Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Triz

Post by Triz » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:03 am

Rach wrote:
Triz wrote:
Rach wrote: Hi Fanny, yes I know Pauline Goh... But havent came across Florence Foo yet.

Hi, do you know a lady name Trisha Wong?
No..I do not know a Trisha Wong. Are you a FSS with SIA anyway? You seems to know many Stewardess...

To those applying for Silkair & Jetstar...

I have friends with Silkair... heard from them that Silkair is quite good compared to Jetstar though both are budget airline... Not to say about other thing, but the IFA(In Flight Allowances) hourly is much much more for silkair.
Ok la.. Coz i got many friends working in different airline.

Post by Guest » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:56 am

fanny wrote: To those applying for Silkair & Jetstar...

I have friends with Silkair... heard from them that Silkair is quite good compared to Jetstar though both are budget airline... Not to say about other thing, but the IFA(In Flight Allowances) hourly is much much more for silkair.
Erm, Silk air has never been a budget airline!!

Post by Guest » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 4:14 am

jll

Post by jll » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 4:28 am

minty wrote:hi, would like to see some pictures of air stewards and sir stewardesses but can't find on teh internet adn i seldom go to changi airport. would anyone mind to post them here? just would like to see the looks and figures that sia would employ
thks and have a nice day! :lol:

these are the looks that SIA employ. just an example. SIA have a mixture of average-looking girls and pretty looking girls. and mixtures of slim girls and big-size girls. and girls who are age young, like 20 to older age, like 28

so, it depends on the company when and what kind of girls they want. so just keep applying, who knows, u might be the one they are looking for in one of their recruitment.

minty

Post by minty » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:52 pm

thanks for your advice jll, i guess ii have to keep trying or i'll never know. oops i think the pictures could not be posted here. Are you an air stewardess too? Oh, do you mind trying to post hte pictures here agaiin? Thanks

Suzycreamcheeze

Post by Suzycreamcheeze » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 1:01 am

hey does anyone have any idea if the silkair 2nd interview tmw is the only day they are holding it?

seems as thou each person has abt 10 mins with the intervier/s tmw.. cuz a friend of mine has gotten in and her interview time is 10 before mine. wonder what tmw's one will be like.

whatever it is, good luck to all who are going tmw and hope we all kick ass!

see u all tmw!

jll

Post by jll » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 2:09 am

minty wrote:thanks for your advice jll, i guess ii have to keep trying or i'll never know. oops i think the pictures could not be posted here. Are you an air stewardess too? Oh, do you mind trying to post hte pictures here agaiin? Thanks
hi minty,

here is the link to the photos of SIA stewardess.

http://photos.yahoo.com/woohoo123123123

these are the looks that SIA employ. just an example. SIA have a mixture of average-looking girls and pretty looking girls. and mixtures of slim girls and big-size girls. and girls who are age young, like 20 to older age, like 28

so, it depends on the company when and what kind of girls they want. so just keep applying, who knows, u might be the one they are looking for in one of their recruitment.

all the best! =)

Post by Guest » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 3:43 am

hi got this article from my friend's blog. i really find it quite true. some SIA stewardess only treat ang moh much better than asian, even if we are singaporeans, they still us like 2nd-class passengers.

me always fly SIA due to company work. although i personally experience such treatment from the SIA crew, i saw incidents whereby the stewardess smile, curry favor and treat the ang mohs so much better. when comes to asian, their faces change from very smiley and friendly to a face that is expressionless and sometimes even curt, like we asians owe them something.....

they sld really sit down and think about their behaviour.

the real-life story:

Finally got the brains to sit here in front of my old comp to blog. The screen looks smaller now, haven't gotten quite used to it yet.

I made it safely back to singapore (yea!) without any hiccups or trouble. Quite good considering its my first time flying alone. Then again I've been flying with my parents quite often so I'm just imitating whatever they have done.

My trip was so screwed up by this SIA stewardess pauline goh (I think you deserved to be named, along with the rest of the discriminating stewardesses). Here's what happened:

I was wide awake trying to stay awake by watching movies on krisworld and I noticed the "ang moh"s getting approached by the friendly SIA stewardess asking if he wanted breakfast or not. They approached every single ang moh or non-singaporean around me who were awake asking the same thing. Expecting the same "world-class" treatment for me I kept quiet and continued watching my movie. It wasn't before long all the stewardess disappeared and retreated to their quaters.

Of course I noticed the pattern - ang moh get food, ang moh get this ang moh gets that. I wouldn't be complaining if I've got my stuff too right? This was just too much. With a surge of emotions I began spamming the "I need you to come over here" button on the seat. Boy they took their time, I almost gave up looking around and was interrupted while I returned to my movie.

Me:"Eh, are you not serving me breakfast/food just because I'm not an ang moh?"
Stewardess with that fcuked up face: "They ordered it from a menu."
Me: "What menu??"
Stewardess looking pissed: "I'm sorry you weren't given a menu?"
Me: "Obviously."
Stewardess trying to shake off a "ugly singaporean": "I must have missed you, what would you like sir?"
Me: "Nothing. I am thirsty and I've been holding this EMPTY cup for so long, would you mind taking it for me?"
Stewardess takes my cup (she didn't notice it before) and goes off.
Me: "Thank you, much appreciated."

freak UP SERVICE. chee bye I pay so much to take SIA so that I can get some "friendly at-home" service not to get discriminated by your lousy flight stewardess. Before that she even asked me if I wanted to drink wine so I assume that she knows I'm some adult customer at least. Now? screwed up service is all I get. I watch ang mohs getting special treatment while I sit one corner and stone. What is this? I paid the same amount of $$ to board the plane yet the service I get is not as good as an ang moh who paid the same fare?

I took SIA because I wanted to enjoy my flight and for:
- In-flight entertainment (60 movies OMG!)
- Better food. My ass, they reserved the good stuff for ang moh
- Reliability. No delays
- World class service. yeah damn right its world class if you are an ang moh. If you're singaporean then too bad lah sacrifice your needs to please an ang moh.

I tell you Pauline Goh you are soooo WRONG. you think I am one of those idoits who will just sit there and take the crap? NO man I'm sorry I stood up for my rights as a paying customer. I even spoke to your senior air stewardess but I doubt she will do anything. All she did was to transfer you to another row which was kept far far away from me.

Heh, I bet the hidden company policy is just to be world class. How? by stepping on our world-class singaporeans to be higher than world class. Very true but damn sad.

I emplore other Singaporeans who have been discriminated against the ang moh by our world class airline SIA and silkair to stand up for your rights and put up a fight to make things change. Just make a scene, and bloody hell mention the ang mohs as white man so that its so freaking obvious and the ang mohs will understand.

Singapore international airline discriminates against fellow singaporeans.

korin

Post by korin » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 3:50 am

Rach wrote:
fanny wrote:hi rach, do you happen to know a Pauline Goh and a Florence Foo in SIA? they are/were air stewardesses too.
Hi Fanny, yes I know Pauline Goh... But havent came across Florence Foo yet.
hi rach,

do u know a stewardess call rachel lok siew yong. think she has been flying for 5 years, dunno if she is a leading stewardess as u or still a FSS?

and also stewardess call, Ei leen and grace lee huiying and vivien chen ting-an?

KittyKat

Interview Tips

Post by KittyKat » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:46 am

Hi everyone, here's some useful interview tips I got from www.cabincrew.com. Hope it'll be useful for you all. Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Airline Interviews
23 July 2004 -

INTRODUCTION

Congratulations on being invited to attend an airline interview for a position as cabin crew. This in itself is quite an achievement as airlines receive thousands of application forms every year. Of course the application form is only part of the selection process and the actual interview process can be quite a daunting and nerve-racking event.

Below you will find some hints and tips on how to best prepare yourself to perform to the best of your ability during the selection process.

HINTS & TIPS FOR SUCCESS

BEFORE THE INTERVIEW

The Interview Venue

· Check that you are aware of the exact location where the interview is being held.

· Plan your route or journey and allow yourself an extra half hour in case of any unforeseen delays.

·If you are driving make sure you check for parking facilities, and the location of these.

Dress Code & Grooming

·Choose office style smart attire to wear for your interview.

· Ensure that you are well groomed, with clean tidy hair, make up (if applicable) and clean shoes.

· Make sure that you feel comfortable with your appearance.

· Do one final check of your overall appearance prior to arriving at the interview venue and during break times.

Documentation

·If you are required to take documentation with you ensure that you have it all laid out in a smart folder and available for the interviewers to see.

·Always prepare your documents a few days before the interview to ensure that you have all the necessary certificates and paperwork that you require to take with you. If you then realise you are missing copies of certain documents it will give you enough time to find it.

Research and Preparation

· Find out as much as possible about the airline you have applied for. You may be asked at the interview information to prove your background knowledge and interest. Typical information includes history of the airline, aircraft in the fleet and route network.

Nerves

·It is perfectly normal to feel nervous before and during the interview process. Prior to attending the interview ensure that you spend some time relaxing and that you get a good night’s sleep before.

