Singapore Expats

Has anyone gone through an EP appeal recently?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Has anyone gone through an EP appeal recently?

Post by amarettoSour » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 11:39 pm

Info i can find on this board seems to be mostly over a year old.

I am asking for my friend. She was an EP holder but decided to move on to a new company. She has been in Singapore for 4 years and worked at the same company. She is korean and new salary is 6.5k+ per month with 4 years experience. Holds a degree from accredited university in the states. New job requires korean language ability on business level as it will deal with korean clients.

How long does it take nowadays to appeal EP? It has been about two weeks for her and she hasn't heard back.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Has anyone gone through an EP appeal recently?

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 1:35 am

Appeal? Or did you mean "apply"? Appeal implies she was rejected and you're trying to get MOM to change their decision.

Application approvals (applying not appealing) take anywhere from 48 hours to two months. Factors include the standing of the company with MOM that is applying, the applicants credentials, and whether the role could be completed by a local. Also, was the job posted in jobs bank for the required time?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 6:55 am

amarettoSour wrote:Info i can find on this board seems to be mostly over a year old.

I am asking for my friend. She was an EP holder but decided to move on to a new company. She has been in Singapore for 4 years and worked at the same company. She is korean and new salary is 6.5k+ per month with 4 years experience. Holds a degree from accredited university in the states. New job requires korean language ability on business level as it will deal with korean clients.

How long does it take nowadays to appeal EP? It has been about two weeks for her and she hasn't heard back.
She cannot appeal unless she gets a rejection. Then, depending on how the EP application was filled out, will depend on whether she can appeal or not (the employer has to do the appealing, by the way, not the potential new employee). If the EP application is rejected for criteria AND the box was ticked to be considered for an S pass if no longer eligible for an EP, then no appeal is allowed. An appeal only stands a chance IF there is something relevant, but important to add to the original application. They are not making it easier to get EPs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 8:14 am

Oh yes the EP was rejected. I thought that was implied when i said "appeal". Apologies.

The job had been posted for 3 months even before she applied and got it.

The reason for rejection was bc they want the company to hire singaporean for the postion. But the position requires korean on business level - the chance of hiring locals are quite slim...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 8:27 am

amarettoSour wrote:The reason for rejection was bc they want the company to hire singaporean for the postion. But the position requires korean on business level - the chance of hiring locals are quite slim...
if the appeal did highlight the specific job requirement, it generally works fine.

It may take some time though, as I hear nowadays with the large number of rejections, so have the appeals increased, making the MOM staff busier !!!

Did her employer appeal in writing or personal submission ?

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 8:43 am

Yes job stated Korean as one of the requirement.

Not sure if appeal was submitted in writing or person, but the employer claims to be in touch with MoM on daily basis.

The problem is that at the beginning of the ep process, i felt like they didnt set my friend's expectation correctly. They told her it will only take 48 hours to apply for the ep (to which i said whaaaaat?) and that the appeal will only take 2 weeks (i called bs again) so now she is just waiting around at home unable to make any plans because she thinks she will start work any time now. I told her to just expect to start work end of november, 1 month after the appeal.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 9:33 am

amarettoSour wrote:Yes job stated Korean as one of the requirement.

Not sure if appeal was submitted in writing or person, but the employer claims to be in touch with MoM on daily basis.

The problem is that at the beginning of the ep process, i felt like they didnt set my friend's expectation correctly. They told her it will only take 48 hours to apply for the ep (to which i said whaaaaat?) and that the appeal will only take 2 weeks (i called bs again) so now she is just waiting around at home unable to make any plans because she thinks she will start work any time now. I told her to just expect to start work end of november, 1 month after the appeal.
My recent EP was approved in about 48-72 hours, but it wasn't subject to jobs bank requirements.
Perhaps company's ration of local:foreigner is too low.

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:35 am

Yeah i know that definitely happens sometimes, but as an HR i felt like they should have set their employee's expectation correctly as 48 hours is definitely the best and fastest case scenario.

For me and other friends, our EP has taken anywhere between 1 - 3 weeks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Nov 2014 10:50 am

amarettoSour wrote:The problem is that at the beginning of the ep process, i felt like they didnt set my friend's expectation correctly. They told her it will only take 48 hours to apply for the ep (to which i said whaaaaat?) and that the appeal will only take 2 weeks (i called bs again) so now she is just waiting around at home unable to make any plans because she thinks she will start work any time now. I told her to just expect to start work end of november, 1 month after the appeal.
She should have managed her own expectations

After all MOM Says ..

Approximately 80% of applications are processed within seven working days. The applicant may check application status online. - See more at: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... 08BNM.dpuf

These are perils of job switch

I spent nearly 6 months on Social Visa, minus any pay, because my then employer had messed up the application and appeals as well, repeatedly

And those were the times when you can't submit an EP application while employed

you had to cancel the existing EP, then submit a new one

Risks of job change !!

PS. the HR should have told her the processing can take upto 6 weeks, and then ??? if the pass comes in a day and they expect her to start sooner ... ??

Don't blame the Employer, nowadays many employers refuse to even appeal, and look for new candidates, and nowadays the number of employers referring to Agencies is on the rise.

And, for specific roles, they just tell their uplines they can't meet the needs in Singapore