Singapore Expats

Internet Installation @ Apartment

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
BOTJ

Internet Installation @ Apartment

Post by BOTJ » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 1:08 pm

Do ViewQwest connect the Asus RT-AC87U directly to my FTP or do they also use an ONT?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Internet Installation @ Apartment

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 7:54 pm

They connect the fiber termination point to a router they provide.
From that router you can connect your own privately purchased router. That's at least how it worked out for me.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:21 pm

BOTJ wrote:Do ViewQwest connect the Asus RT-AC87U directly to my FTP or do they also use an ONT?
They use an ONT. I think Raj is referring to his ONT as the "router they provide".

Your FTP is technically the OpenNet box in your home. Does your Asus router have a fiber port on it? If not, you must have the ONT. If your router has a fiber port, they may be willing to configure it so you can bypass the ONT. (Too lazy to Google your router model and see #sorrynotsorry)

Also, MyRepublic has a good page on this. Both companies are essentially selling the same fiber service with just their value adds on top:
https://support.myrepublic.com.sg/hc/en ... oes-it-do-

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:45 pm

Hello, they provide a free modem/router however I am upgrading and purchasing the Asus RT-AC87U. Nothing has been installed yet. However having recently visited my new apartment I have now noticed that the FTP is in a utility cupboard and all the rooms have ethernet sockets that run from the utility cupboard. I would prefer not to have to place the Asus RT-AC87U in a utility cupboard however if it also acts as a modem (ONT?) + router I guess it will have to go in there? Yes the MR diagram is good; VQ should offer a similar one
Last edited by BOTJ on Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:46 pm

His Asus router does not have the fiber interface. Just gigabit Ethernet.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 9:50 pm

BOTJ wrote:Hello, they provide a free modem/router however I am upgrading and purchasing the Asus RT-AC87U. Nothing has been installed yet. However having recently visited my new apartment I have now noticed that the FTP is in a utility cupboard and all the rooms have ethernet sockets that run from the utility cupboard. I would prefer not to have to place the Asus RT-AC87U in a utility cupboard however if it also acts as a modem (ONT?) + router I guess it will have to go in there? Yes the MR diagram is good; VQ should offer a similar one

I'd suggest buying a hub or something similar and putting that in the closet and then connect that to your router, that way your hub can provide wired internet to your rooms, while the router will give you the wifi portion.

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:16 pm

So what would act as the ONT?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 10:25 am

BOTJ wrote:So what would act as the ONT?
Can't you just plug the ONT in in the closet?

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 2:11 pm

I dont know what the ONT is. Is it the Asus? Is it something else VQ supply? Should there already be an ONT in my utility cupboard?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 4:57 pm

I will attempt to explain in simple terms.

1.FTP or TP - Fiber Termination Point or Termination Point - it is a perquisite for Internet access over Fiber. This is installed by a company called OpenNet. This does not belong to any single service provider.

2. ONT : Optical Network Terminal - The device which is owned by the service provider aka M1,Singtel,Starhub,myRepublic etc .. , this device connects to the FTP using an Optical Fiber. Purpose is to convert optical into Ethernet and also sometimes provide telephony services

3. OTS Router/Hub/Repeater - Off The Shelf Router owned by Internet subscriber, this device extends the basic services of the ONT into the rest of the house, it is upto the subscriber to design the network according to his wishes

References : https://www.ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/In ... tailed.pdf

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 4:58 pm

BOTJ wrote:I dont know what the ONT is. Is it the Asus? Is it something else VQ supply? Should there already be an ONT in my utility cupboard?
The ONT is essentially a modem for your fiber connection. It will have a fiber input, and (minimally) an ethernet output. The one MyRepublic provides has a number of ethernet ports and can act as a simple router. Most people in your case would have it configured for bridge mode and plug their own router in behind it.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 5:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
BOTJ wrote:So what would act as the ONT?
Can't you just plug the ONT in in the closet?
good idea! most of the ONT's supplied don't provide wifi capability anyway, he can put the ONT in the closet, patch the cables from various rooms into the ONT

Patch the WAN port of the router into a conviniently located ethernet port, plug the ASUS router into it and bobs your uncle!

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 6:57 pm

I appreciate the ongoing replies to my OP. So do VQ supply 2 devices; the ONT as well as the Asus router?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 14 Dec 2014 7:31 pm

BOTJ wrote:I appreciate the ongoing replies to my OP. So do VQ supply 2 devices; the ONT as well as the Asus router?
I'm not sure whats the story with VQ, I had M1, M1 supplied the ONT only when I had initially subscribed for their 40Mbps service and I purchased my own router, but a year later they offered me a free ASUS router when I upgraded to their 200Mbps service.
Normally they tend to hand out any free gift right on the spot when you sign on the contract.

aloha168888

Post by aloha168888 » Sun, 23 Oct 2016 8:54 pm

If you still need help, you can try to call this company. Normally their project is for SME, not sure if they do residential or not.
http://www.theinstallationman.com/fiber ... tallation/