Singapore Expats

Golf Cart Import

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
ropentie

Golf Cart Import

Post by ropentie » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:30 am

Has anyone imported a gold cart into Singapore? Moving here from U.S. would like to bring a cart but dont know the ramifications

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Golf Cart Import

Post by taxico » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:43 am

there aren't many places in singapore you can use a golf cart...

they already have golf carts for rent at golf courses.

estates that are big enough to require a golf cart would also already have them.

you can't use them on public roads, or as a regular means of conveyance outside private property...

as for importation for sale/distribution... you may want to check the customs website.

AFAIK, they aren't controlled items or anything.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ropentie

Post by ropentie » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:46 am

Am moving to Sentosa, thought it would be nice for wife to cruise down to shopping area or for daughter to go between complexes to visit friends as she makes them.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:03 am

OK so Sentosa Cove is one big private estate and about the only place in Singapore that you can drive a golf cart (buggy). And people use them for exactly that - moving between residences and the local Jason's market.

Vehicle imports into Singapore are a very tricky business which gets a whole lot simpler if a buggy isn't classed as a road-going vehicle - this is almost impossible for combustion-engine vehicles but would be simpler for an electric-buggy EXCEPT that you'd probably be the first person ever doing such a private import which would make for a LOT of scrutiny.

Ordinarily, "pocket" motorcycles attract 12% duty and 7% GST, whereas electric bikes are GST only.

At the minimum you would need a letter from Sentosa Development Coroporation and probably your landlord that they agree to you importing for use on their private land.

However, there are two other reasons it may not be a good idea:

1) Sentosa probably has a deal with a local supplier, offering sales/rentals to residents and that will likely mean they won't grant you permission to import one on your own terms
2) Anyone who has ever tried to receive any kind of maintenance/service here will tell you - its bad enough when you bought from a local supplier. If you bring from overseas, expect NO local support at all, even if its the same brand. If you didn't by FROM THAT SHOP, then they won't go out of their way to help unless you offer a lot of money. Even then they will prioritise their local customers. Grey imports such as these rarely bring advantages.

TL;DR the cost and hassle is far worse than simply buying one here. If you can afford to live in Sentosa then you can afford to do that.

PS: You wife's thighs might benefit from cycling instead of carting :-"

ropentie

Post by ropentie » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:01 pm

Good info, thanks for the tips, will have bikes just thought it would be a nice toy to have around, sounds like not such a good idea.
Regards

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:39 pm

taxico wrote:there aren't many places in singapore you can use a golf cart...

they already have golf carts for rent at golf courses.

estates that are big enough to require a golf cart would also already have them.

you can't use them on public roads, or as a regular means of conveyance outside private property...

as for importation for sale/distribution... you may want to check the customs website.

AFAIK, they aren't controlled items or anything.
One of my work places had golf carts, and funny, they were left handed

I believe the right hand rule doesn't apply for golf carts especially it is private area where its being used ..... unlike right handed bicycles :twisted:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 6:57 am

ecureilx wrote:One of my work places had golf carts, and funny, they were left handed
I've never seen a right hand drive golf cart... not in Singapore, nor Malaysia, nor Indonesia.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 5:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:One of my work places had golf carts, and funny, they were left handed
I've never seen a right hand drive golf cart... not in Singapore, nor Malaysia, nor Indonesia.
Maybe they aren't even near street legal ?? :)

I am not familiar with Golf courses and the carts there though

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 5:27 pm

Surprised Maclaren hasn't made a center wheeled version.

This is what I would love on a course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CoTwIl3APw

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 11 Dec 2014 6:22 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:OK so Sentosa Cove is one big private estate and about the only place in Singapore that you can drive a golf cart (buggy). And people use them for exactly that - moving between residences and the local Jason's market.

Vehicle imports into Singapore are a very tricky business which gets a whole lot simpler if a buggy isn't classed as a road-going vehicle - this is almost impossible for combustion-engine vehicles but would be simpler for an electric-buggy EXCEPT that you'd probably be the first person ever doing such a private import which would make for a LOT of scrutiny.
i know because i wanted to own my own buggy, but i wasn't able to obtain permission to do so because i didn't want to pay for buggy accident insurance (!!!):

there's the fee... which is good for only 1 year. i recall it was 200 or 300 dollars (excluding the $500 deposit). the buggy must be registered to specific drivers (with a valid driver's license no less).

of course your zone manager will want to see proof of regular maintenance and servicing of your buggy... among a whole host of other anal rules and regulations... and penalties (fines or revocation of permit and deposit).

and the buggy needs to have a cashcard reader and pay to be parked at the village car park!!! i'd just drive my car, then.

just use the buggy valet... 96423975 is the number! noon to 10pm i think? or drive your car.

importing your own buggy is possible and likely not difficult, but most people i know just buy a normal "club car" from the local distributor for use on their private property due to ease of service, parts, etc (as george mentioned).

my friend has a golf cart to get about her family's private estate. no rules!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:44 am

taxico wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:OK so Sentosa Cove is one big private estate and about the only place in Singapore that you can drive a golf cart (buggy). And people use them for exactly that - moving between residences and the local Jason's market.
just use the buggy valet... 96423975 is the number! noon to 10pm i think?
The buggy valet may be discontinued soon as yet another one of the SCRM's cutbacks.