Singapore Expats

Lunchtime Fishball Noodle Stall to close ....

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Lunchtime Fishball Noodle Stall to close ....

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 2:27 pm

Vertex Building Tower B Coffee Shop will have no fishball noodle stall after this week. :( :(

Rather sad , Uncle tell me that he is quitting on Friday , its their last day of business.

Its the best Fishball noodle place within sensible walking distance.

I dont know if its rent up or business down thats caused it.

Sad all the same!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: Lunchtime Fishball Noodle Stall to close ....

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 1:18 am

Oh no, another one bites the dust. I wonder if the hawkers get subsidized rent? They operate on thin margin, rely on business volume and have to endure longs hours on their feet. The lack of work-life balance is a turn off for many of us interested in this line of work. It is difficult to hire extra help due to their low margin business model. They are sacrificing their own quality of life and subsidizing the entire nation with low cost cook-to-order meals. Something that Singaporeans have come to count on for affordable dining options.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:00 am

earthfriendly wrote:Oh no, another one bites the dust. I wonder if the hawkers get subsidized rent? They operate on thin margin, rely on business volume and have to endure longs hours on their feet. The lack of work-life balance is a turn off for many of us interested in this line of work. It is difficult to hire extra help due to their low margin business model. They are sacrificing their own quality of life and subsidizing the entire nation with low cost cook-to-order meals. Something that Singaporeans have come to count on for affordable dining options.
With the amount of new office space opening up around Ubi Ave 3/Ave 2/Paya Lebar Road, there must always be a market.

Its a pity the Auntie/Uncle with the fishball are packing in.

What I have noticed around here though is that there are not so many "western" stalls :D

I think that too says where folk are operating, its in the $2.50 - $5 price range..... and $5 is expensive

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 6:50 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Oh no, another one bites the dust. I wonder if the hawkers get subsidized rent? They operate on thin margin, rely on business volume and have to endure longs hours on their feet. The lack of work-life balance is a turn off for many of us interested in this line of work. It is difficult to hire extra help due to their low margin business model. They are sacrificing their own quality of life and subsidizing the entire nation with low cost cook-to-order meals. Something that Singaporeans have come to count on for affordable dining options.
about half of all hawkers pay subsidized rent to the government. they are usually pretty old (from the original hawker scheme, or the "hardship" scheme which has ended many decades ago) and pay about $160-$320 a month, provided they fulfill certain conditions (no sub-let, personally operated, etc).

unsubsidized hawker stalls rentals are purposely priced lower than that of a food court stall.

there were also a few thousand stalls sold (20-year leasehold) but these are all near the end of their lease term (2017).

with those sums, i think a hawker can earn a decent living, in present day singapore. if they wish to earn more, they just have to work longer hours. those with subsidized rentals can definitely earn more with shorter hours...

don't feel too bad for them!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 9:26 pm

You wouldn't believe how many of them own condos and drive mercs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 8:43 am

Only a minority can afford the mercs, methink. And when they do, it gets sensationalized. I have heard of the hawker who sells fritters (long skinny yutiao) and drives a mercedes. These kind of fritters usually sell for 5 (or 3) for a dollar. It is hard to imagine how many he needs to sell to pay for that car.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:16 am

I will be partaking in my final fishball noodle laden lunch later today :cry: