Singapore Expats

Bizarre experience with getting fibre broadband

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fiddler

Bizarre experience with getting fibre broadband

Post by Fiddler » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 2:56 am

Hi Im in urgent need of some opinions or insights. I've moved into a fibre-ready apartment…i.e.. there is already a OpenNet termination point attached to the wall…so no cabling works or hacking is required. All that's needed is "patching the connection"….akin to throwing the switch on, in order to let the signal flow through. This is done by accessing a room known as the MDF (master frame distribution)….a master control room of sorts.

The MDF room that serves my apartment is housed in a condo across from me, and the Opennet folks need access to that room.

But the condo manager has flatly refused to allow them access…unless it is for residents of their condo, no one else's needs will be entertained.

Not only does this smack of poor neighbourly etiquette and needlessly malicious behaviour, I'm not even sure it's legal. OpenNet is in charge of laying the fibre infrastructure of Singapore, a goal that has been set by the government itself, so to my mind, obstructing their work is tantamount to obstructing the government's mandate.

Anyone experienced this sort of thing and is there any solution. I've lodged a report with IDA but they seem content to watch from the sidelines. OpenNet seems paralysed and as for my ISP…it's not their fault but they don't seem concerned that they are losing a customer who is willing to sign a 2 year contract.

Your thoughts and advice are welcome.

PS. Im not willing to settle for cable broadband especially when there are others in my apartment block who have a fibre connection routed through the other condo. Plus the person living in the apartment before me had a fibre connection too but terminated their feed when they left.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Bizarre experience with getting fibre broadband

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 8:49 am

It sucks when you meet obstructive people like this, but I think you have two ways to move the issue forwards.

1) MCST (the relevant condo management company). There will usually be a notice saying who the management company is i.e. MCST#41 with contact details. Look for a notice board in the security hut or similar. Maybe the information is available online, I dunno. But they should be able to kick the manager into gear. In hosting the MDF room, I would be surprised if there wasn't some level of agreement on access when it was first installed. Your own MCST might even have details of the agreement, you could try asking them.

2) Your contract is with your provider. From the NetLink Trust (new name for OpenNet) Interconnection Offer Agreement contract (Clause 6.9) you are entitled to compensation equal to the number of days delay times by the weekly recurring charge for the service. I would make that claim.
They can get out of paying you if the are blocked by the building management (clause 6.10) but it doesn't specify *another condo* obstructing. Clause 6.10d says that NLT must use best endeavours to resolve the issue expeditiously. However, if you raise a dispute with them they must provide evidence that they have used best endeavours.

So I would go back to NLT armed with the service contact (ICO) from here: http://www.netlinktrust.com/services/in ... agreement/ see Schedule I and Schedule 8.

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:40 am

She IS the MCST apparently, as all emails addressed to them are opened by her. But I know she has a boss as she works for Savills strata management….NLT is very reclusive about details of the service agreement they have with this MCST, especially regarding access…the fact that this manager blatantly and aggressively says she won't permit it must mean they failed to secure access on all grounds for themselves. Very lax on their part.

Great advice on the NLT ICO Offer Contract….I had no idea these laws had been possibly breached…this might be good motivation for NLT to move faster and more effectively. My ISP has already charged me a deposit...the only fortunate part is that they haven't started charging me as the line isn't activated.

Once again, thanks curiousgeorge!
Last edited by Fiddler on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:07 am

Hi CG, I found the clause you mentioned (6.11)…apparently NLT's liability to pay for delays is to the 'Requesting Licensee'…would that be me or the ISP? From the language used I would appear to be the 'end user'.

Thanks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 2:11 pm

I'd also contact IDA or whichever government agency is most relevant to this. Seems like whoever put the MDF in a specific unit made a big f-up. They may get involved and that involvement may spur someone into action.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 3:30 pm

The best way to get traction with the MCST (aka Management Agent) and MC (aka Management Committee) is via your Landlord screaming blue murder at them. The MA is selected by the MC and the LL will have a voting rights for the MC and hence be able to threaten them with having the MA agreement terminated (it's not cough cough uncommon for the MC to receive 'gifts' at CNY from the MA).

Review your TA and see what pain you can put on your LL.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 3:47 pm

Ive already informed IDA.

BTW my LL has no influence on this as the obstructing condo Manager is from the condo across the road…where the OpenNet MDF room is situated.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 8:57 am

Fiddler wrote:Ive already informed IDA.

BTW my LL has no influence on this as the obstructing condo Manager is from the condo across the road…where the OpenNet MDF room is situated.
Your LL can exert pressure on your MC/MA to deal with the MA across the road. I agree this is a clustephuck tho.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 9:43 am

What did IDA say about the MDF being inaccessible? What has OpenNet said? It seems they should have some sort of enforcement powers here. I can't believe they would zone an MDF into the personal unit of an individual in a different condo building. Would they stop SP Services from reading your gas or power meters?

Do you mind sharing the condo name(s) (or at least area) so that other readers here will know to not go rent there?

Fiddler

Post by Fiddler » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 11:32 am

IDA and OpenNet don't say anything but lines from the service manual…these include comforting favourites such as "i know where you're coming from"….and "we will escalate this and get back to you".

BTW the MDF Room isn't in someone else's unit/apartment…I haven't seem these things but it seems like a large server room type place that has all the switches and connectors for the fibre connections throughout the area.