Singapore Expats

Living in a Shoebox

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
rohitmulani

Living in a Shoebox

Post by rohitmulani » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:48 am

I'm curious as to how everyone manages to squeeze all their stuff into a common room/studio or single-bedders. The new condos are tiny and don't even have the bomb shelter anymore so there's absolutely no space to store anything - even my suitcase is sitting next to my couch right now.

Does anyone rent storage facilities?

Any ideas or recommendations?

Cheers,
Rohit

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Living in a Shoebox

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:10 pm

One word Ikea! you can buy plenty of space saving solutions from there.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 1:37 pm

Put your stuff to the suitcase and the suitcase underneath the bed.

Beds, sofas, bigger armchairs, if they allow, make an excellent extra storage space. Another place is a built-in living room storage (this sort of shallow wall niche with a door) if present – find a shelf that fits there. Generally the idea is to use unused space that is not that obviously visible from the mid of the room, and, to utilize vertical space. The later is valid for the furniture (stackable) and the space inside the furniture (i.e. boxes or plastic cabinets with the drawers).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 2:43 pm

Bed frames with gas lift up springs to give access to enclosed storage (darned handy and if I didn't have so much invested in our furniture, I'd get one myself!).

http://www.poshbeds.com.sg/bedframe/storage-bed-frame/

There are about half a dozen external storage rental facilities on my links page about 1/3rd the way down the centre column (Moving/Storage). There are more than just those listed. They are springing up everywhere. Sizes from around 1 cubic meter upwards depending how far downwards you can reach into your pockets. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 3:20 pm

Pinterest has a lot of pretty neat ideas of space-saving interior ideas but it usually requires you to custom-make furniture or to drill holes in walls to utilise that wide wall space (a big no-no to many landlords in Singapore).

I would recommend using tall cabinets (like the Billy book cases you can find in Ikea) because it is the only thing than can go high to use wall space.

Actually Lifehacker has nifty suggestions on how to store your stuff, such as keeping your folded shirts in horizontal columns instead of the usual stacks, rolling your towels, etc.

rohitmulani

Post by rohitmulani » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 3:26 pm

Have you guys heard of storage valet services like this one : *** sanitized by Moderator ***?

Its pretty common in the States but these guys seem to be the only one out here in Singapore.

What do you guys think of this?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 3:49 pm

I have a kitchen now with absolutely no storage space. I don't know where my dishes, silverware, or pots and pans will go. Probably shelves in the bomb shelter. :(

rohitmulani

Post by rohitmulani » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 4:22 pm

Don't have a bomb shelter at mine unfortunately. Could use the storage space though I'm glad I'm not paying rent just to store stuff.

Probably going to go with *** sanitized by Moderator ***. found some good coupon codes online for it so getting free storage for 6 months!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 4:24 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I have a kitchen now with absolutely no storage space. I don't know where my dishes, silverware, or pots and pans will go. Probably shelves in the bomb shelter. :(
i thought you were in SF USA, did you move back to Singapore? :-|
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 4:54 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I have a kitchen now with absolutely no storage space. I don't know where my dishes, silverware, or pots and pans will go. Probably shelves in the bomb shelter. :(
He mentioned somewhere before that he managed to rent at 25% lower, so I guess, yes he has move back.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Addadude » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 5:13 pm

rohitmulani wrote:Don't have a bomb shelter at mine unfortunately. Could use the storage space though I'm glad I'm not paying rent just to store stuff.

Probably going to go with *** sanitized by Moderator ***. found some good coupon codes online for it so getting free storage for 6 months!
Hmmm... :-k
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 5:22 pm

rohitmulani wrote:Don't have a bomb shelter at mine unfortunately. Could use the storage space though I'm glad I'm not paying rent just to store stuff.

Looking at you responses within this topic I have to remove all the references you made to this single specific company. Hope you understand.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 5:52 pm

I know the feeling! Every time now, before I start a recipe, ingredients all ready, I then end up on an endless hunt for a particular mixing bowl, whisk or peeler etc. It makes it SO much harder (AND less enjoyable).

The other side of that, is that by the time we get to clear out our kitchen and pack up, there are likely to be 101 'Oh, that's where that went!' ingredients, that'll by then warrant binning.

p.s. It underlines how people need to have a ruthless spring-clean before moving here, as life/space is very unlikely to be easier, given the confines of the space...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 8:29 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Yes, in December

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 26 Jan 2015 8:32 pm

Looking at you responses within this topic I have to remove all the references you made to this single specific company. Hope you understand.

[/quote]

He managed to get further and last longer then most...