Singapore Expats

Thinking of moving to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Compo

Thinking of moving to Singapore

Post by Compo » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 9:51 pm

Hi All!

I'm thinking of a move to Singapore for a year or two with my company and this looks like the place to ask! This enquiry is at a very early stage so I have limited information at the moment.

Firstly a little about myself.

Male
35 (in February anyway!)
Single
Currently living in Peterborough, UK

This is the first place I've asked after looking over the forums quickly so please excuse any stupid questions! I'll start with the agreed template.

Priorities:
- your budget - approx SNG 5000 - 7000 per month
- your workplace/s - Science Park Road
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking - 1 Bedroom, flat/condo is fine. Would be nice to have a gym and swimming pool but not essential
- will you have a car here? - Reading the forums public transport is fine and owning a car sounds like an expense I don't need. I'm fine with the London underground so I don't see it being a problem.
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). - Somewhere near to a subway station would be nice.
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? - No children
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? - Probably I will pay initially but claim back from employer. Or I may have an allowance, I'm unsure if that is included in the 5 to 7000 per month?

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? - Would be nice to be within walking distance of shops, bars, entertainment. I would rather live somewhere nice and have a longer commute than be right next door to the office. As long as I have an xBox, TV and internet connection I'm normally happy! Although don't think that will make me a hermit! I love travel and experiencing the local culture!

- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? - I'm guessing snowboarding is out of the question haha!
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? - No Pets
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) - N/A

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? - Love London so quite happy in the hustle and bustle
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? N/A
- what are any current commute times like? - 20 Minutes

Is there any areas I should avoid for residence?

What is the nightlife like?

What are the 3 things that you wish somebody had told you before you arrived?

Thanks in advance and I hope to see you soon!

Matt

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Thinking of moving to Singapore

Post by the lynx » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:11 am

1. Regarding your budget and your employer's contribution, the original template is meant to explore if your accommodation or other living expenses is covered by your employer as part of your expat package. Ideally, it should be, either by covering the total cost of accommodation (like temporary one-month or 2-week accommodation in hotel or Service Apartment while scouting for a lease, monthly rental and agent fees - or part of what I've listed), OR by giving you a fixed sum of money per month for your accommodation). You should negotiate for that. If that is the case, it is outside of your SGD5000-7000 range.

If your accommodation is not covered, your stated range is still alright. Living like a local is cheap and you can rent a room in a condominium (with access to gym and pool) with other expats as your roommates, instead of a whole unit by yourself.

Remember, your simple pleasures in UK like shortbread, liquorice and tea is considered as premium in Singapore with premium prices too. Alcohol is not cheap too. Singapore is a good place to cure alcoholism :P

2. Nightlife is alright, with a mix of local and expat crowds. I think it is average but towards the dry end. Not fun (enough).

3. Three things I wish somebody had told me before I arrive:
a) I should have negotiated for better package. Once you're here on a bad package, you're stuck because your next new employers in Singapore would want to know how much you earn in the previous employment so that they can offer you the closest they can get to your previous package.

b) I should have just thrown away my stuff back home instead of keeping them. Except mementos. It saves a lot of space and time, because I ended throwing them all away few years later. Should have done that when I had the chance.

c) No baggage. Things change, especially when you live away from home. Whatever you expect to be there for you back home, it won't be the same to you anymore and you won't be the same to it too. If it is meant for you, it would stay/come back for you no matter what. Eg: Ideology, long-distance relationship, belief system, friendships, family.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 12:15 pm

the lynx wrote:Alcohol is not cheap too. Singapore is a good place to cure alcoholism :P
Don't count on it. Sooner one gets bankrupt developing depression which in turn will need to be cured with more alcohol.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 1:47 pm

Sure didn't stop 3 of my Brother in Laws. (Two already permanently stopped. One more waiting in the wings..... :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 2:45 pm

Compo wrote: - your budget - approx SNG 5000 - 7000 per month
- your workplace/s - Science Park Road
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking - 1 Bedroom, flat/condo is fine. Would be nice to have a gym and swimming pool but not essential
- will you have a car here? - Reading the forums public transport is fine and owning a car sounds like an expense I don't need. I'm fine with the London underground so I don't see it being a problem.
- proximity to transport required. MRT-subway/buses/the airport/Malay border post (if so, which one). - Somewhere near to a subway station would be nice.
- will you have any accompanying children needing to attend school? If so, age/s? - No children
- will your employer being funding any fees; or will you, 'out of pocket'? - Probably I will pay initially but claim back from employer. Or I may have an allowance, I'm unsure if that is included in the 5 to 7000 per month?
For your work location and budget, I think you should consider Buona Vista, Alexandra Road/Redhill, Farrer Road and Pasir Panjang Road. There'll be plenty of apartments/condos within your budget and they'll be within easy reach of your workplace and the CBD/shopping/nightlife areas of Singapore. And apartment rentals are coming down so you've picked a good time to move here. Make sure your employer pays for a either hotel accommodation or a Serviced Apartment for you to stay in until you find your preferred place to live.

Compo wrote: Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on? - Would be nice to be within walking distance of shops, bars, entertainment. I would rather live somewhere nice and have a longer commute than be right next door to the office. As long as I have an xBox, TV and internet connection I'm normally happy! Although don't think that will make me a hermit! I love travel and experiencing the local culture!
See above. I don't foresee you having any issues here. Travel around the region is VERY easy and affordable.
Compo wrote: - access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? - I'm guessing snowboarding is out of the question haha!
- are you considering bringing any pets. If so what kind, and will they require outdoor access and/or exercise? - No Pets
- are you considering bringing any parents/in-laws etc? Do they have specific needs (for example difficulty climbing stairs?) - N/A
Now you have the perfect excuse to take up a new sport or hobby. Dragon Boat racing? Scuba Diving? (Not so much in Singapore but certainly around the region.)
Compo wrote:Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet? - Love London so quite happy in the hustle and bustle
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? N/A
- what are any current commute times like? - 20 Minutes
If you're okay with the hustle and bustle of London, you'll be fine with Singapore. All of the places I mentioned above should be within a 20 minute (or less) commute of Science Park.
Compo wrote: Is there any areas I should avoid for residence?

What is the nightlife like?

Thanks in advance and I hope to see you soon!

Matt
Areas to avoid? Only places that are too far away for a reasonable commute. The East Coast is really nice but the commuting time would not suit you. There are no 'no go' areas in Singapore. You'll have to work very hard at it to find yourself in any kind of predicament.

Nightlife? Lots of choices. Singapore is certainly not a party town but there are plenty of places to go to throw away your money.

1. If you are working for a locally-run company, don't believe ANYTHING the boss tells you about the cost of living here or about how wonderful the company is.

2. To repeat Lynx's point, get the best deal financially that you possibly can. Singapore will hit you in the pocket in a surprising amount of ways.

3. If you have any English staples that you just can't live without, stock up on them before you come. They'll either be stupidly expensive or unavailable. You'll be distinctly underwhelmed by the lack of variety of daily necessities in shops and supermarkets here.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 3:14 pm

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:Alcohol is not cheap too. Singapore is a good place to cure alcoholism :P
Don't count on it. Sooner one gets bankrupt developing depression which in turn will need to be cured with more alcohol.
I will show Lynx my Citibank statement for the past 3 weeks as proof of this.