Singapore Expats

LTVP for parent of potential PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
confusedperson

LTVP for parent of potential PR

Post by confusedperson » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:29 pm

hi,
I need some advise please!

I moved to Singapore 2.5 years ago on EP2, and brought my dependent mum with me (she is physically/mentally disabled and requires daily care). About 6 months ago, I applied for PR, and I was happy(shocked) to see i got it! Was expecting it to get rejected as that seemed the norm.

Unfortunately, I only came across some threads of this forum which mention LTVP being rejected for parents of newly converted PRs, after I applied. So my question is, is it better not to take the PR? Ie how likely is her new LTVP to get rejected by ICA? I would like to take care of my mum as long as she lives, and make sure she gets good healthcare (that's my highest priority).

additional info: dad is no longer with us. I have a fdw who takes care of mum. only one brother who lives in uk. the PR application form did not have any where i could add mum as my dependent.

Should i engage a lawyer for this?

all advise is greatly appreciated. thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LTVP for parent of potential PR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:47 pm

confusedperson wrote:hi,
I need some advise please!

I moved to Singapore 2.5 years ago on EP2, and brought my dependent mum with me (she is physically/mentally disabled and requires daily care). About 6 months ago, I applied for PR, and I was happy(shocked) to see i got it! Was expecting it to get rejected as that seemed the norm.

Unfortunately, I only came across some threads of this forum which mention LTVP being rejected for parents of newly converted PRs, after I applied. So my question is, is it better not to take the PR? Ie how likely is her new LTVP to get rejected by ICA? I would like to take care of my mum as long as she lives, and make sure she gets good healthcare (that's my highest priority).

additional info: dad is no longer with us. I have a fdw who takes care of mum. only one brother who lives in uk. the PR application form did not have any where i could add mum as my dependent.

Should i engage a lawyer for this?

all advise is greatly appreciated. thank you.
A lawyer is not going to help you at all, as MOM/ICA do not like lawyers. Regarding ICA (in the case of PRs)
Visitor whose Child (above 21 years old) is a Singapore Citizen (SC) or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR)
A visitor whose child (above 21 years old) is a Singapore Citizen (SC) or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) may apply for a Visit Pass (for long term stay) online via e-VP.
So, yes, you apply for an LTVP for your parent(s).

However if you do not gain PR, you will not be able to change jobs unless your next position is above the old threshold for P1 EP. (the new EP is just an EP with different $$ levels determining what you can and cannot do. Unless your EP basic wage is over 8K/mo, you will NOT be allowed to bring in your parents. Therefore you are currently between a rock and a hard place if you were thinking about quitting your job when you obtain PR. If your job is on shaky ground, and you have to switch jobs, if the basic salary is lover than 8K you mother will have to return home, and as you have indicated, there there is now where else for her, you will probably have to return home as well.

Under the new rules, as long as you are on your current Employment Pass (and renewals of same) your parent would fall under the old rules, However, if you have to cancel and reapply for a new EP with a new employer, then you will be required to meet the current criteria. PRs cannot get Dependent Passes. Only LTVPs. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

confusedperson

Post by confusedperson » Mon, 15 Dec 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks Sundaymorningstaple.

i am really happy at my job, and the company is doing well, so not too worried about that.
but i am a little under the 8k requirement of a new EP.

Will they refuse my mum's LTVP since i am below the 8k?
If i dont accept the PR this time round, can i apply again in future (after salary increase)?
Can i ask for extension for PR in principle approval?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 6:55 am

confusedperson wrote:Thanks Sundaymorningstaple.

i am really happy at my job, and the company is doing well, so not too worried about that.
but i am a little under the 8k requirement of a new EP.

Will they refuse my mum's LTVP since i am below the 8k?
If i dont accept the PR this time round, can i apply again in future (after salary increase)?
Can i ask for extension for PR in principle approval?
You should be okay on renewals. From what I understand it only if you have to apply for a new EP that you will fall under the new criteria. As long as you are still with the same company and just getting renewals you should be okay. (Of course, the goal posts are always subject to change as we've all been finding out the past 10 years) So, with the fact of movable goal posts, it would also be a good idea to think about a plan B should it come to that.

If you reject your PR (if approved) you odds of getting it later are greatly reduced.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 4:41 pm

Tricky situation. Reading your post, I get this feeling, you were allowed to bring your mom on LTVSP under liberal rules in the past. If you were to apply now, afresh, probably you wont be allowed to because of your salary levels. So it does sound like high risk to convert to PR. But then Its so ironic, the fact that you got PR, under current circumstances, means they like your profile.

See if you can meet someone at ICA and ask them. If someone can guarantee you that LTSVP for your mom wont be problem, take up the PR. Or else, if you dont want to risk it, live on the EP and enjoy your stay here as long as it lasts

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 6:00 pm

Wd40 wrote:If someone can guarantee you that LTSVP for your mom wont be problem, take up the PR.
since when any Govt agency "Guaranteed" anything ?? :)

they will say "it will be reviewed subject to it's own merits and .. "MAY" be given !!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 8:12 pm

^^ This.
:-k :-|

confusedperson

Post by confusedperson » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 9:47 pm

Going to ICA tomorrow, see if I can get some answers.

Any advise on how to approach the topic? Should I avoid saying that I wouldn't accept the PR if my mum doesn't get LTVP?

confusedperson

Post by confusedperson » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 8:30 am

Also, when they were going over my PR application, the ICA would have seen that I have my mom on LTVP living here with me since I moved here, right?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Dec 2014 12:34 pm

Sure they did. But why should it matter to an organization that will often only give the foreign spouse of a Singapore Citizen an LTVP and not PR. Or give the child of PR's only an LTVP and not PR? Good Luck.