Singapore Expats

How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore one

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
blibble

Re: How to convert your motorcycle license into a Singapore

Post by blibble » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:50 am

You say you wrote to TP to plead your case.

To whom and to what address did you write. I need to do this as TP offices will not give me class 2 despite I passed my UK bike test in 1978... Hard to show training when it's a relatively recent thing and for ownership well log books go with the bike when you sell it and insurance documents aren't usually kept once lapsed or bike sold...

Hope to hear soon as I need to get this sorted or I'll be forced to sell my Ducati I bought and insured here last year.

my email is
[email protected]
If you could send any information there.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:30 pm

blibble wrote:You say you wrote to TP to plead your case.

To whom and to what address did you write. I need to do this as TP offices will not give me class 2 despite I passed my UK bike test in 1978... Hard to show training when it's a relatively recent thing and for ownership well log books go with the bike when you sell it and insurance documents aren't usually kept once lapsed or bike sold...

Hope to hear soon as I need to get this sorted or I'll be forced to sell my Ducati I bought and insured here last year.

my email is
[email protected]
If you could send any information there.
More info, please. You've been legally riding your Ducati on an unlimited UK license in Singapore? You were insured, that is, the insurance company agreed that your license allowed you to ride greater than 400 CC in Singapore?

I passed a bike test in 1968... can you obtain records of bikes, insurance, purchases, license records that prove your position. Seems odd that you have been denied.

PS: We post information on the forums as opposed to replying privately so all can benefit. Hope you are checking this thread.

blibble

Post by blibble » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:56 pm

Hello

Yup - denied a class 2 because I cannot show documentary evidence of training on large capacity bike. I argued my UK test and over 30 years experience should count but dealing with box ticking procedure following clerks is an exercise in futility. I tried at two stations. Same result. I showed my current insurance documents to show my large capacity bike but no - must see documentary proof of training... Yes but... Must show documentary proof of training...

2 hours of queuing at each place too...

Anyway I need to find out who to write to in order to deal with someone more senior and who an understand my situation.

Any ideas?
Last edited by blibble on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blibble

Post by blibble » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 1:00 pm

By the way I did ask for this information at the offices - answer 'no address must use feedback email'

Yes but I want to write in to someone senior to plead my case...

No address must use email for feedback.

I remained clam and polite but inside I was screaming.

blibble

Post by blibble » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 1:07 pm

I must point out I CANNOT show proof of ownership of previous bikes as once sold documentation goes with machine (in UK). DVLA will not give out such data except via a paid service via post only if you were a previous owner and know the registration number.

Buggered if I can remember a number of a bike I sold four years ago ( last bike I owned back in UK ).

But the fact I have a full UK license since 1978 should mean something. During the conversation I explained that then the law was pass on 250cc and then entitled to ride any size bike. This was prior to modern rules on training and multi tier licenses.

... "But only 250 so class 2b... Must show documentary proof of training..."

Screaming inside head louder...

blibble

Post by blibble » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 9:29 pm

Some progress: I have tracked down the reg number of my KTM450 and so I can now send DVLA a form requesting information as myself as registered owner and the dates. Will take some time but at least I can show ownership of an over 400cc bike for a few years.

Whether this alone will do I doubt but it's one thing on the list. I will at the same time see if DVLA can confirm my license entities me to unlimited capacity bike - might help.

I will try to get this sorted because as I understand it I have 12 months on my full uk license from time of starting to ride in Singapore - last August when I bought and insured my Ducati 821 hypermotard. I believe in any case re-insuring is not possible on a foreign license after the 12 months.

Appreciate any comments.
Last edited by blibble on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:23 pm

Which driving center are you using to get this done? I found the Bukit Batok people to be reasonable.

blibble

Post by blibble » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:56 pm

First I tried at Ubi, then ride (on my 821cc bike) to where you're suggesting... I think there's one more somewhere. Anyway writing to DVLA tonight so once I get whatever they can supply will try again. Best advice on this forum is to ask and if not accepted as class 2 then ask for all documentation back, do not pay the 50 bucks and walk away.

The girls were as polite as you like but completeky unable to get away from the fact that they wanted proof of training as stipulated in the guidelines on a laser print they had - regardless of other guidelines. I got close but in the end only offered 2b. I hope letter from DVLA showing I have owned 450cc bike before for a few years will swing it. We will see.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 9:40 am

I guess they might be tightening up, but I didn't have any proof of training other than my license when I applied (although I did direct access, I can't remember what it says about entitlement on the actual license).

BUT I did go armed with a library of pictures of me on each of my bikes taken on my various travels which they accepted as proof. ;)

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

blibble

Post by blibble » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:12 am

Interesting to hear photos can help - I'll add that to my list to take.

I think the DAS part made it easier because it is for 600cc bikes. When (foolishly) I let it slip my test was on a 250 (only and max size at the time) it did me no favors.

I will wait now to hear from DVLA and let you know progress after. I have a few months before the 12 are up...

guesswho

Post by guesswho » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 6:31 pm

Seems buy a bike above class 2B is not option anymore for foreigner unless you have supporting docs mentioned that you have properly training based on blibble experience, although owning and driving bike above class 2b within 12mnth in SG. its too bad as im about to buy a bike here (above 2b), otherwise i will ended to sell it :???:

blibble

Post by blibble » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 9:30 pm

I have no intention of giving up - I am an experienced rider of over 30 years on many bike from 500cc motocrossers to ZXR 750 Kawasaki sports bikes and even worked on a national bike magazine. The official police website says licenses should be converted for equivalent - it's just the beurocracy wants documentary proof of ownership/training ignoring the fact a full UK license is exactly that. I am collecting as much as I can for my next attempt after which I will try a written approach.

Anyone interested in a Ducati with low mileage in excellent condition should contact me in June if it all fails...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:43 am

Good luck, really can't think of anything worse, there isn't much of interest here in the 200cc range. If you can't get a full then try for a 2A, at least that opens up the field somewhat.

I converted 7 years ago and they just looked at the licence and gave me the 2B, like for like conversion. I did go armed with evidence of ownership of large bikes (but not training), because there were cases similar to yours reported on here. They never looked at it.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 1:56 pm

Good luck. I cringe at how easy it was for me to get my licenses in Australia and how easy my conversion was here. The advantages of being born in the early 60's I guess.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

guesswho

Post by guesswho » Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:27 pm

blibble, just wondering what is your update..

right now I'm pursuing to convert both car and motorcycle license, and currently wait for BTT schedule this coming April. I just want to get converted first and let see how it goes.