Singapore Expats

NewDadda's guide please!

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Christine_y2uk

NewDadda's guide please!

Post by Christine_y2uk » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 3:12 pm

I was super-keen to read the sticky guide from NewDadda on pre-school/kindy/childcare options - I'm still struggling with the differences between the three - but it seems to have been cut off after the first few lines, at least in my browser. Would someone be able to repost it or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Would be very grateful!

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: NewDadda's guide please!

Post by Pal » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 3:32 pm

Christine_y2uk wrote:I was super-keen to read the sticky guide from NewDadda on pre-school/kindy/childcare options - I'm still struggling with the differences between the three - but it seems to have been cut off after the first few lines, at least in my browser. Would someone be able to repost it or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Would be very grateful!
Don't quite get you.

Can you post a screenshot of it?
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 3:52 pm

I think she may be referring to this post:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 52#p601152

However, NewDadd edited that post 3 times and may have removed the rest of the content as it didn't look quite complete.
Singapore Expats

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 4:01 pm

Christine_y2uk wrote:I was super-keen to read the sticky guide from NewDadda on pre-school/kindy/childcare options - I'm still struggling with the differences between the three - but it seems to have been cut off after the first few lines, at least in my browser. Would someone be able to repost it or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Would be very grateful!
I saw the same thing, the post was edited by NewDadda for 3 times, so he/she may have removed the rest of the post..

I would think Kindergarten (noun), nursery (noun) and preschool (adjective) mean the same thing.

Childcare would mean the school may offer nap time, bath time, snack time for the preschoolers and usually run for longer hours ie: 7am to 7pm.
Singapore Expats

Christine_y2uk

Post by Christine_y2uk » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 4:39 pm

That was what I was referring to, so thanks, and thanks for the guidance. Childcare, kindergarten, pre-school and nursery mean different things in Oz, regardless of the grammatical inaccuracy :)

The bits I'm confused about are the timings - some places offer mornings/afternoons, some short days, some long days etc - and don't always identify themselves as a childcare centre, pre-school etc in their name so I wasn't sure where to start. We don't have family here or domestic help so from next year will need some form of childcare/education that covers the length of the working day.

I'm also uncertain where my son, who'll be four in March, fits into the system ...

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 6:45 pm

Christine_y2uk wrote:That was what I was referring to, so thanks, and thanks for the guidance. Childcare, kindergarten, pre-school and nursery mean different things in Oz, regardless of the grammatical inaccuracy :)

The bits I'm confused about are the timings - some places offer mornings/afternoons, some short days, some long days etc - and don't always identify themselves as a childcare centre, pre-school etc in their name so I wasn't sure where to start. We don't have family here or domestic help so from next year will need some form of childcare/education that covers the length of the working day.

I'm also uncertain where my son, who'll be four in March, fits into the system ...
Yes, some schools only offer half day (ie: 3 hours) either morning session or afternoon sessions. Whereas some offer a choice of half day (3-6 hours) or full day and usually have the flexibility of letting you convert to either half day to full day or full day to half day during the course. Some of the private Preschool operators offer 2 languages English and Mandarin for the Children as part of the program.

You will need to see where you will be staying and I think it's best to reduce travel time for preschoolers as it can be tiring for them if the journey is too far.

Few things to look out during your tour around preschools:

1. Cleanliness - how they keep up with hygiene at school, do they do temperature checks at different times of the day

2. Dedication of teachers - are teachers loving to the children, or do they just leave children out to cry on their own

3. Outdoor play - A place with outdoor play for children is great

4. Environment - Is the school well ventilated, are kids well spaced out, are classrooms roomy

4. Principal - Is principal understanding towards parents and children

5. Curriculum - Take a look at their curriculum and see if you have what they offer

6. Cost - Average cost is from $1,000 - $1,800 per month.

Some International Schools also do operate for preschoolers. You can try these 2 links:

1. Preschools Page http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-f ... chools.htm

2. International Schools Page http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-f ... chools.htm
Singapore Expats

Christine_y2uk

Post by Christine_y2uk » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks again for the guidance, it's much appreciated - guess I'd better start checking out places now in order to find the right one by early new year as there doesn't seem to be any shortage in our vicinity!

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Tue, 11 Nov 2014 9:58 pm

Christine_y2uk wrote:Thanks again for the guidance, it's much appreciated - guess I'd better start checking out places now in order to find the right one by early new year as there doesn't seem to be any shortage in our vicinity!
You're most welcome.
Singapore Expats