Singapore Expats

Shisha to go in 2016 .... Alcohol next on the list ...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Shisha to go in 2016 .... Alcohol next on the list ...

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:17 am

Just read that early next year the Govt is gonna look into increasing the control on the sale of alcohol :D

Cant post link as my connection very slow and not connecting to source :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Shisha to go in 2016 .... Alcohol next on the list ...

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:23 am

Not gonna happen. Expats will leave the day after a ban is in effect.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:45 am

The subject is misleading, they aren't looking at banning alcohol just increasing controls. Looks to me like restrictions in some public places and residential areas might be coming.

Singapore without alcohol, now that would be a hardship posting. :o

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:48 am

Barnsley wrote:Just read that early next year the Govt is gonna look into increasing the control on the sale of alcohol :D

Banning Shisha was just a matter of time, and it is right

Not all those who puff Shisha are checked for IC, while the 7-11 Aunty insists on Seeing my IC when I asked for Marlboro !!!!

And I saw a few kids, like a game, one pulls the smoke and does mouth-to-mouth transfer to another and on and they were having fun.

The nearby shop guy just quipped that none of them inhaled, though the notion that all will not inhale is like allowing kids to smoke insisting they don't inhale

Out

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:50 am

bgd wrote:The subject is misleading, they aren't looking at banning alcohol just increasing controls. Looks to me like restrictions in some public places and residential areas might be coming.

Hardship ?

well, how about Brunei ?? with Alcohol Ban ??

then again ..

Brunei has one of the most generous duty free allowances of any country in the world. Regulations permit two litres of alcohol (spirits or wine) and twelve cans of beer to be imported up to twice a day. These can either be brought into the country upon arrival or purchased at any border at any time during your stay

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:25 am

ecureilx wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Just read that early next year the Govt is gonna look into increasing the control on the sale of alcohol :D

Banning Shisha was just a matter of time, and it is right

Not all those who puff Shisha are checked for IC, while the 7-11 Aunty insists on Seeing my IC when I asked for Marlboro !!!!

And I saw a few kids, like a game, one pulls the smoke and does mouth-to-mouth transfer to another and on and they were having fun.

The nearby shop guy just quipped that none of them inhaled, though the notion that all will not inhale is like allowing kids to smoke insisting they don't inhale

Out
Sounds like Mr. Clinton. I smoked weed but I didn't inhale! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:34 am

ecureilx wrote:
bgd wrote:The subject is misleading, they aren't looking at banning alcohol just increasing controls. Looks to me like restrictions in some public places and residential areas might be coming.

Hardship ?

well, how about Brunei ?? with Alcohol Ban ??

then again ..

Brunei has one of the most generous duty free allowances of any country in the world. Regulations permit two litres of alcohol (spirits or wine) and twelve cans of beer to be imported up to twice a day. These can either be brought into the country upon arrival or purchased at any border at any time during your stay
I think of Brunei in the same way as I think of some of the Gulf countries, especially after they have implemented the Shariah law, so no comparison with Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 12:13 pm

Shame you can't post a link, as Google/News doesn't seem to unearth anything.

So what might it be? Control of sale of alcohol in the places frequented by out of hours 'workers'? You know, keep a lid on any riots?

Alcohol is already taxed to the hilt here. And like countries with higher taxation (Norway) or licensing hours (Norway, and the US) it doesn't change consumption, not one bit - it just raises more taxes.

A beer here (out) is already probably S$20. What next STB ads featuring people in burkas enjoying a nice cup of tea during their stop-over? Think that's going to draw the EU/US/ANZ stop-overs, when KUL/BKK etc are so much cheaper and more chilled out... ?

p.s. Shisha are pretty filthy IME. Fun to try once, but, really, who uses one by habit...

--- out of interest has anyone here even been to Brunei or Tehran?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 1:25 pm

JR8 wrote: Shame you can't post a link, as Google/News doesn't seem to unearth anything.

So what might it be? Control of sale of alcohol in the places frequented by out of hours 'workers'? You know, keep a lid on any riots?

Alcohol is already taxed to the hilt here. And like countries with higher taxation (Norway) or licensing hours (Norway, and the US) it doesn't change consumption, not one bit - it just raises more taxes.

A beer here (out) is already probably S$20. What next STB ads featuring people in burkas enjoying a nice cup of tea during their stop-over? Think that's going to draw the EU/US/ANZ stop-overs, when KUL/BKK etc are so much cheaper and more chilled out... ?

p.s. Shisha are pretty filthy IME. Fun to try once, but, really, who uses one by habit...

--- out of interest has anyone here even been to Brunei or Tehran?
Here's the link

http://tinyurl.com/la367xb

It was just discussed yesterday in Parliament, I believe

This was possibly the driver for this direction

However, health experts have warned that a single session of smoking shisha is the same as smoking 200 cigarettes.

I have relatives in Brunei, not been there though !!!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 2:25 pm

http://live.channelnewsasia.com/news/sp ... 52522.html

This is on Channel News Asia if the link gets blocked.

Search - Alcohol Control 2015 Singapore
Life is short, paddle harder!!

danielhh

Post by danielhh » Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:46 pm

the article doesn't say anything about a ban of alcohol

" The measures under consideration include restricting public consumption of liquor and the hours for retail sales of liquor"

i was scared for a second