Singapore Expats

Air BnB & HDB Rentals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Air BnB & HDB Rentals

Post by martincymru » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:14 am

The URA have demanded Air bnb participate in a "consultation" (as I understand) at Sun Tec, Thurs evening, 29th Jan.

Air bnb have asked Landlords (who have rented out via Air bnb) and Tenants (who have used Air bnb and live in Sg) to attend.

I am curious as to the intent and where this is leading.

For sure, many people reading this forum will be affected by this new player in the market.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Air BnB & HDB Rentals

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:44 am

I have not used it before but this has made me curious.
Is this only applicable to HDB air bnb tenants and landlords or includes private residences as well?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 2:00 pm

HDB, private, commercial - if fact anything rented out.

Ask yourself the question " if it's a trivial issue then why are the Sg govt getting involved ? "

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 3:27 pm

I wouldn't go and I suspect they'll have only the most foolhardy LL's showing up.

I fully expect (sarcasm ON) that the erring LL's will be hung, drawn and quartered on the worlds biggest monstrosity of a fountain by the URA officers.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 29 Jan 2015 6:56 am

martincymru wrote:Ask yourself the question " if it's a trivial issue then why are the Sg govt getting involved ? "
Under the current URA regulations it appears a trivial issue and what the gov most likely tries to do is to avoid a massacre.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:07 am

I attended the event last night.

There are 1000 hosts (landlords) now in Singapore and it is increasing daily. The govt are worried about the short term lets; complaints from neighbours etc. Many landlords are breaking the law also.

Concern also that some blocks (HDB and condos) are now tourist ghettos.

If this continues then I am sure govt will take steps.

Tax avoidance also discussed !

Obvious the short term rental market is in turmoil. Legislators unsure how to address the complexities.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:34 am

martincymru wrote:I attended the event last night.

There are 1000 hosts (landlords) now in Singapore and it is increasing daily. The govt are worried about the short term lets; complaints from neighbours etc. Many landlords are breaking the law also.

Obvious the short term rental market is in turmoil. Legislators unsure how to address the complexities.
Bottom line:
HDB no go - the owners have a lease. HDB can stop AirBNB in it's tracks.
Private property - I personally consider the URA rules on Short Term Stays to be the result of lobbying by the Singapore Hoteliers Association and I would like to see them challenged. In my view; if the Management Committee for the condo (the owners) decide that they will permit an owner/s to accept short term tenants then that is enough. Otherwise what for we own our own condo freehold?

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:18 am

To PNGMK:

The reality: There is no monitoring, no pro active control and no enforcement ( HDB and Private ).

The whole situation is chaotic.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Jan 2015 1:54 pm

martincymru wrote:To PNGMK:

The reality: There is no monitoring, no pro active control and no enforcement ( HDB and Private ).

The whole situation is chaotic.
Fair enough.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 5:24 am

PNGMK wrote:
martincymru wrote:I attended the event last night.

Bottom line:
HDB no go - the owners have a lease. HDB can stop AirBNB in it's tracks.
Private property - I personally consider the URA rules on Short Term Stays to be the result of lobbying by the Singapore Hoteliers Association and I would like to see them challenged. In my view; if the Management Committee for the condo (the owners) decide that they will permit an owner/s to accept short term tenants then that is enough. Otherwise what for we own our own condo freehold?
If I knew any of the flats adjacent to my flat were defacto a hotel I would never rent the place over there. Short term visitors may be a total mess and serious problem for the regular occupiers especially if the visitors are just tourists staying in SG for a few days only. I don't see any practical means to control such visitors, coming for example drunk, noisy and potentially aggressive in the middle of night or early morning when your kids go out school. No, thank you.

We lived once in a place where such adjacent flat appeared to be rented by a company for their visiting staff. The change over frequency was fortunately not high but definitely it was not the type of the neighbour one may look for, visits of some prostitutes/spgs included.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 8:55 am

x9200 wrote:I don't see any practical means to control such visitors, coming for example drunk, noisy and potentially aggressive in the middle of night or early morning when your kids go out school. No, thank you.
one of my neighbors did have a lot of visitors over the weekends, and invariably they return home at 3 or 4 AM, and the whole floor gets woken up with loud music and noise.

Nobody complained to police - I found out that the guy was on a 3 months temporary contract. All were hoping the guy's contract end so will the weekend friends flying in ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 31 Jan 2015 9:49 am

The problem is, what if one even complains? The LL can not be held responsible for the short-term occupiers and there is no legal means to do anything about it. The police warns them (or not), they leave the country in a day or two and then more come and the mess likely happens rather sooner then later again.

It's not really a rocket science that people just visiting a place for short time are likely to behave very differently than more permanent residents. Regardless the LL's efforts the mess will happen, it's inevitable, so I would not really look here for any other possible reason.

Even if the law is changed to painfully fine the LL in case of his misbehaving guest... then the LLs will likely take a deposit from the guests and then then many of them will abuse it and then what?