Singapore Expats

Cancelling EP/DPs - how long can child stay in locsl school?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
aster
Manager
Manager

Cancelling EP/DPs - how long can child stay in locsl school?

Post by aster » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 3:08 pm

I understand that after one's last day at work the EP/DPs are cancelled and 30-day short stay passes/visas are issued.

What happens if someone has a child in a local school? Can the child continue going to school during those 30 days (up until departure) or is he or she no longer allowed to attend a local primary school once the 30-day passes are issued?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Cancelling EP/DPs - how long can child stay in locsl sch

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 3:23 pm

The child would have to depart along with the parents unless a Student's pass is somehow gotten in that month SVP. Otherwise, I fear the child would lose their place in the school. Remember, the child in only in the school in the first place due to the fact that the sponsoring parent is on an employment pass. Once that's gone, the family are tourists and have no 'rights' to schooling in a local OR International School as they would need some form of residency permit for either.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks sms - can the child still go to school during that last month before departure after an EP is cancelled and a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) issued?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 10:34 pm

I really don't have an answer for that one. I reckon that is one that the MOE would have to answer. It might not be published but I am sure it has happened enough times in the past three years that they have probably answered that question several times
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 08 Jan 2015 6:18 pm

I am afraid the answer is no. One of friend mentioned to me about this issue. Apparently the school somehow got to know that the DPs have been cancelled and the kids were not allowed to attend school.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 10 Jan 2015 2:37 pm

aster wrote:Thanks sms - can the child still go to school during that last month before departure after an EP is cancelled and a 30-day Short Term Visit Pass (STVP) issued?
This is a problem for International Schools - not sure about local ones - they will ask to see the DP/SP at the beginning of the school year at least.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!