Singapore Expats

DBS vs. CitiBank: Opening accounts vs. ease of use

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: DBS vs. CitiBank: Opening accounts vs. ease of use

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 08 Jan 2015 6:06 pm

I still have my citibank account in India that my 1st employer opened for me to credit my salary, it was in Apr 2002. 12 years Citi customer :) In 2002 they started a revolution in India of branchless banking. Citi used to charge 100Rs if you do any transaction at the teller, not sure if they do now. I still remember how scary it was to drop a cheque into the ATM drop box, wondering whether it will hit the account or not :).

Ofcourse now in India, ICICI is the top bank and citi has lost a bit of its sheen.

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Fri, 09 Jan 2015 1:15 pm

My Citi ATM card ONLY works in Citi ATMS.
Tested in desperation and in non desperation.

Oh i went to change my phone number with them the other day. It took 5 business days.
Like we don't live in a world of technology...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 09 Jan 2015 4:25 pm

Dert42 wrote:My Citi ATM card ONLY works in Citi ATMS.
Tested in desperation and in non desperation.

Oh i went to change my phone number with them the other day. It took 5 business days.
Like we don't live in a world of technology...
You can use ANZ ATMs.

Any address / contact changes seem to take time. To do with fraud I guess.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 09 Jan 2015 4:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atm%E2%81%B5
atm? is an interbank network in Singapore, connecting the ATMs of six of Singapore's eight qualifying full banks, with the non-participating QFBs being BNP Paribas and ICICI. As of 2006, there are 143 atm? ATMs island-wide. The network was established in April 2005.

atm? is also one of the few interbank networks that does not charge its customers for transactions via another member bank's ATM, having removed all interbank transaction charges on April 4, 2006.

atm? is the primary network of the following banks listed below:

Citibank Singapore
HSBC
Maybank
ANZ
Standard Chartered Bank
State Bank of India
My address change and phone number change took about a day, but I did it online. If you do it at a branch (paper form) then yes it has taken me 5+ days.

khoa.d.pham

Post by khoa.d.pham » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 4:55 am

Hi all.

For repatriating money back to Australia, what would be the bank which you would recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

khoa.d.pham

Post by khoa.d.pham » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 4:59 am

aster wrote:
russch wrote:What is considered average vs. good on mileage accrual on local cards? I get 3x per 1$ on travel and 2x on dining/entertainment as a baseline. Just curious..
3. Must-have cards. Here the big one is ironically the Woman's World MC (WWMC), which of course you can still apply for as a guy. This card gives 4 miles/$ on online spend up to a $2k limit (8k miles) per month. Don't be so worried about the online aspect though. You can use this card to top-up prepaid debit cards like the Imagine AMEX card (they allow up to $1000 balance, but you can have up to 5 cards registered). This way you get the 4 miles/$ just for topping up, and then you can use the prepaid Imagine Amex for your regular spend... at Cold Storage for instance. BOTTOM LINE: this is an easy way to spend $2k each month for a guaranteed 8,000 miles.
Hi Aster, is there a fee for loading to the Imagine Card? Also do you know if there are any MasterCard or visa prepaid which you can do the top up with and still get the 4 points?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 5:37 am

khoa.d.pham wrote:Hi all.

For repatriating money back to Australia, what would be the bank which you would recommend?
* is it a one-time thing or would it be recurring?
* how much money would it be?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

khoa.d.pham

Post by khoa.d.pham » Wed, 21 Jan 2015 5:39 am

nakatago wrote:
khoa.d.pham wrote:Hi all.

* is it a one-time thing or would it be recurring?
* how much money would it be?
Recurring, it would be at least 80k a year and probably spread over a couple of transfer per year.