·To help your nerves take deep breaths and remember that the recruitment team will make allowances for the fact that people are nervous.

·Prior preparation will help to ease nerves.

DURING THE INTERVIEW PROCESS

Communication With People You Meet

·From the minute you arrive at the interview you will be assessed by the recruitment team. Your appearance, your welcoming behaviour and warm disposition will be crucial at this stage as first impressions are vital.

·Make use of the time you have available prior to starting to get to know the other candidates attending the interview. Try to memorise names and other information you may find out from the other candidates.

·Remember to always address people in a friendly and mannered way.

·Never try to be someone you are not. Be yourself. Recruitment personnel are highly trained and will spot anyone who tries to impress by being someone they are not.

Body Language

·Your body language will be vital during the whole recruitment event, and you must maintain open body language to make you appear welcoming and receptive to the recruitment team and fellow candidates.

Team Work & Exercises

·At almost all airline interviews you will be required to take part in team work exercises. Ensure that you are an open communicator with all team members, and that you participate in all discussions and exercises.

·It is advisable that you are aware of current affairs and news relating to the airline industry. Some exercises may involve subjects relating to these.

·Remember during exercises you have to be friendly and open with other candidates.

Examples of areas discussed during interviews

·During the interview process you may be asked questions and have to complete exercises on the following subjects:

o Team Work

o Communication

o Customer Service

o Safety

o Current Affairs

o Airline Industry

Have examples prepared on the above subjects as the interviewing panel may ask you to give examples of previous experience and / or knowledge on the above.

Questions

· Think of good questions to ask about at the interview. You will normally be given the opportunity to ask the recruitment team any questions you may have.

· Questions must be relevant to the company and the job. Avoid asking questions on issues that have been covered during any presentations given to you by the recruitment team.

AFTER THE INTERVIEW

Remember to thank the recruitment team for inviting you to attend an interview. Recruitment teams in airlines work hard during such events and your genuine appreciation will be welcomed.

Remember that in some airlines the recruitment process may be divided into different sessions. This may be completed in one day or in some cases you will be invited to attend on a later date.

Never ask for feedback on your performance as airlines never provide such information. In addition after you have left the recruitment team will still be discussing your performance and assessing your qualities.

--ENDS--

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 1:47 pm

Anonymous wrote:hi got this article from my friend's blog. i really find it quite true. some SIA stewardess only treat ang moh much better than asian, even if we are singaporeans, they still us like 2nd-class passengers.

me always fly SIA due to company work. although i personally experience such treatment from the SIA crew, i saw incidents whereby the stewardess smile, curry favor and treat the ang mohs so much better. when comes to asian, their faces change from very smiley and friendly to a face that is expressionless and sometimes even curt, like we asians owe them something.....

they sld really sit down and think about their behaviour.

the real-life story:

Finally got the brains to sit here in front of my old comp to blog. The screen looks smaller now, haven't gotten quite used to it yet.

I made it safely back to singapore (yea!) without any hiccups or trouble. Quite good considering its my first time flying alone. Then again I've been flying with my parents quite often so I'm just imitating whatever they have done.

My trip was so screwed up by this SIA stewardess pauline goh (I think you deserved to be named, along with the rest of the discriminating stewardesses). Here's what happened:

I was wide awake trying to stay awake by watching movies on krisworld and I noticed the "ang moh"s getting approached by the friendly SIA stewardess asking if he wanted breakfast or not. They approached every single ang moh or non-singaporean around me who were awake asking the same thing. Expecting the same "world-class" treatment for me I kept quiet and continued watching my movie. It wasn't before long all the stewardess disappeared and retreated to their quaters.

Of course I noticed the pattern - ang moh get food, ang moh get this ang moh gets that. I wouldn't be complaining if I've got my stuff too right? This was just too much. With a surge of emotions I began spamming the "I need you to come over here" button on the seat. Boy they took their time, I almost gave up looking around and was interrupted while I returned to my movie.

Me:"Eh, are you not serving me breakfast/food just because I'm not an ang moh?"
Stewardess with that fcuked up face: "They ordered it from a menu."
Me: "What menu??"
Stewardess looking pissed: "I'm sorry you weren't given a menu?"
Me: "Obviously."
Stewardess trying to shake off a "ugly singaporean": "I must have missed you, what would you like sir?"
Me: "Nothing. I am thirsty and I've been holding this EMPTY cup for so long, would you mind taking it for me?"
Stewardess takes my cup (she didn't notice it before) and goes off.
Me: "Thank you, much appreciated."

freak UP SERVICE. chee bye I pay so much to take SIA so that I can get some "friendly at-home" service not to get discriminated by your lousy flight stewardess. Before that she even asked me if I wanted to drink wine so I assume that she knows I'm some adult customer at least. Now? screwed up service is all I get. I watch ang mohs getting special treatment while I sit one corner and stone. What is this? I paid the same amount of $$ to board the plane yet the service I get is not as good as an ang moh who paid the same fare?

