Singapore Expats

Can I Work from Home for a Foreign Employer?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Re: Can I Work from Home for a Foreign Employer?

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 Jan 2015 1:45 pm

PNGMK wrote:IF the job he is doing in Singapore for a foreign employer could also be done by a local for the foreign employer then he is actually interfering in the local job market and taking a job off a sinky.
I partly agree, but this sort of interference is not dependent on the person entering the local job market (for a typical scenario) so why should it count?
The part I would agree with is that there may be some remote jobs that are very Singapore specific - a teacher of Singlish for example, more realisticly, a Singapore virtual tour operator (but this on the other hand is not a pure remote job).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Jan 2015 2:58 pm

I think everybody is going off tangent as usual. I believe, in the case at hand, the person is here as a trailing spouse and their home employer has agreed to allow them to work remotely. This does not mean that the job would be there if the trailing spouse went home. It it being done solely to facilitate the retention of a good employee who just happens to have a job that can be done remotely. It doesn't matter where the trailing spouse is located as the work that is being done is online only between the employee and the home office so MOM's and IRAS' positions both make sense in the broader perspective.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

progressiveguy

Post by progressiveguy » Sat, 24 Jan 2015 3:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think everybody is going off tangent as usual. I believe, in the case at hand, the person is here as a trailing spouse and their home employer has agreed to allow them to work remotely. This does not mean that the job would be there if the trailing spouse went home. It it being done solely to facilitate the retention of a good employee who just happens to have a job that can be done remotely. It doesn't matter where the trailing spouse is located as the work that is being done is online only between the employee and the home office so MOM's and IRAS' positions both make sense in the broader perspective.
Agree. Everything goes a little OT now.
Situation: LTVP, employer overseas, contract in foreign country, tax in foreign country.
Due to this: tax has to be considered and declared.