Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 5:56 pm

brightandbeautiful wrote:Hi PNGMK,

Ok now what do I do? Also if I do apply for exit permit for 1 year and 364 days, what happens after that? Do I keep applying for exit permit till 21?

Thank you so much for replying. It really means alot.
Correct, also make sure you do not forget to do it timely. In fact, I wouldn't wait to the last minute in order to ensure that it is done on time. Don't give them a reason to impose the "Bond" (If you ask for 2 years this will happen as well). Not having a valid exit permit will throw a spanner in the works.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brightandbeautiful

Post by brightandbeautiful » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 6:27 pm

Hi SMS,
Thanks for the reply. so that means I send the letter for deferment with the necessary docs, then do I wait for CMPB to send me the application form for deferment before I applying for exit permit. I am asking this because I cannot apply for exit permit online as my son does not have an NRIC.

Thanks for taking the effort and time to answer my quries.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 9:13 pm

brightandbeautiful wrote:Hi SMS,
Thanks for the reply. so that means I send the letter for deferment with the necessary docs, then do I wait for CMPB to send me the application form for deferment before I applying for exit permit. I am asking this because I cannot apply for exit permit online as my son does not have an NRIC.

Oh this is interesting... my son has a letter about this as he just turned 13 - he doesn't have an NRIC either - I'll check what his letter says.. (I suspect I'll have to use his Birth Cert no).

Edit... there must be another way of applying for exit permit? Phone? Mail? What form are you waiting for an how did you request it?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Dec 2014 9:31 pm

PNGMK wrote:
brightandbeautiful wrote:Hi SMS,

Oh this is interesting... my son has a letter about this as he just turned 13 - he doesn't have an NRIC either - I'll check what his letter says.. (I suspect I'll have to use his Birth Cert no).

Edit... there must be another way of applying for exit permit? Phone? Mail? What form are you waiting for an how did you request it?
As I've not personally had to apply for an exit permit/deferment as my son did his NS, If the ability to apply for the exit permit online is there, as he has a Birth Certificate, the Birth Certificate number in the upper right corner starting probably with the letter "T" will be his NRIC number as well, except it will be an S in the case of an NRIC. Try filing first with the number and using the T prefix and be sure to include the letter suffix as well as that will indicate the month of birth. If it doesn't work than try the number but change the "T" to an "S". I don't know when the "T" officially changes to "S". As you immigrated in 2005 then your son should have had a Singapore Passport back then. His IC number would be the same as his passport number.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 1:09 pm

T began in 2000 ("Third Millenium" following the "Second Millenium" - I guess if Singapore had been around in year 0 NRIC's would have started with F or maybe they'll use 'F' for the 'Fourth' millenium). I've found this somewhere before officially....[I know you'll disagree with me but I expect my son's NRIC (born in 2001) to begin with a T as well]. 'S' does not actually stand for Singapore -it's always been part of a date or series code - why would PR's have NRIC's that starts with 'S'?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 2:00 pm

PNGMK wrote:T began in 2000 ("Third Millenium" following the "Second Millenium" - I guess if Singapore had been around in year 0 NRIC's would have started with F or maybe they'll use 'F' for the 'Fourth' millenium). I've found this somewhere before officially....[I know you'll disagree with me but I expect my son's NRIC (born in 2001) to begin with a T as well]. 'S' does not actually stand for Singapore -it's always been part of a date or series code - why would PR's have NRIC's that starts with 'S'?
F & G has always been reserved for FIN numbers (EP/S/WP). Why do Singapore vehicle Registration Plates start with "S" today, my old Cortina's had EA and ED plates but my old 66 Mini-Cooper has ST plates (only two letters). The series after the E series are the current S series with three letters.

For the record, births today are still using the T prefix on the Birth Certs. But my children born in '84 & '89 have S on their BC's and it's their actual NRIC number as well. Back then the Passport Numbers were different but also reflected the NRIC number as well. Today the Citizen Passports use the NRIC as the Passport number. Why the letter S? Good question. To me it makes sense as it means, to me anyway, the NRIC belongs to a "Resident" of "Singapore", versus a FIN number which in only for work passes.

I'm not disagreeing, but then I find it funny that ALL NRIC's regardless of their year of issue, start with an S even after the millenium. So how?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 9:27 pm

Good questions SMS - I guess we'll see in about 2015 (when the first 15 year old Singaporeans start to get their IC's). Maybe the S number series was running low on space?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Dec 2014 10:55 pm

That would mean there have been a total of 119+ million Citizens & PR here in the last 50 years. I'd say that would be a stretch. Assuming, just for grins, there were 1M citizens here in 1965 and there were an average of 35,000 births per year and 35,000 new PRs per year for the past 50 years that would be 75,000 x 50 years or 3.75M + 1M originally here so that would be under 5 million here (current population is what? 3.5M citizens & PRs? the 7 digit NRIC plus the A-L suffixs would make 119M unique NRIC numbers available. I reckon you & I will have to stick around till 2015 to see, yeah? ;-)

I grant you, though, with the numbering system having meaning, there would be considerable numbers available once they run through the numbering sequence that are used for the markers to pigeon-hole each person based on race, religion, DoB, Year of citizenship or year of PR. and who knows what else is in that number.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 4:59 pm

I think you called it with the 'pigeon hole' theory.... some hole ran out... maybe PRC born new citizen hole?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Dec 2014 5:20 pm

:lol: :oops!: :shit:

maxumfx

Post by maxumfx » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 8:18 pm

Hi,

We've just obtained our Australian PR and are thinking of migrating for good.

