Singapore Expats

Advice Renounce Singapore citizenship

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
mel80

Advice Renounce Singapore citizenship

Post by mel80 » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 1:38 am

i dunno what happen to my old account... but i had to register a new one... here it goes again.. my history

MadScientist pls comment
- Moved out of the Singapore on Jul10 2011 to the US
- Kids moved with us ( Son is now 11 ( DOB in Aug 2003) Daughter 8 ( DOB Aug 2006)
- son has no exit permit applied when we left Singapore.
- received our GreenCard on Aug 2012 as i was processed under the EB1 Category.
- renewed our Singapore passport on 24/03/2013 but not used at all... should i return my sons passport to the singapore NY consulate to void it?
- have not been to Singapore since Jul10 2011

We have decided to take up US citizenship when the 5 yr period is due as per USCIS guidelines

as i have a son .. i doubt i can hold onto dual citizenship for too long ...

Question i have is ..
1) do i need to register my son for NS when he reaches the age of 13 or hold back?.. looks like i need to do a yr 364 days EP.
2) do i need to apply the Singapore NRIC for him when he reaches the required age or hold back .. is it 15 yrs??
3) i have a HDB flat under me and spouse name for 12 yrs now ( since 1998) , do we need to sell the flat if we take up US citizenship?? i read in some place i need to sell off my flat..

Thanks for your advice in advance
Last edited by mel80 on Wed, 03 Dec 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mel80

Re: Advice Renounce Singapore citizenship

Post by mel80 » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 2:15 am

from what i read.. my son would need to apply exit permit when he reaches 13 (DOB) and do it till 16 yrs old (EP will be applied 1 yr 364 days to avoid the bond fee ) which by then we will have gotten our US citizenship assuming we start the process to acquire citizenship on Aug 2017 ( Son will be 14 yrs old ( DOB) ) and hopefully get it before he turns 16 (DOB) ..

am i right?

do i still need to get him his NRIC at 15?
Last edited by mel80 on Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 5:56 pm

you might be cutting it a bit too thin... assumptions don't always work out.

my comments are mine, and i am no pro at this.

does your son have a singapore passport? (ie, no other citizenships) if he doesn't, then how can he return his singapore passport?

assuming he holds only a singapore passport, then i think registering for an NRIC isn't a big deal (my opinion), and it ensures you son does not run afoul of the law (a la NS registration, etc) and will likely make renunciation easier at a later time as you will not be tempted to just skip doing the necessary.

your son left singapore at aged 7 (well before the age of 10 or 11) and by the time NS registration comes about, i think enough time has been spent overseas to make a good case (US green card and eventual citizenship) that you guys will never come back. follow what needs to be done, and i don't see any hurdles to your son's renunciation when he is 21 as a dual citizenship holder.

he cannot renounce it any earlier, i don't think...

therefore, answers to Q1 and Q2 are: just do it, in case your son's life gets messed up by your poor judgment/actions.

Q3. i believe a non-citizen is not entitled to own an HDB flat. how you get rid of it, is up to you i guess. i believe HDB gives certain extensions upon appeal - you will still have ties to singapore through your children until your girl turns 21.

never say never.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

mel80

Post by mel80 » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 9:30 pm

well... some timelines i have to assume.. as my PR i received it after 7 months applying... i applied in Jan 2012 and received it in Aug 2012.. as i was processed in the EB1 category .. so hopefully being in this category prior will speed up my US citizenship attainment shorter

mel80

Post by mel80 » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 9:18 am

can i know if MS will come in this section of the forum?? or do i need to post in Strickly Speaking???

my question is what do i do after 13??

do i do this?? Once EP is approved at 13, submit application to defer pending renunciation at 21 to Mindef.

which i believe before he reaches 16.. we would have gotten the US citizenship

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:46 pm

if you follow the NS registration/how to renounce threads (or search for them), you will know exactly what to do. i don't really see any new issues/questions being raised by you...

MS doesn't work for this forum. if he's not coming onto this forum, then you would not get a reply even if you post it to his PM inbox.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:27 pm

taxico wrote:if you follow the NS registration/how to renounce threads (or search for them), you will know exactly what to do. i don't really see any new issues/questions being raised by you...

MS doesn't work for this forum. if he's not coming onto this forum, then you would not get a reply even if you post it to his PM inbox.
Oops so many requests. Sorry, I do not have anything to give nor advise for you. My infos are all out dated and stone age history. I do not have anything else to offer and my cupboard is bare for all to see
Decide whatever you wish to do at your own discretion. I do not take any responsibility for any predicament nor actions that you take from reading my posts if any
Yes, I do not work for this forum nor for anybody else
Those that can provide you more insight is more than welcome to point you to the right direction.
This will be the last post that I will reply.
Good luck
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 8:41 am

mel80 wrote:from what i read.. my son would need to apply exit permit when he reaches 13 (DOB) and do it till 16 yrs old (EP will be applied 1 yr 364 days to avoid the bond fee ) which by then we will have gotten our US citizenship assuming we start the process to acquire citizenship on Aug 2017 ( Son will be 14 yrs old ( DOB) ) and hopefully get it before he turns 16 (DOB) ..

am i right?

do i still need to get him his NRIC at 15?
I would avoid applying for an NRIC if at all possible. I would also follow the instructions MS has posted about indicating intention to renounce citizenship as you are following a path to foreign citizenship.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!