Singapore Expats

Retirement in Singapore for expats

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
BrianW

Retirement in Singapore for expats

Post by BrianW » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 1:21 pm

Where can I find basic information about immigration/residence regulations for UK non-working citizens who want to stay long term in Singapore (retirement)? None of the regular sources seems to address this specifically. Or is it easier to stay long term under a professional/work visa?

B Walling, London, UK

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Yutenji » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 2:01 pm

Hi Brian, have you tried here ... http://app.ica.gov.sg ?
Good luck

BrianW

Post by BrianW » Tue, 13 Jul 2004 2:33 pm

Yutenji wrote:Hi Brian, have you tried here ... http://app.ica.gov.sg ?
Good luck
Thanks, yes, I looked here, since it's the official source, but it's absolutely silent on the issue. Essentially it indicates that you have to have a Singapore family connection, be an investor or be on a professional/technical work visa in order to qualify for permanant residency. Nothing about retired expat professionals no longer working but able to support themselves.

amnesia

buying condo/house

Post by amnesia » Wed, 18 Aug 2004 1:31 pm

BrianW wrote:
Yutenji wrote:Hi Brian, have you tried here ... http://app.ica.gov.sg ?
Good luck
Thanks, yes, I looked here, since it's the official source, but it's absolutely silent on the issue. Essentially it indicates that you have to have a Singapore family connection, be an investor or be on a professional/technical work visa in order to qualify for permanant residency. Nothing about retired expat professionals no longer working but able to support themselves.
I have heard that if u buying a condo in Singapore and you will eligible to apply for PR that mean you can stay there. I'm really sure but you can search for detail.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yoongf » Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:57 am

The truth of the matter is that Singapore lacks natural resources, and the authorities believe that for the nation to prosper, all residents (local and foreign citizens) have to be contributing economically to the nation. This belief has shaped the immigration policy to allow only high value-add foreigners and their dependents.

Generally, retirees are not viewed as “high value add”

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:08 pm

You might want to look over the Causeway to Malaysia, which has some relatively attractive programs for retirees, and your ringgit will stretch a lot further there as well. Thailand also used to be good, but they've tightened up the minimum monthly requirements a lot recently...

hanesa

Setting up in Singapore

Post by hanesa » Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:19 am

My husband and I run a logistic business in singapore since 2002. A a small company we are catagorized as Small Medium Entreprise companies (SMEs).

We are looking for an investor and if you can contribute apart from financially, (contacts and business expertise for our expansion) we be glad to discuss further. If I'm not wrong the minimum investment for an individual to qualify for a permanent resident is SGD200,000 and you can apply for a employment permit and eventualy request for PR. My husband is 51 and is retiring soon (well not true, he wants to work) and a man at his age is difficult to get a job.

Even if it doesn't work out, we love to help and show you other options for you to stay in Singapore. Email me at [email protected]

Tigger

Re: Retirement in Singapore for expats

Post by Tigger » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 11:46 am

BrianW wrote:Where can I find basic information about immigration/residence regulations for UK non-working citizens who want to stay long term in Singapore (retirement)? None of the regular sources seems to address this specifically. Or is it easier to stay long term under a professional/work visa?

B Walling, London, UK
Walling, u can also go surf this website : www.sg for more details. :wink: