Singapore Expats

Experience of ViewQwest with Freedom VPN

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
BOTJ

Experience of ViewQwest with Freedom VPN

Post by BOTJ » Sat, 06 Dec 2014 8:04 pm

Does anyone have experience of using ViewQwest and their Freedom VPN with a UK Roku3, AppleTV, XBOX1, PS3 and PS4 to watch UK channels such as Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD etc as well as other channels such as Vevo, Netflix, Hulu and Disney etc?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Experience of ViewQwest with Freedom VPN

Post by taxico » Sat, 06 Dec 2014 10:48 pm

i'd be interested too. i've sort of given up waiting for myrepublic and am now considering taking up a viewquest plan.

however the freedon VPN seems a little bit pricey. if it were a dollar or two cheaper, i think i'd take it. i am a tiny bit technically inclined and able to sort the configuration out by myself with a third party VPN provider - there are better VPN deals out there to be found.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 5:32 am

We've had viewquest since August. Got the 300Mb package and get about 120Mb on wi-fi. the freedom vpn is dead simple, we use it for all UK sites and I often access US and AUS websites with no problems.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 8:11 am

I don't have VQ but another VPN; besides accessing sites, you mention "we use it for all UK sites and I often access US and AUS websites" - do you use it with services the OP mentioned "such as Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD... Vevo, Netflix, Hulu and Disney etc?"

I ask as reading this I don't think I'm making the most of my VPN, which is Witopia, and am curious how others use theirs.

Witopia is dead simple and USD $70 a year.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 1:07 pm

Appreciate the ongoing replies to my OP. To clarify, I specifically want to know whether anyone has experience of watching UK channels in particular Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD etc using a Roku3, XBOX1, PS3 and/or PS4 as oppose to a web browser; as well as Vevo, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney etc using the aforesaid devices with VQ + Freedom VPN?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 3:07 pm

Brah wrote:I don't have VQ but another VPN; besides accessing sites, you mention "we use it for all UK sites and I often access US and AUS websites" - do you use it with services the OP mentioned "such as Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD... Vevo, Netflix, Hulu and Disney etc?"

I ask as reading this I don't think I'm making the most of my VPN, which is Witopia, and am curious how others use theirs.

Witopia is dead simple and USD $70 a year.
Should mention that although Viewquest calls it a Vpn, it's actually nothing like a typical VPN most people subscribe to. It's always-on, only works on your home connection, and only handles geo-blocks. A real VPN does much more.
On the plus side though, their service handles all countries at the same time where a regular VPN would require you to connect to appropriate country, one at a time.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 3:10 pm

BOTJ wrote:Appreciate the ongoing replies to my OP. To clarify, I specifically want to know whether anyone has experience of watching UK channels in particular Now TV, BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD etc using a Roku3, XBOX1, PS3 and/or PS4 as oppose to a web browser; as well as Vevo, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney etc using the aforesaid devices with VQ + Freedom VPN?
None of those specific devices, I used AppleTV myself. If the site you're trying to use is listed on VQ's page it will work transparently from any device you try, as long as you ensure you're on your home network and using their DNS servers (should work automatically unless you mucked with things)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Brah wrote:I don't have VQ but another VPN;
Should mention that although Viewquest calls it a Vpn, it's actually nothing like a typical VPN ....

On the plus side though, their service handles all countries at the same time where a regular VPN would require you to connect to appropriate country, one at a time.
Is that actually a good thing, all countries at the same time? Seems strange.

I would at least like the option of being able to choose my tunnel, but there must be benefits to have all-on at once.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 10:28 pm

Brah wrote:...I ask as reading this I don't think I'm making the most of my VPN, which is Witopia, and am curious how others use theirs...
i use it for netflix and hulu plus.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:08 pm

I use it thru my UK purchased Apple TV and my free (given with contract) SG Apple TV to access iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player, UK Spotify, iTunes (UK & US) Netflix (UK&US) NBC.com and quite a few other 'international' sites. No Problems so far.
Last edited by CaptainBullus on Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:38 pm

player (iPlayer?) 4OD, ITV Player via Apple TV?

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:57 pm

BOTJ wrote:player (iPlayer?) 4OD, ITV Player via Apple TV?

Yes. (edited above to correct to iPlayer)

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 12:07 am

AFAIK Apple TVs do not have those channels available. How are you able to watch those channels via the Apple TV?

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 12:13 am

Ah I see, sorry. I watch on my tv from laptop streamed via iPlayer. But on PS3 I have watched as mentioned above.

BOTJ

Post by BOTJ » Mon, 08 Dec 2014 12:17 am

Good to know it works via PS3. Do you stream from laptop to Apple TV using Airplay? and this is using VQ Freedom VPN?