 4:35 pm

the lynx wrote:Come to think about it, I'd rather hitch hike in Singapore rather than, say, India... :twisted:

But I am still very surprised that someone would actually pick her up!

I would.

Have been in that situation enough (though in the distant past) to know the feeling when finally being given a lift.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5245
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby the lynx » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 4:40 pm

Maybe I should try it next time I head out in Singapore in heels and all dressed up haha! :twisted:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby x9200 » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 5:14 pm

bgd wrote:
the lynx wrote:Wait you mean she randomly hailed a private vehicle and asked if she could get a ride over to XYZ?


She was standing there with her thumb out. Definitely hitching.

Many Singaporeans wave at the taxis even if the flag is red. It is just natural, evolutionary and had to come one day some would wave on any other car. What true difference does it make? It's not that uncommon to see a taxi with a cabbie and his wife inside and their dream vehicles can be very messy too... just like any private car.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby bgd » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 6:16 pm

When I worked in Moscow you could hail any car as you would a taxi, negotiate a fare and off you went. The locals used it as a way to make extra cash. Don't really see that catching on in Sg. :wink:


Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests