Singapore Expats

Citizenship formalities timeframe

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Citizenship formalities timeframe

Post by Addadude » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 9:02 am

curiousgeorge wrote:However, I was surprised when the ICA gave me a pamphlet called "How to stop at the top of the escalator, stand still in the middle of a busy sidewalk and other blur behaviours".
So there is an instruction manual! I bloody knew it!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Dec 2014 10:43 am

:lol: :lol: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sgguy2014

Post by sgguy2014 » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 8:20 pm

"He can't renounce his UKC between applying and waiting to an appointment... that time (particularly between applying and in approval) is highly variable as well. Once he has an appointment to take the oath of SC he can apply for a passport straight away... and that will take only days. If he hands in his UK passport - renounces UKC the day before going in to take the oath he should only be tied up a week."

Sorry I need to seek a bit of clarification. After he completing an online e-journey, a Singapore Experience Tour and a Community Sharing Session, he needs to notify ICA and wait for the approval letter? For US citizens, the renunciation of citizenship can take months due to 2 interview requirement (a few weeks wait for 1st interview, a few weeks wait again for the 2nd interview). Do these need to be completed before the oath taking? What if the 2nd interview appointment is after the assigned oath taking appointment by ICA?

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 10:33 pm

sgguy2014 wrote:
Sorry I need to seek a bit of clarification. After he completing an online e-journey, a Singapore Experience Tour and a Community Sharing Session, he needs to notify ICA and wait for the approval letter? For US citizens, the renunciation of citizenship can take months due to 2 interview requirement (a few weeks wait for 1st interview, a few weeks wait again for the 2nd interview). Do these need to be completed before the oath taking? What if the 2nd interview appointment is after the assigned oath taking appointment by ICA?
After the SH Journey and SET, you don't need to do anything. They know you've completed (you can even see that in your online SG Journey page).

Within 2-4 weeks they will send you an Approval letter with an appointment date to complete the formalities: forms, photos, Oath taking. You are required to provide your proof of Renunciation at this appointment, so if you don't have that yet *you can't go to the appointment*.

Instead, log in to e-appointments on ICA website, then change your appointment time to something a couple of months in the future.

When you have completed your renunciation and have the documents to prove it, then you can go back in and re-schedule again to a closer date. Don't worry, this type of appointment is available most days, so its not like you have to wait six months for an appointment.

If you're changing appointment dates, make sure to do it at least three days in advance, or you can't change it and you are declared to have defaulted on the appointment. I don't know what the consequences of that are.