Singapore Expats

Getting to eat 'proper food' again...

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Getting to eat 'proper food' again...

Post by Miss Swan » Thu, 25 Dec 2014 6:09 am

I don't know if 2 years of home-cooking and eating with my husband's family (foodie family!) has made me snooty...but seeing my Singapore friends posting up Facebook pictures of Western dinners with taglines like "Epic dinner!" or "Best steak ever!" make me laugh. Because all I see are amateur cuts of meat, overcooked steaks, runny gravy that look like instant mix, or meat drenched in gravy and no decent roast potatoes or salad (plain steamed broccoli and cauliflowers carelessly thrown onto the plate). :P

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:44 am

1.Salivation and Jade of India on Race Course road. The first one is a fusion vegetarian cafe while the second serves up a mix of Indian and Indian-Chinese.
In Both places the staff are quite cheerful, we had a meal for two yesterday 40$ consisting of a cauliflower manchurian, tandoori chicken and some Vegetable chopsuey noodles.

Both these places are right next to each other and owned by the same management. The salivation menu is also available in Jade of India.

2. Robert Timms cafe on Orchard, right next to Somerset 313. they make good cafes and cakes.
cheerful people too, you can have a chat with them while waiting for your coffee.
Last edited by rajagainstthemachine on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 2:18 pm

Is this the same Canadian Tim Horton's?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 2:50 pm

I think he confused Robert Timm's with Tim Horton's...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 2:53 pm

the lynx wrote:I think he confused Robert Timm's with Tim Horton's...
sorry! my bad! ^ Robert Timms is what I meant :oops:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 4:21 pm

Lol wow. Talk about night and day.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 4:39 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Lol wow. Talk about night and day.
hows one over the other? I haven't had a coffee in Tim Horton's, its canadian isn't it ?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 4:59 pm

I've tried Tim Horton's. Yes it is Canadian, and no I don't drink coffee (so I don't know how good it is), but yes the sandwiches and Timbits are amazingly tasty, and no Timbits are no longer around, because yes Burger King bought over Tim Horton's and killed Timbits to restructure menu, so NooOOoo.........!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:56 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
hows one over the other? I haven't had a coffee in Tim Horton's, its canadian isn't it ?
Tim Horton's is like a McDonalds that serves coffee and donuts. I'd actually say it is a Dunkin' Donuts clone, but you may not know what that is. :)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 8:37 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Tim Horton's is like a McDonalds that serves coffee and donuts. I'd actually say it is a Dunkin' Donuts clone, but you may not know what that is. :)
I've had dunkin donuts before, I think Krispy kreme are better, although I had heard of Tim Hortons I'd never really had a cup of coffee there.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:29 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote: I've had dunkin donuts before, I think Krispy kreme are better, although I had heard of Tim Hortons I'd never really had a cup of coffee there.
There are groups of people in North America that like to knock "fancy coffee" (basically anything that isn't drip), and insist Tim Hortons/Dunkin Donuts coffee is great.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:37 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: I've had dunkin donuts before, I think Krispy kreme are better, although I had heard of Tim Hortons I'd never really had a cup of coffee there.
There are groups of people in North America that like to knock "fancy coffee" (basically anything that isn't drip), and insist Tim Hortons/Dunkin Donuts coffee is great.
Ever since Mickey D's started with the McCafes, the perception of their coffee has changed. Whereas it used to be automatically associated with overpriced instant coffee, it's now just pretentious fast food barista coffee.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:50 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Ever since Mickey D's started with the McCafes, the perception of their coffee has changed. Whereas it used to be automatically associated with overpriced instant coffee, it's now just pretentious fast food barista coffee.
McD coffee overpriced? :o It was/is .99 cents. Wtf do people want, someone to pay them to drink the coffee for them? Honestly it sounds like a lot of non-coffee fans bitching about something they don't really understand. I don't appreciate the difference between some $19 vs $800 bottle of wine, but I don't go around bitching about it either.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:01 am

zzm9980 wrote:McD coffee overpriced? :o It was/is .99 cents. Wtf do people want, someone to pay them to drink the coffee for them? Honestly it sounds like a lot of non-coffee fans bitching about something they don't really understand. I don't appreciate the difference between some $19 vs $800 bottle of wine, but I don't go around bitching about it either.
There was a time (at least in the Philippines) where they'll hand you a cup of hot water and packets of instant coffee (McD branded), creamer and sugar. Between then and now, of course, they went through gradual improvements.

Sheesh....you're on edge a lot lately.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 20 Jan 2015 11:04 am

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
McD coffee overpriced? :o It was/is .99 cents. Wtf do people want, someone to pay them to drink the coffee for them? Honestly it sounds like a lot of non-coffee fans bitching about something they don't really understand. I don't appreciate the difference between some $19 vs $800 bottle of wine, but I don't go around bitching about it either.
99c ?? Hello! what world are you in ? they sell lattes and caps and the like, and in terms of prices they are up there with the rest of the coffee shops
https://www.mcdonalds.com.sg/our-food/menu/mccafe/