I took SIA because I wanted to enjoy my flight and for:
- In-flight entertainment (60 movies OMG!)
- Better food. My ass, they reserved the good stuff for ang moh
- Reliability. No delays
- World class service. yeah damn right its world class if you are an ang moh. If you're singaporean then too bad lah sacrifice your needs to please an ang moh.

I tell you Pauline Goh you are soooo WRONG. you think I am one of those idoits who will just sit there and take the crap? NO man I'm sorry I stood up for my rights as a paying customer. I even spoke to your senior air stewardess but I doubt she will do anything. All she did was to transfer you to another row which was kept far far away from me.

Heh, I bet the hidden company policy is just to be world class. How? by stepping on our world-class singaporeans to be higher than world class. Very true but damn sad.

I emplore other Singaporeans who have been discriminated against the ang moh by our world class airline SIA and silkair to stand up for your rights and put up a fight to make things change. Just make a scene, and bloody hell mention the ang mohs as white man so that its so freaking obvious and the ang mohs will understand.

Singapore international airline discriminates against fellow singaporeans.
This seems to be the usual ranting by Singaporeans that I come across so often. I do not know how you can call Pauline Goh an idiot, since I doubt that you even know her! When you use expressions such as; 'stewardess with that f******d up face and that p****d look, it says a lot about your calibre of intelligence. Furthermore I have never seen any evidence that the crew discriminate between one race or another. As regards the food they do not reserve the good stuff for the 'Ang Mohs' as you put it. The food is, in case you have not noticed, comes prepacked and is carefully measured to be exactly the same weight and proportion in each item. You are like so many Singaporeans for whatever the reason very jealous of the aircrew in your country.

Rach

Post by Rach » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 2:03 pm

korin wrote:
Rach wrote:
fanny wrote:hi rach, do you happen to know a Pauline Goh and a Florence Foo in SIA? they are/were air stewardesses too.
Hi Fanny, yes I know Pauline Goh... But havent came across Florence Foo yet.
hi rach,

do u know a stewardess call rachel lok siew yong. think she has been flying for 5 years, don't know if she is a leading stewardess as u or still a FSS?

and also stewardess call, Ei leen and grace lee huiying and vivien chen ting-an?

Hi Korine...

No offence... but instead of asking me if i know this Stewardess.. if i know that Stewardess.... why dont you go and ask them (i suppose they are your friends) if they know me annot...

If not, am i suppose to provide you with a list of all my friends in SQ?

Cheery

Post by Cheery » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 2:41 pm

Hi Rach,

How is the crew culture like in SQ? U've been flying for a long time? In ur own opinion, do u think its a long term career for us? Been pondering abt the prospects, as I understand u can fly until u retire....hardly do i see any old (more than 40yrs old) stewardesses on board.. Thanks! :)

rpammi

Post by rpammi » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 3:53 pm

just wondering,,y do airlines,,dont note tht applying candidates ,have to be single,,and the age range...does tht mean tht 28 or 29 yr olds can still apply,,wat abt married slim women???
anyone knows what kind of girls do JetStar ,Silkair take in ??? anyone,married n still flying ??

Ex-SGirl

Post by Ex-SGirl » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 4:55 pm

rpammi wrote:just wondering,,y do airlines,,dont note tht applying candidates ,have to be single,,and the age range...does tht mean tht 28 or 29 yr olds can still apply,,wat abt married slim women???
anyone knows what kind of girls do JetStar ,Silkair take in ??? anyone,married n still flying ??
I was an SIA girl and I'd like to clarify on the age issue here.
There was this girl aged 28 during my round of interview and she made it through!

I must highlight to those aspire Flight Stewardess that a clear complexion, neat and presentable appearance is very very important. Do not wear sexy and expose clothings for the interview. Please put on light make up, and not 'party' make up.

One of the important criteria when they ask you about your hobby is that you must like reading... so, tell that your hobby is reading and listening to music....

I must also highlight to you that it is not compulsory that pretty girl will make it for the interviews. Even one of our Channel8 celebrity can't even make it after 3 rounds of interview!

Be honest and enjoy the entire process of the interview. The more nervous you are, the lesser chance you will make it.... cuz since you can't manage the interviewer, how can they trust you with over 300 passengers onboard?

All the Best! :lol: