Singapore Expats

Moving back to UK

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Johnharris94

Moving back to UK

Post by Johnharris94 » Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:27 pm

Hi all need some help with regards to a couple of things, I'm doing my national service and i have just over six months before im finished with it. After I shall be going back to the uk and I'm wondering how can I get my stuff over to the uk for as cheap as possible?

I have a lot of stuff which I've managed to accumulate in my time here which I'd like to bring back. Probably 2 almost 3 suitcases worth of clothes and such. Anyone have any advice what I should do? Should I buy extra weight limit on the plane? Or should I go by fedex?

Also does anyone know will I have to do a customs declaration?

I'm very stressed about the move back and my parents haven't exsctly been helpful :(

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Moving back to UK

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 28 Dec 2014 7:39 pm

Take whatever you can, with you on the plane. Regarding customs, as long as its things like clothes, you dont need to bother.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 28 Dec 2014 7:53 pm

Options are :
buy extra luggage allowance
Unaccompanied baggage services
Box shipping service (e.g, as even seas; use the search function to find the already existing threads)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 28 Dec 2014 8:52 pm

My suggestion is look at your wardrobe item by item. Do you still wear item X? Will you still want to back home? If not ditch it. It's way too easy to simply pack everything and then when it arrives at destination bin half of it as unwanted.

Check the Singpost prices too.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Johnharris94

Post by Johnharris94 » Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:01 pm

I do need the stuff. I've actuslly separated sll the shitty clothes from the clothes I want to wear already and my suitcase is packed to the brim.

Is extra luggage very expensive or?

hotandhumid

Post by hotandhumid » Mon, 29 Dec 2014 2:24 pm

Perhaps you could consider sending your effects through SingPost.
I did that when I moved to Europe some years back, and paid roughly $180 for 2/3 cubic metre to ship my clothes, computer, miscellaneous etc which arrived about 2 weeks later.

Alternatively, you could pay for extra baggage with the airline (and best to order it beforehand rather than at check-in). I paid €180 for extra 10kg (with Singapore Airlines) when moving back to Asia.
Lets air-condition the entire island please

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Fri, 09 Jan 2015 11:03 pm

Be carful shipping surface mail boxes. I shipped 2 30kg boxes back to the UK last year and UK customs opened them and charged me duty on the contents... even on PlayStation games that I had bought in the UK a few years before! The postman wouldnt deliver the boxes without paying the duty first. It was a joke but I couldnt be bothered arguing so I just paid it.