Singapore Expats

Applying PR for foreigner wife

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
livelysoul

Applying PR for foreigner wife

Post by livelysoul » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:58 pm

Hello,

I have some questions that I hope the veterans here can help me with. Some background information:

I am a Singaporean who married a foreign wife last year. Prior to marriage, she has been to Singapore once for holiday (somehow I believe things like this matter after reading the various posts here). I successfully applied a LTVP (1 year) for her after marriage, and soon after, she found a job and the LTVP was converted into a WP. She then started working and we continued living together like most married couples would. After a couple of months, I decided to apply for PR (although the odds are low). I was shocked that the appointment date is 6 months away! Anyhow, I did booked an appointment and it will be happening this year in April.

Question: I recalled that prior to booking the appointment, there was a question asking if the applicant is pregnant. At that point of time, she was not, therefore I answered that question accordingly. However, I just found out that she is pregnant a few days ago. I did see if there was any online e-service to "alter" my responses but there was only a "reschedule appointment" option. Is this going to affect my application? (if they take it as a "false declaration" etc etc)

I know the odds of getting PR for my wife in the first attempt is slim. I am trying to settle down, but her without the PR status is standing in the way of a BTO flat as resale is just too expensive. Now with a kid (SG50 yay) coming this year, I am considering the various options I have.

More background information that might help:
- I am in my mid-20s with a degree and a job that pays $3.6+k/month,
- My wife is in her mid-20s too, double degree holder (can't guarantee that it is recognised by our government) with a hospitality industry job that pays $1.6+k/month (not much but it helps pay the bills)
- I only paid income tax once so far.
- She got the LTVP when I was her sponsor earning $2.9+k/month before I changed my job.
- I served NS. (If it even matters :P )

I am more than willing to provide more information if necessary and I thank anyone who can advise / give suggestions on my current situation.

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Re: Applying PR for foreigner wife

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:25 am

Your Wife's nationality play a part as well. What is her Nationality.
Marriage registered in Singapore?

Share with you my experience.

I'm Malaysian PR since 2012, sponsored wife PR application during her pregnancy in 2012, rejected after 3 months wait.

waited for another 6 months, applied together with baby in 2013, approved after 4 months wait.

Any ladies got her PR during pregnancy? (im just curious)

livelysoul

Post by livelysoul » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:29 am

Hello, thank you for your reply. Yes the marriage was registered in Singapore. I am Singaporean Chinese and my wife is Vietnamese.

Sp1d3rMan
Regular
Regular

Post by Sp1d3rMan » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 11:39 am

Bro, you may browse thru all the post in this forum and you will know what are the chances of getting Vietnamese wife to PR.. moreover you guys just married less than 1 year.

for me, if you apply, you got 50% chances, if not apply chances is 0%

Never the less, Good luck for the application.

livelysoul

Post by livelysoul » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have read quite a bit of the threads here and I know that the Vietnamese people are somewhat "less preferred". Nonetheless, I have no other options but to apply till it gets approved. Or perhaps move elsewhere to live.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 1:24 pm

livelysoul wrote:Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have read quite a bit of the threads here and I know that the Vietnamese people are somewhat "less preferred". Nonetheless, I have no other options but to apply till it gets approved. Or perhaps move elsewhere to live.
Honestly everything in your profile looks good, except the Vietnamese part. I wouldn't call it a negative though, just neutral (Malaysian Chinese always have the best chance, but otherwise I don't think they'll say no because of it). That she has degrees and was approved for a WP here already makes it good.

That all said, I still think it is 50/50 just due to the short amount of time for your marriage. If you did it after a year I think you'd be fine.

As for the baby, call ICA and ask if you need to re-submit. I would assume if you just tell them at the interview it would be OK. They don't make the decision before then anyway. But definitely call.

livelysoul

Post by livelysoul » Tue, 06 Jan 2015 1:58 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
livelysoul wrote:Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have read quite a bit of the threads here and I know that the Vietnamese people are somewhat "less preferred". Nonetheless, I have no other options but to apply till it gets approved. Or perhaps move elsewhere to live.
Honestly everything in your profile looks good, except the Vietnamese part. I wouldn't call it a negative though, just neutral (Malaysian Chinese always have the best chance, but otherwise I don't think they'll say no because of it). That she has degrees and was approved for a WP here already makes it good.

That all said, I still think it is 50/50 just due to the short amount of time for your marriage. If you did it after a year I think you'd be fine.

As for the baby, call ICA and ask if you need to re-submit. I would assume if you just tell them at the interview it would be OK. They don't make the decision before then anyway. But definitely call.
Thank you for your reply. I will give ICA a call and update here. Do you think it is a good idea to reschedule the appointment a few months later to make the marriage period 1 year after giving them a buzz?

Thanks much, appreciate the replies.

livelysoul

Post by livelysoul » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 10:39 am

zzm9980 wrote:

I have checked with ICA and it is not necessary to resubmit the appointment date just to update additional information. You were right about just updating them during the apointment itself. I'll update if there are any new changes.

Cheers.

j3khoo

Post by j3khoo » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 4:44 pm

Hi,
Dont be discouraged. I think it's not really that bad. As long as you're both genuinely married, she will eventually get PR. Now that she's pregnant, her chance is even higher. Since your marriage is quite short, they might wait till your baby is delivered. I'm speaking from my own experience and my friend's as well. below is my profile for your ref.
Me: Vietnamese female/28
Education: Degree from private school in Singapore
Length of stay: 7 years
Hubby: Chinese Singapore/28
Education: NUS degree
Combined Income at the time of application: 100k
Length of marriage at the time of appliction: 2 yrs

applied once be4, just after marriage got rejected. So waited awhile longer be4 applying the 2nd time. this time round i found out that i got pregnant just after i submitted the pr application. Didnt update ICA till i was nearly 4 month pregnant. at that point of time, we decided to get resales flat and managed to get a loan from HDB. If you're aware of HDB loan policies, without PR status ur wife cant be one of the main applicants. she only can be essential occupier hence her income wont b counted in when it comes to securing loan from HDB. But good thing is that you can appeal. after appealing, we managed to get the loan from HDB. Immediately after i received our HLE, my PR was approved. the approval came way be4 my baby was born. Didnt take up HDB loan in d end, cos we decided to go for EC since we're eligible.

I have a friend who got her PR two years ago after she delivered her baby. I believe her profile is not as good as mine. this is just to share with u my own experience so that u wont b discouraged!

livelysoul

Post by livelysoul » Wed, 07 Jan 2015 5:33 pm

Hello, thank you for sharing your experience and encouragement. I shall proceed with the application(s) till it gets approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed00

Post by Ed00 » Sat, 24 Jan 2015 10:48 am

Hi j3khoo

Wonder if u can advise:

Details:
Wife: vietnam
Children: I daughter 6 mths
Married since jan 2013
Recently started work: 3mths before was unemployed
Pay:7000 per mth
Am a Singaporean

Tried recently to update my wife's Ltvp after was given 1 yr last approved. Think this time would at least get Ltvp+ but sadly got Ltvp again and for a year.
Disappointed by it as thinking Ltvp+ would help if we try for another baby .
And the stress of going to ICA always to get approval

Was thinking of applying for Pr after the last application thinking would get Ltvp + and get 3 yrs.. Now disappointed and wonder Shld I apply for PR or wait till next year after the next application for Ltvp ?