Singapore Expats

No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30pm?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
x9200

Re: No more public drinking and retail of alcohol post 10.30

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 1:39 pm

BTW:

18. *Any person who is found drunk and incapable of taking care of himself, in any public road or in any public place or place of public amusement or resort, or in the immediate vicinity of any court or of any public office or police station or place of worship, shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months.
(CHAPTER 184)

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:44 pm

I read somewhere that it is limited to Little India and Geylang? Am I wrong?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:48 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:I read somewhere that it is limited to Little India and Geylang? Am I wrong?

Its Islandwide
Life is short, paddle harder!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:49 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:I read somewhere that it is limited to Little India and Geylang? Am I wrong?
Yes. Those two areas actually just have stricter rules and time periods. I thought the same thing too, as one of the newspaper articles were vague and only showed maps of those areas.

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 2:50 pm

The cops will have a field day enforcing this on the Malacca Bridge by Clarke Quay!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 3:25 pm

^
LOL

There still doesn't seem to be any talk on crowd/traffic control on Sundays in Little India and Geylang, its choc a bloc full of pedestrian and vehicular traffic and its only a matter of time before someone gets mowed down.
But yes I see the priority is making the place alcohol free than congregation of tens of thousands of foreign workers in certain areas on a weekend.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 3:34 pm

x9200 wrote:BTW:

18. *Any person who is found drunk and incapable of taking care of himself, in any public road or in any public place or place of public amusement or resort, or in the immediate vicinity of any court or of any public office or police station or place of worship, shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month and, in the case of a second or subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months.
(CHAPTER 184)
I'm screwed...the last time I got pissed out drunk, I was going back with an NR6 bus from Purvis St area...I dozed off after some drunk texting, then the next thing I knew, I was sleeping beside a bus stop at Sengkang area, being woken up by a uni student...(4 am in the morning though)

Would I be charged if such a thing was seen by a cop?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 4:04 pm

Probably.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 4:20 pm

Bah, I wouldn't be so concerned about it. In other countries, you can't even consume alcohol in public at any time of the day.

Be happy that we can still drink (expensive) alcohol the usual way (pubs, bars, private places).

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 4:41 pm

What about places like the barbecue pits at East Coast Parkway? Do these rules apply there? Some ex-colleagues and myself like to rent one occasionally to have a few drinks and eat badly cooked prawns. That would be a real shame.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 5:39 pm

Akimbo wrote:I'm screwed...the last time I got pissed out drunk, I was going back with an NR6 bus from Purvis St area...I dozed off after some drunk texting, then the next thing I knew, I was sleeping beside a bus stop at Sengkang area, being woken up by a uni student...(4 am in the morning though)

Would I be charged if such a thing was seen by a cop?
I would expect them to try to wake you up first and convince to disappear. Only if this not possible then take action. Nobody likes to drive with biohazard at the back seat and they probably have no special vehicle for this.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 5:51 pm

So no more East Coast Park BBQs?

Sucks to be you! :P :P :P
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 6:17 pm

Akimbo wrote: I'm screwed...the last time I got pissed out drunk, I was going back with an NR6 bus from Purvis St area...I dozed off after some drunk texting, then the next thing I knew, I was sleeping beside a bus stop at Sengkang area, being woken up by a uni student...(4 am in the morning though)
One time (London) I was travelling from Kensington, home to Aldgate after a night in the pub (3 miles? District Line on the tube). I fell asleep on the last train and woke up at the terminus at Upminster, maybe 25 miles outside of London with no trains back for 5 hours. Actually I did that a few times. One time I woke up and my shoelaces had been stolen and a love-heart drawn in lipstick on the crutch of my jeans. Mmm klassy :shock: :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 7:46 pm

nutnut wrote:So no more East Coast Park BBQs?

Sucks to be you! :P :P :P
Minor inconvenience of substitute packaging.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 7:54 pm

This is a much better article I found someone post on Facebook. Just ignore the authors obvious bias and agenda.

http://qz.com/329426/singapores-ban-on- ... -laborers/