Singapore Expats

Landed property for PRs

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Landed property for PRs

Post by mystic_river » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:08 am

I couldn't find any topic on this so I am starting this thread. Apologies in advance if a topic like this does exist.

My parents are finally deciding to buy a landed property here in Singapore. Me and my parents are all PRs and have been PRs for almost 10 years now, so from what I understand we need to apply for a permit with SLA before we can buy a house.

Background info - we already have the house in mind that we want to buy. It's basically the current house house that we are staying in on a lease. However, the landlord now wants to sell the house and we want to buy the house.

My question is basically simple, what are the chances that our permit will get approved? What are the factors that SLA consider to determine the outcome of this application? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Landed property for PRs

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:16 am

We had a poster here a couple of years ago that purchased a landed property successfully and subsequently sold it when he lost his position and had a dry spell and eventually upped and went to Australia. So, it's possible but with today's xenophobic locals it's anybody's guess, but I'd hazzard a guess that if your family has the wherewithal then it's possible. The worst they can do is say no.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:07 pm

I'd say your chances are at least reasonable... check this webpage and then read over the application form... see how you all fit into the questions on the application.

http://www.sla.gov.sg/htm/ser/ser0306.htm

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I saw that link and the form but my dad doesn't really feel confident, especially because he applied for citizenship last year and got rejected.

He currently has a sole proprietorship and does not employ anyone. Not sure how does that really affect the chances. But anyway, guess we'll just apply, see how it goes and I'll update this space.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 5:47 pm

But what he can do? He has to give it a try and that's it unless the current owner is going to wait till your father's SGC gets approved in one point what may never happen.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 8:51 am

Good luck, personally I doubt you'll succeed in getting approval if the landed property is a typical low to mid range suburban bungalow or mid terrace; it would be another matter altogether if it was on Sentosa or an upscale clustered development. It seems SLA have tightened up on these being sold to FT from anecdotal evidence. HOWEVER, please let us know the outcome - and as the others have said there is nothing to be feared in applying for permission.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:04 am

PNGMK wrote:Good luck, personally I doubt you'll succeed in getting approval if the landed property is a typical low to mid range suburban bungalow or mid terrace; it would be another matter altogether if it was on Sentosa or an upscale clustered development. It seems SLA have tightened up on these being sold to FT from anecdotal evidence. HOWEVER, please let us know the outcome - and as the others have said there is nothing to be feared in applying for permission.
Thanks. Personally, I doubt I'll succeed too but I do want my dad to apply. He, however, doesn't have any hopes at all and doesn't even wanna give it a shot. Guess he wants to save the $900 application fee.

The landed property is low to mid I guess. Bank valuation puts it at 3.5mil. It's a Semi D somewhere in the west.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:13 am

mystic_river wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Good luck, personally I doubt you'll succeed in getting approval if the landed property is a typical low to mid range suburban bungalow or mid terrace; it would be another matter altogether if it was on Sentosa or an upscale clustered development. It seems SLA have tightened up on these being sold to FT from anecdotal evidence. HOWEVER, please let us know the outcome - and as the others have said there is nothing to be feared in applying for permission.
Thanks. Personally, I doubt I'll succeed too but I do want my dad to apply. He, however, doesn't have any hopes at all and doesn't even wanna give it a shot. Guess he wants to save the $900 application fee.

The landed property is low to mid I guess. Bank valuation puts it at 3.5mil. It's a Semi D somewhere in the west.
Perhaps he (maybe rightly) is having second thoughts for other reasons.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 18 Nov 2014 7:45 pm

i don't think it's as clear cut as the price/size, but really a mix of factors (including taxes paid, job, years as a PR, an unofficial quota and directions from above).

seeing the information you've provided does not give me much optimism... but if your dad doesn't roll the dice...

the trend, if i remember correctly, is to drastically reduce the number of PRs that get approval for landed property ownership every year.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam