Singapore Expats

I Hate Paying Agent FEE !!!!

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:00 pm

If it's got 14' ceilings and ceiling fans I'm all for it! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Search By

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:02 pm

:lol:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:08 pm

See! :cool: :P :wink:

Maybe they'll open an SMS Theme Park? You know, you get 3-1 if you visit the Botanic Gardens and ride on the Singapore Duck.

Genuine old-time expat experience. Curmudgeonly in a cranky but cosy kind of way. Observe the etiquette of the pith helmet and use of machete against home-invading snakes. Learn basic preparation of scorpions and other deadly creatures. Not to be missed original slice of the heritage.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 2:26 pm

JR8 wrote:See! :cool: :P :wink:

Maybe they'll open an SMS Theme Park?
Boy! Wouldn't the locals be surprised! Once they got in, they'd find out I had jammers and they couldn't sms, or upload to instagram or log into FB. AND there would be a time lock so they couldn't get out for say 4 or 12 hours. :devil:
Good old tyme experience!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mward4000

Agent Fee

Post by mward4000 » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 4:40 pm

Flying to Singapore today, start new job Monday. Viewing apartments with an agent Sunday afternoon. I've been doing a lot of research and this is how I understand the rental market: if using an agent I can expect to pay equivalent of 1 month rent as a fee to agent {edited by moderator}. It also appears an agent cannot represent a tenant and a landlord, how can I check this without offending the agent?

I was put in contact with an agent by the company I will be working for, apparently she used to be an employee. {edited by moderator} Agent has stated she only accepts client who exclusively use her, is this because agent won't get her fee until a lease has been signed and she wont want to waste time driving me around Singapore for me to sign a lease through another agent? Can agents vary their commission or do they have to follow guidelines on above website? Do Landlords generally ask for 1 month rent as a deposit?

Used . website to look for condos but a lot of ads appear to be fake ie no internal photos. What can I expect to pay monthly for a reasonably new and well equipped condo with 2 bedrooms (NOT room rental only) away from central areas as I don't mind a 30 minute commute to my office near Tai Seng?[/quote]

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 5:51 pm

- Agent fees are freely negotiable and you should agree on a fee structure (preferably in writing) before the agent starts working for you. That said, a month rent (for a two-year rental contract) seems common.
- Since representing both tenant and landlord is illegal for an agent, it is a legitimate topic to ask her about. If she is offended by it, she's probably up to no good!
- Exclusivity is VERY uncommon for agents in Singapore. It will make her less motivated to find a good deal quickly for you. I wouldn't do it (especially as there are hundreds of other agents available with a less demanding attitude).
- Agents do not generally provide a good service here. As you have noticed, taking pictures or verifying the state of an apartment (or even answering questions) is not common.
- A two bedroom condo will cost you S$3000-5000/month rent, more if it's very central or has luxury fittings.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 6:45 pm

beppi wrote: - Since representing both tenant and landlord is illegal for an agent, it is a legitimate topic to ask her about. If she is offended by it, she's probably up to no good!

Are you sure this is true?

- Exclusivity is VERY uncommon for agents in Singapore. It will make her less motivated to find a good deal quickly for you. I wouldn't do it (especially as there are hundreds of other agents available with a less demanding attitude).

Dunno, they all want you to be exclusive. Of course I do as I please.

- Agents do not generally provide a good service here.
Yes most suck

mward4000

Post by mward4000 » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 7:53 pm

I'll see what happens on Sunday.

Anyone know a 'good' agent?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 8:28 pm

Brah wrote:
beppi wrote: - Since representing both tenant and landlord is illegal for an agent, it is a legitimate topic to ask her about. If she is offended by it, she's probably up to no good!

Are you sure this is true?
Yes!
Check the Estate Agents Act (law) - it is written there very clearly.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 6:54 am

There is probably rather big grey area for this double representation. For example, my agent, who I consider good (as per local market) typically is paid by the LL and not me.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 8:57 am

x9200 wrote:There is probably rather big grey area for this double representation. For example, my agent, who I consider good (as per local market) typically is paid by the LL and not me.
Same here, on all points, and why I questioned that.

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Re: I Hate Paying Agent FEE !!!!

Post by Miss Swan » Mon, 29 Dec 2014 7:43 am

Where would be a few good places to start looking if we want to deal with landlords directly or not have to pay agent fees? Each time I do a search in Google, I'm led to property listing websites which are dominated by agents.

x9200

Re: I Hate Paying Agent FEE !!!!

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Dec 2014 7:53 am

Miss Swan wrote:Where would be a few good places to start looking if we want to deal with landlords directly or not have to pay agent fees? Each time I do a search in Google, I'm led to property listing websites which are dominated by agents.
1) If you contact the agent advertising a property you don't need to pay any fee as this is not your agent but the LL's agent. Still better make it very clear to the agent you contacted (that you do not engage her/him)
2) Direct LLs listings: Advertisement boards not related to the property agencies like this very one. This may include classifieds sections of major newspapers, popular on-line classifieds sites (craigslist, locanto, gumtree etc.)