Singapore Expats

Damn litigious Americans...

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Damn litigious Americans...

Post by Fohls » Wed, 08 Jun 2005 1:34 pm

No offence to any americans just found this in my junk mail folder and laughed...

The "Stella" awards rank up there with the Darwin awards. Stella Liebeck is the 81-year-old lady who spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonalds, winning millions of dollars. This case inspired an annual award -The "Stella" Award - for the most frivolous lawsuits in the U.S.

The following are 2000's candidates:

1. January 2000: Kathleen Robertson of Austin Texas was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little b*stard was Ms. Robertson's son.

2. June 1998: A 19 year old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbour ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car, when he was trying to steal his neighbour's hubcaps.

3. October 1998: Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation. Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of half a million dollars.

4. October 1999: Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbour's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced-in yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

5. May 2000: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

6. December 1997: Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighbouring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

7. And the winner is: Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City. In November 2000 Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having joined the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly the Winnie left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the handbook that he couldn't actually do this. He was awarded $1,750,000 plus a new Winnie. (Winniebago actually changed their owners' manuals because of this court case, just in case there are any other complete morons buying their vehicles.)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2005 1:45 pm

Fohls,

I can't believe you are that gullible. :mrgreen:

Stella Awards

Should never take anything that come in your junk mail as the gospel. You know that.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Fohls
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fohls » Wed, 08 Jun 2005 1:50 pm

haha didn't claim it was true just said it made me laugh :lol:

Post by Guest » Wed, 08 Jun 2005 9:15 pm

May 2000: A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx. The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson threw it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

Why didn't the stafff of this restaurant clean it up after it had been thrown. What if I, you or anyone else for that matter had slipped and broken our head or an arm three or minutes later????

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:15 am

Anonymous wrote:Why didn't the stafff of this restaurant clean it up after it had been thrown. What if I, you or anyone else for that matter had slipped and broken our head or an arm three or minutes later????
Probably for the same reason that you didn't bother to check out the link in my earlier posting. If you had, you would have known that this is nothing but an urban legend and did not actually happen at all. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post by Guest » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 12:57 am

Fine, SMS.

Pink

Post by Pink » Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:12 am

haha. thnks.
its damm funny.

Morticia

Post by Morticia » Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:48 am

This always makes me laugh... the cases posted may be false, but they DO give a pretty accurate idea of how twittish many Americans have become... I should know... :shock:
Anywhere but straight.