Singapore Expats

Shop theft in Singapore

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Tiffanylol

Shop theft in Singapore

Post by Tiffanylol » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 7:00 pm

Hi. I stole a dress from forever 21 that cost $35. I went John little n stole cosmetic of 3 items less than $100. I was caught in John little. I didn't declare at first that I stole from f21. Police found out aft they saw the price tag. I'm 21 n my first Time n truly regretted. My family have financial difficulties n single parent who is 60+ years old. They give me theft in dwelling n have to report back in 2 weeks. What will happen? Will I go court and jail?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Shop theft in Singapore

Post by taxico » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:33 pm

nobody knows. i hope you included mitigating circumstances in your statement...

it's probably up to the authorities to decide whether to issue you a warning or proceed with a charge.

i hope you're religious. if you're not, then you will be soon. good luck, and don't do it again. if you don't get charged this time, the next time will probably see you behind the docks.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Tiffanylol

Post by Tiffanylol » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:55 pm

Thank you. definitely no next time. but is it up to the shop or IO to press charge against me?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:06 pm

Tiffanylol wrote:Hi. I stole a dress from forever 21 that cost $35. I went John little n stole cosmetic of 3 items less than $100. I was caught in John little. I didn't declare at first that I stole from f21. Police found out aft they saw the price tag. I'm 21 n my first Time n truly regretted. My family have financial difficulties n single parent who is 60+ years old. They give me theft in dwelling n have to report back in 2 weeks. What will happen? Will I go court and jail?
Financial difficulties and cosmetics for $100 somehow does not match. It wasn't soap, was it.

Tiffanylol

Post by Tiffanylol » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:23 pm

Well. It's a moment of temptation + foolishness. I'm saving up for a program that's going to happen soon. N my mum income is not stable n she's old alr. I truly regretted. It's like if I can save this few dollars I will. But now I regret.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 7:46 am

Singapore tends to press for "deterrent" sentences to prevent it from happening again. Good Luck and change your habits.

Oh, one other thing. Learn to live within your means. Seriously. It will save you lots of grief later.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 8:37 am

Tiffanylol wrote:Hi. I stole a dress from forever 21 that cost $35. I went John little n stole cosmetic of 3 items less than $100. I was caught in John little. I didn't declare at first that I stole from f21. Police found out aft they saw the price tag. I'm 21 n my first Time n truly regretted. My family have financial difficulties n single parent who is 60+ years old. They give me theft in dwelling n have to report back in 2 weeks. What will happen? Will I go court and jail?
The AGC (Attorney General) will most likely act on what the IO (Investigating Officer) report shows. If the IO indicates some remorse and indication that you're not likely to reoffend perhaps the AGC will not prosecute or at least not seek a deterrent prison sentence.

I would get a lawyer myself.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 11:08 am

Tiffanylol wrote:Well. It's a moment of temptation + foolishness. I'm saving up for a program that's going to happen soon. N my mum income is not stable n she's old alr. I truly regretted. It's like if I can save this few dollars I will. But now I regret.
This (in bold) may well be but I would suggest not to make up any lame stories explaining that what you did was because of the financial situation. It may easily turn against you. You didn't steal a bag of rice for your starvation dying familly or to buy some medicines for a sick mother.

FreeSpiritRunner

Post by FreeSpiritRunner » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 2:31 pm

Careful now OP. Singapore authorities do not take theft lightly. They recently handcuffed three young boys for shoplifting

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 5:44 pm

FreeSpiritRunner wrote:Careful now OP. Singapore authorities do not take theft lightly. They recently handcuffed three young boys for shoplifting.

http://www.forum.singaporeexpats.com
Quit trolling with your stupid link. If you read the full story anywhere else, you'd know the boys already tried to flee into the road. If they'd been hit by a car you'd be blasting the police for putting them in harms way.

And this one incident of getting handcuffed may scare some sense into them to stop them from doing something worse later on.