Singapore Expats

What Pass to Apply for my spouse?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ramya1389

What Pass to Apply for my spouse?

Post by ramya1389 » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 5:16 pm

Hi,

I came to singapore with my parents when i was in Primary School. Since then i have been holding a Singapore PR status.

But now my parents have gone back to our own country for more than 2 yrs. Now i am getting married to a guy from my hometown. But he is planning to shift here as well.

I am confused about what pass to apply for him. Is it the Long term Visit pass or PR itself.
We want to move here immidiately after my marriage. But if i apply for PR it takes a long time to process the application. but in Long Term Visit Pass, he cant work here. He is planning to work here.
We plan to get settled here. So what do u suggest the best way for me to do? Do i apply for Long Term Visit Pass first, then after he is here, and has found a job here, then apply for PR then?

coolkiwi

Re: What Pass to Apply for my spouse?

Post by coolkiwi » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 5:47 pm

DELETED
Last edited by coolkiwi on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 8:37 pm

ramya1389 wrote:Hi,

I came to singapore with my parents when i was in Primary School. Since then i have been holding a Singapore PR status.

But now my parents have gone back to our own country for more than 2 yrs. Now i am getting married to a guy from my hometown. But he is planning to shift here as well.

I am confused about what pass to apply for him. Is it the Long term Visit pass or PR itself.
We want to move here immidiately after my marriage. But if i apply for PR it takes a long time to process the application. but in Long Term Visit Pass, he cant work here. He is planning to work here.
We plan to get settled here. So what do u suggest the best way for me to do? Do i apply for Long Term Visit Pass first, then after he is here, and has found a job here, then apply for PR then?
Couple of questions. How old are you now? Where are you now? Have you ever worked in Singapore?

If your parents have given up their PR. You will, in all probability have to prove you can support your husband (this will take a minimum monthly base salary of around 4K/month basic salary. If you cannot meet that standard, then you won't be able to apply for ANY pass for him as you will not be able to provide support (in the eyes of the gahment). If your spouse is from an Asian Country (I'm guessing India), I'm not sure where coolkiwi is getting his information from, but the max he would be able to stay here at one time would be around 2 months only. A 30 day initial SVP and an additional 30 day SVP extension. In extremely rare, rare cases, I've seen longer than that, but not since the 2011 General election, truth be known. The government will be looking at whether or not you could have gotten your PR on your own merits today, instead of riding on your parent's coattails. Your husband's best bet is to try to find a job before he gets here, because, frankly, I have my doubt's he will be approved for either an LTVP or PR in the short term. Applications for LTVPs can take some time and applications for PR's up to 18 months with either rejection or approval at the end, the longer it takes has absolutely no bearing on the outcome of the application. Additionally spouses of PR's are not eligible for LTPV+ This is only for spouses of Citizens. Dependents work on a Letter of Consent but unfortunately Dependent Passes are only available for the spouses of higher income EP holders.
coolkiwi wrote:Hi

My Suggestion

You can bring him in Visit pass and let him stay in the visit pass until he finds a job here(maximum 4 months) By the end of the second month you will know the job opportunity for his profession in SG. Incase if its difficult to find one , then only apply for LTVP. Because now it s so difficult to get PR and it will take at least 8 months to process so apply for PR only aftr getting a good job and stay in Singapore for sometime.Ask him to start apply for jobs before he coming here so he can attend some interviews right aftr reaching here.
All the best for both of you
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coolkiwi

Post by coolkiwi » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:47 am

DELETED
Last edited by coolkiwi on Fri, 15 Sep 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:55 am

If your parents have returned to your home country , that may have some impact on your future PR renewals if the Govt dig into your background. Your family will have already shown that PR for them was anything but PR.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ramya1389

Post by ramya1389 » Sat, 06 Dec 2014 12:45 pm

I have been here from my primary 2. But i went overseas for my studies. Now I am working for a year in singapore. My salary is 2.5K.

AS for my parents, even though they have returned to india, they havent cancelled their PR yet.

As for my spouse, its will be quite easier to get a job for him as he has about 7-8 yrs experience and he is a masters holder. I have already asked him to start applying for job here. I am also helping to look for a job. But i can see that a lot of jobs suitable for him, but they are actually asking for PRs and Citizen. Thats why i thought that he will have a better opportunity after he has come here.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 06 Dec 2014 1:53 pm

ramya1389 wrote:I have been here from my primary 2. But i went overseas for my studies. Now I am working for a year in singapore. My salary is 2.5K.

AS for my parents, even though they have returned to india, they havent cancelled their PR yet.

As for my spouse, its will be quite easier to get a job for him as he has about 7-8 yrs experience and he is a masters holder. I have already asked him to start applying for job here. I am also helping to look for a job. But i can see that a lot of jobs suitable for him, but they are actually asking for PRs and Citizen. Thats why i thought that he will have a better opportunity after he has come here.
do your parents have their REPs? if they don't, then their PR is kaput. ICA knows this (see ICA's remarks to Tey Tsun Hang, an SPR, as he attempted to leave Singapore).

7-8 years experience + Master's (!) not= easier to get a job.

[of course, if it's a job in healthcare (dentist, therapist, etc), then my last remark does not apply.]

i don't think ICA doles out SPR to applicants to allow them a better chance to get employed. that's not really the purpose of permanent residency.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ramya1389

Post by ramya1389 » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 10:54 am

My parents do have their REPs. Its vaild for 2 more yrs actually.