However, we have a 10 year old son, and being a Singapore citizen, he has the liability to do NS.

I've checked the mindef website, but I could not find a provision that addresses the issue of migration and NS liabilities.

It is not clear to me if my son leaves Singapore before the age of 13, what is the procedure that we must follow if he choose to stay overseas during this period and subsequently gives up his Singapore citizenship by the age of 21.

We may also want him to finish his PSLE first - which by then, he will be 12 years old, before he leaves for Australia.

What should we do if he decided not to come back and do NS? Will he be still allowed to come back to Singapore for a visit between 13 and 21 years old? Will he be allowed to denounce his Singapore citizenship by the age of 21 if he choose to remain in Australia and not come back to Singapore to do NS?

Lastly, are there lawyers that are expert in such cases that we can speak to?

Thank you and appreciate your advice.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 11:20 pm

maxumfx,

Start with this thread in the Strictly Speaking Subforum:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=61423

Once you have managed to get all the way through it, digested it and also had a look-see at the various other threads in that sub-forum regarding NS, if we haven't answered your questions, give us a shout back with specifics and we'll try to address them. Yes, there are lawyers but really, it's not needed. All that is needed is the knowledge of the timing for each step of the way and what you, as parents, will be expected to give up as well.

sms

maxumfx

Post by maxumfx » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 5:54 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:maxumfx,

Once you have managed to get all the way through it, digested it and also had a look-see at the various other threads in that sub-forum regarding NS, if we haven't answered your questions, give us a shout back with specifics and we'll try to address them. Yes, there are lawyers but really, it's not needed. All that is needed is the knowledge of the timing for each step of the way and what you, as parents, will be expected to give up as well.

sms
Thank you for your reply SMS. I will check out the thread.

maxumfx

Post by maxumfx » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 12:54 pm

maxumfx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:maxumfx,

sms
Thank you for your reply SMS. I will check out the thread.
So.. in reading from this thread and the other related one, this is what I gather in summary:

1) Our whole family should get out of Singapore before my son turns 11 (or 13?)
2) Before my son turns 11 (or 13?), I should write a "Letter on Intention" to both the ICA and MINDEF, basically to inform them of our intention to migrate out of Singapore for good, and my son's intention to renounce his Singapore citizenship by the age of 21. Include a photocopy of my son's B.C., proof of foreign school enrolment\attendance, proof of departure date from Singapore, and send it to the ICA and CMPB at the following address:

ICA Renunciation Unit
10 Kallang Road, #06-00
Singapore 208718
Tel# +65-6391-6316

Central Manpower Base
3 Depot Road, #02-07
Singapore 109680
Tel# +65-6373-3132

3) We should also document the departure date and new foreign address and inform ICA of the change of address here: http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=142
4) Between now to the renouncement of his Singapore citizenship, DO NOT accept a pink IC or renew his Singapore passport. His Singapore passport has about 5 years to expiry, so, we should try to get his Australian passport within this period and thereafter stop using his Singapore passport for travel.
5) If my son needs to go back to Singapore, from age 13 to 18, apply for the necessary exit permits.
6) At the age of 18, he should apply for deferment from the CMPB. However, in order to prove our intention to migrate out of Singapore for good, we as parents should also renounce our Singapore citizenship BEFORE my son reach 18 years old.
7) Then at the age of 21, he can renounce his Singapore citizenship.

This is our 7-step plan, but I'm not 100% sure if I get the whole picture here. And so if there is anything that is lacking in the above plan, I would appreciate if someone can point that out.

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Sep 2015 1:56 pm

6) should be:
On or before the 13th birthday send a registered letter, with postcard return receipt for yourself, to ICA and MinDef/CMPB declaring intention to renounce child's citizenship at age 21. Include a photocopy of your child’s birth certificate, citizenship certificate (if applicable), proof of foreign school enrollment / attendance, proof of departure date from Singapore. The addresses for this notification are as follows:

Central Manpower Base
3 Depot Road, #02-07
Singapore 109680
Tel# +65-6373-3132

ICA Renunciation Unit
10 Kallang Road, #06-00
Singapore 208718
Tel# +65-6391-6316
But as this information, you might want to reconfirm the addresses via the telephone contacts listed for safety's sake. If you find the addresses need to be updated, please let us know and we will correct the entry to reflect the updated information. It's you, our readers, who have provided all this information and collation into an almost one-stop shop.

Good Luck to you and your family.

sms