Singapore Expats

RE: IR8E for employee

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
yojunhao

RE: IR8E for employee

Post by yojunhao » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 4:35 pm

Just a few helps needed from the expats.
Let's say for instance i have an employee who joined on 01-12-2014, as his employer - Do i have to file for him his IR8E?
Just some info for this guy, he is only receiving housing allowance of $2500 and is paid frm overseas. But he will be here for 2years.

yojunhao

Re: RE: IR8E for employee

Post by yojunhao » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:31 pm

Anyone?

Sent from Yojunhao's tapatalk

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Jan 2015 11:45 pm

yojunhao

Post by yojunhao » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 9:37 am

Hi, even if he is in singapore for less than 183 days and have to pay tax in his home country ?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 9:46 am

yojunhao wrote:Hi, even if he is in singapore for less than 183 days and have to pay tax in his home country ?

Yes. Because unless he is exempted, which is likely not the case, people working in Singapore for less than 183 days must pay income tax at non-resident tax rates.

yojunhao

Post by yojunhao » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 9:48 am

Am i wrong to say that if he is employed for 60 days or less in the year 2014. His short term enployment income is exempted frm tax. No?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:13 am

yojunhao wrote:Am i wrong to say that if he is employed for 60 days or less in the year 2014. His short term enployment income is exempted frm tax. No?
You could possibly be wrong. But generally yes it would be exempt. However, should he work for one month. coast here living with friends for several months and then finding another job where his total stay is over, say 3 to 5 months, you could find yourself in brown stuff. Additionally, if you take up a position after the 2nd of November and it carries forward into the new year, then you will NOT get the first two months free of tax. however, if you continue to work for a total of 183+ days straddling the two years (on a valid EP) then IRAS will tax you only a resident rates (or you will have to file an amended return once you exceed the 183 days.) If you work 50 days at the end of one year and 50 day in the beginning of the next year (only), you will be taxed at non-resident rates of 15% for both years. If you start a job in November and don't know how long the position will last, IRAS will generally compute your tax based on the EP you hold, e.g., if it's valid for 12 months or more, then they will use resident rates. However, should you leave before working for 183 days then when your employer files the IR-21 (Tax Clearance), you will be whacked for the 15% less any taxes already paid. HTH

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=6142

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:18 am

yojunhao wrote:Am i wrong to say that if he is employed for 60 days or less in the year 2014. His short term enployment income is exempted frm tax. No?

He, and you, may well be exempted... but instead of asking me, you need to go to the IRAS website and decide for yourself what you want to do.

None of us here know your circumstances, nor that of your employee. Do your own homework... you've got the link.