Singapore Expats

WP disallowed for service sector if workers are not Chinese

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

WP disallowed for service sector if workers are not Chinese

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 6:51 pm

Just came across this little gem today: If you aren’t Chinese, you can’t compete in Singapore

Something that frankly I wasn't aware of... so if you run a restaurant or a beauty shop, you can employ locals, PRs, Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans and Malays for you low-wage jobs. But no Indians or others on WP - only on S-Pass or EP (if you pay enough for that).

Seems a bit strange to single out a few origin countries for WP for the service sector. Well, not so strange if you think about racial quotas, really :-"

nakatago

Re: WP disallowed for service sector if workers are not Chin

Post by nakatago » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 7:06 pm

#thatsaracist
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 8:03 pm

not racist unless non-NAS/PRC/malaysian applicants are entirely exempted from the category.

this also means prospective employees from elsewhere should/would be paid more. good thing, no?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 11:52 pm

taxico wrote:not racist unless non-NAS/PRC/malaysian applicants are entirely exempted from the category.

this also means prospective employees from elsewhere should/would be paid more. good thing, no?
I heard this in the yard

Some were thinking this is to import more PRCs, ... no clue what that means :eek:

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:36 am

taxico wrote:not racist unless non-NAS/PRC/malaysian applicants are entirely exempted from the category.

Good thing for the employees from other countries, not-so-good thing for the companies. However, I have thought about this before - those service companies in Singapore are living on borrowed time. In a country where you would basically need at least S$1,500 to just survive normally, paying employees less than that cannot go well in the long run. They have to pay more competitive wages, which then also results in higher cost of services - say goodbye to your $2 chicken rice ;)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:54 am

Still making decisions based on race.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 2:42 pm

nakatago wrote:

Still making decisions based on race.
Non-NAS/PRC/Malays are entirely exempted from obtaining work passes in the services sector as defined by MoM. Not sure how that's not racist.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 5:39 pm

persons from elsewhere just need an EP to do so... or am i mistaken?

i see filipinos and indian nationals (non-SPR/WP) working in restaurants, etc...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 6:11 pm

taxico wrote:persons from elsewhere just need an EP to do so... or am i mistaken?

i see Filipinos and Indian nationals (non-SPR/WP) working in restaurants, etc...
They need an S-Pass not an EP, but its lopsided isn't it? a Chinese establishment would have fewer bottlenecks to do business, they can get cheap easy labor from china. whereas for say an Indian one it'll be that much more expensive.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:27 pm

taxico wrote:persons from elsewhere just need an EP to do so... or am i mistaken?

i see filipinos and indian nationals (non-SPR/WP) working in restaurants, etc...
Now for Spass of Filipino / Indian MOM is insisting on degree !!!! Even those working in FnB line

Different rules for PRC!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:28 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:

i see Filipinos and Indian nationals (non-SPR/WP) working in restaurants, etc...
They need an S-Pass not an EP, but its lopsided isn't it? a Chinese establishment would have fewer bottlenecks to do business, they can get cheap easy labor from china. whereas for say an Indian one it'll be that much more expensive.
Or the idea is for Indian restaurants to employ PRC / Malaysian

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 12:51 am

From my experience, and I am big time Indian restaurant foodie, most of the Indian restaurant staff are Indians, I do see a few PRCs but they dont take orders, they at best bring food from the kitchen to the table or clean tables. Also the waiters that take orders look pretty well off, they definitely seem S Pass category or PRs and definitely not the work permit league.

The waiters at the Local Indian restaurants though, I am pretty sure most are Malaysian Indians. From the article the author calls her self "Born and Bred Singaporean", I am guessing she is mainly talking about these Local Indian restaurants. Their prices are low, they sell roti prata for like $1.50. Thats very difficult business. The Expat Indian restaurants on Syed Alwi road or else where seem to always be brisk with business and doing pretty good, I think they can afford to pay S-Pass salaries to their staff.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 04 Dec 2014 7:05 am

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:

Or the idea is for Indian restaurants to employ PRC / Malaysian
^^ which is what most of them are doing anyway, I was surprised to see some prc dude selling vadai in one if the stalls, the chap seemed to enjoy his work actually never mind how he pronounced various Indian food.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 09 Dec 2014 8:31 pm

Can there really be different rules based on race for the same job? :( That's just grim.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 Dec 2014 9:10 pm

movingtospore wrote:Can there really be different rules based on race for the same job? :( That's just grim.
based on 'past trends' the govt fine tunes about the preferences

for example, see this .. for maids !!

From an approved source country/territory. These countries/territories include Bangladesh, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Macau, Malaysia, The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand - See more at: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... 23czm.dpuf