Singapore Expats

Paid childcare leave

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Paid childcare leave

Post by Fortan » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 2:45 pm

I am a little in doubt as how to understand the rules here in Singapore, when it comes to childcare leave.

I have been told by the company I work for that I have no paid childcare leave but if I look at MOM's site it clearly states. I can add that I am on a local Singapore contract, so shouldn't this apply to me, even though I am not PR or Citizen? I've been employed since June last year and have a 14 month old child.
Eligibility & entitlement under the Employment Act

Parents of non-citizens covered under the Employment Act are entitled to 2 days of childcare leave per year if:

The child (including legally adopted children or stepchildren) is below seven years of age; and
The employee has worked for the employer for at least 3 months.
Childcare leave for each parent is capped at 2 days per year regardless of the number of qualifying children.

- See more at: http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practi ... .aspx#eeea

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 2:59 pm

Are you covered by the employment act?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 3:48 pm

The employment act applies to all employees earning S$2000/month or below (and certain professions, classified as "workmen" and "managers" up to S$4500/month).
All others have only their employment contract to specify rules.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 4:46 pm

beppi wrote: All others have only their employment contract to specify rules.
Therein lies the rub! :x
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 28 Mar 2014 5:39 pm

Childcare leave is covered under the Child Development Co-Savings Act rather than the Employment Act

The Child Development Co-Savings Act covers all employees

Edit: Ignore that as only relates to Singaporeans which I'm used to reading up on!

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:08 am

beppi wrote:The employment act applies to all employees earning S$2000/month or below (and certain professions, classified as "workmen" and "managers" up to S$4500/month).
All others have only their employment contract to specify rules.
Ah I see. I was unsure what the employment act was. Ah well…. :)

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Paid childcare leave

Post by nanana » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 1:55 am

trying to look for answer here...
i'm sg PR, earning less than 2k/month. i have 2 children. both under 7 yo. one of them is s'porean. my child (the s'porean) recently underwent a surgery. i was told i'm not entitled for paid childcare leave. they wanted me to apply annual leave for my absence.

like the OP, i searched MOM website...nothing is said about parent has to be citizen?
anyone can shed some light? the only thing different is i am a single parent... could that be the reason?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 3:52 am

You are eligible for child care leave to look after your sick child, just like anyone else who works in Singapore (regardless of nationality). If the company does not want to grant you this right, call MoM for assistance!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 4:03 am

nanana wrote:trying to look for answer here...
i'm sg PR, earning less than 2k/month. i have 2 children. both under 7 yo. one of them is s'porean. my child (the s'porean) recently underwent a surgery. i was told i'm not entitled for paid childcare leave. they wanted me to apply annual leave for my absence.

like the OP, i searched MOM website...nothing is said about parent has to be citizen?
anyone can shed some light? the only thing different is i am a single parent... could that be the reason?
It seems you are covered under Child Development Co-Savings Act and you are entitled to 2 to 6 days a year (assuming your employment is 3 months or longer).

On the other hand I just took a look at the act and it has many parts that can be overridden by ministerial regulations - it's better you call MOM and check with them.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 6:32 am

Depends on how much money you make as to whether the act applies to you or not.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:20 am

Fortan wrote:..
Chidlcare and such benefits listed in MOM site only applies to SC/PR, and even for PR, there are lesser privileges, though some companies give PR same privileges as SC !!

Unless your employee treats everybody as same, nothing you can do

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:44 am

I have been through this discussion recently due to our new arrival and as GM of our Singapore office I have been negotiating with HR on behalf of the employees.

As noted above foreigners are not entitled to the same child care privileges as citizens or PR's. The company I work for has been pretty good about it. They already allowed 2 days paid child care leave and are now increasing that to 5 days paid.

Although such clauses may not be in your contract is it possible to negotiate with the company now?