Singapore Expats

Long Term Visit Pass for parents

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
insingapore2014

Long Term Visit Pass for parents

Post by insingapore2014 » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 7:09 pm

Hi, I wanted to apply for a LTVP for my parents. Though they don't want to stay in Singapore continuously, but they will visit frequently, so I wanted to apply for LTVP to avoid the hassle of applying for visa every time.

I have a couple of doubts, I'd appreciate if someone could help me out.

1. I misplaced my birth certificate and am unable to get a new one from my village. However, I do have an affidavit from the court, and my parents name is also on my passport and my class 10 and 12 certificates. Would this work?

2 I am on P1 pass, salary 10K+, working for a well known company, but they don't sponsor LTVP for parents. How do I get a sponsorship in this case. i spoke to a consultant, and they said they can help if I paid them $1000 for each visa.

I came to Singapore about 6 months ago, my younger brother is a student here.

Any pointers on this?

Thanks.

Sgcn

Post by Sgcn » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 7:48 pm

where are you from?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Long Term Visit Pass for parents

Post by taxico » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:22 pm

insingapore2014 wrote:...How do I get a sponsorship in this case. i spoke to a consultant, and they said they can help if I paid them $1000 for each visa...
don't pay them... not yet, anyway!!!

and how old is your brother? what type of school?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

insingapore2014

Post by insingapore2014 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:15 am

taxico wrote:
insingapore2014 wrote:...How do I get a sponsorship in this case. i spoke to a consultant, and they said they can help if I paid them $1000 for each visa...
don't pay them... not yet, anyway!!!

and how old is your brother? what type of school?
My brother's around 27...doing his MBA here!

insingapore2014

Post by insingapore2014 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:16 am

Sgcn wrote:where are you from?
Sorry, should have mentioned. I am from India..have a masters degree from US and engineering degree from India.

insingapore2014

Post by insingapore2014 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:17 am

Emergency123 wrote:
insingapore2014 wrote: 1. I misplaced my birth certificate and am unable to get a new one from my village. However, I do have an affidavit from the court, and my parents name is also on my passport and my class 10 and 12 certificates. Would this work?
You can go to the High Commission of India ( Grange Road ) with your passport and they will give you a Birth cert with details copied off the passport in about an hour ( for money of course :D ) . This is a document that is acceptable to ICA.

You will also have a brief encounter with Indian government official grumpiness :roll:
Thanks a lot. This is great information.
Do I need to take an appointment or something, or I just walk in?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:16 am

insingapore2014 wrote:Hi, I wanted to apply for a LTVP for my parents. Though they don't want to stay in Singapore continuously, but they will visit frequently, so I wanted to apply for LTVP to avoid the hassle of applying for visa every time.

...2 I am on P1 pass, salary 10K+, working for a well known company, but they don't sponsor LTVP for parents. How do I get a sponsorship in this case. i spoke to a consultant, and they said they can help if I paid them $1000 for each visa.

I came to Singapore about 6 months ago, my younger brother is a student here...
i asked about how old your brother is/what school he's in because at least your mom would qualify for a pass if he's under 21 and in a legitimate educational institution. but seeing he's not... that avenue is closed.

this sponsorship thing... i believe you can sponsor them instead of paying someone to do so. you may have to search around to find the specific details. i will paste the link here if i can find it.

finally... how often will your parents actually visit? and for how long each time? does your dad need to work? if it's going to be < 90 days out of 365 days... they might not need anything more than a tourist visa, although if you want to be sure they don't get turned away at the border, an LTVP is definitely the way to go.

anyhow... good luck!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:20 am

taxico wrote:[.

finally... how often will your parents actually visit? and for how long each time? does your dad need to work? if it's going to be < 90 days out of 365 days... they might not need anything more than a tourist visa, although if you want to be sure they don't get turned away at the border, an LTVP is definitely the way to go.

anyhow... good luck!
OP is from India -> visa in advance > but can get multiple entry visa though

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 1:42 am

ooooh. i forgot about that...!

UrbanNomad

Post by UrbanNomad » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 7:01 pm

insingapore2014 wrote:Hi, I wanted to apply for a LTVP for my parents.
Any pointers on this?

Thanks.
Were you able to manage this? Any issues faced?

While i have all the documents required, i am wondering on the procedure for the same.