Singapore Expats

Streaming and Downloading

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Streaming and Downloading

Post by Brah » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 9:09 pm

Starting this thread to get up to speed on these kinds of services as they have changed over the years and since the last post here, I suppose - I've never used any of them so don't really know.

If there is already an up-to-date thread here with this you know of please let me know, I searched but didn't find http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=79503

A few questions I have are:
1. What would you use today? Is NetFlix still the product of choice?

2. Can you download instead of streaming? So you can watch something again, download now / watch later, etc.?

3. Assuming one has a VPN but not a media center TV (but a digital box), what options are there nowadays?
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Streaming and Downloading

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:43 pm

1) Netflix is losing some of the more popular items it had in it's inventory. It's still probably the best option but it's not as good as it was. Now I would suggest just a combination based on what shows you want to watch.

2) "legally"? Usually not unless you buy the show directly from Apple Google or Amazon etc.
Via torrent? Yes there are numerous ways to do this none of them perfectly seamless but most options are pretty easy.

3) Connect your laptop via VPN to a site and watch on the laptop. Or use one of the devices which allow you to send your laptop display to the TV. AppleTV will turn your TV into a second monitor over wifi. You can put whatever you want on the screen. Google Chrome cast will do the same thing but only for chrome tabs.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 08 Nov 2014 1:59 pm

This device, along with a dumb TV monitor, is how I watch tv and movies files:
http://acryan.com/sg/playonhd/33-playon ... eamer.html

My guess is it's a local brand version of a Roku, but my even then cursory knowledge of such things ended with the long-defunct Buzz Out Loud.

It may allow for suggestion #3.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/a-c-ryan- ... ini-review

Just found this forum, too much to read right now, but looks like a good source.

If you buy a movie on iTunes, which formats can you get them in? I don't have AppleTV, but if it's in a reasonably common format, can put it on a thumb drive and the A C Ryan will play it.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 08 Nov 2014 9:32 pm

When you buy a movie on iTunes, they only place you will ever be able to play it is on iTunes or similar device. You cannot copy to another device and play as you could with an mp4. It's the DRM.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 08 Nov 2014 11:20 pm

i use an old laptop, which outputs the display onto a big screen via HDMI. it's a clean windows install, with only firefox + anti-virus software as extras.

a bluetooth keyboard (very rarely used) and mouse is connected to it, and i've got the passwords to hulu plus, netflix and starhub TV anywhere (borrowed) saved into firefox.

an aquarium screen saver kicks in when videos aren't streaming, and the screen powers down after a few hours of inactivity.

the laptop reboots automatically once a day (it's always kept on), and i now primarily watch TV through that... i've cut the cord since this past july.

my wife has taken to it quite well, and no longer misses using the remote. the only downside is waiting a little longer for the video to load (not quite instant...) but for the most part, bearable.

i'm looking forward to getting an HBO (and maybe showtime???) subscription online... but my TV needs are pretty much fulfilled at the moment.

oh, hulu tells you where you can watch stuff (not found on hulu) you're searching for, if they legally exist to stream on the internet.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 12:19 pm

taxico wrote:i use an old laptop, which outputs the display onto a big screen via HDMI. it's a clean windows install, with only firefox + anti-virus software as extras.

a bluetooth keyboard (very rarely used) and mouse is connected to it, and i've got the passwords to hulu plus, netflix and starhub TV anywhere (borrowed) saved into firefox.

an aquarium screen saver kicks in when videos aren't streaming, and the screen powers down after a few hours of inactivity.

the laptop reboots automatically once a day (it's always kept on), and i now primarily watch TV through that... i've cut the cord since this past july.

my wife has taken to it quite well, and no longer misses using the remote. the only downside is waiting a little longer for the video to load (not quite instant...) but for the most part, bearable.

i'm looking forward to getting an HBO (and maybe showtime???) subscription online... but my TV needs are pretty much fulfilled at the moment.

oh, hulu tells you where you can watch stuff (not found on hulu) you're searching for, if they legally exist to stream on the internet.
This sounds closer to what I might want to do.

I can connect to my AC Ryan wirelessly and get YT, RSS, Flickr, and some other such apps, and I believe that there is a way to browse the internet though I don't see a browser app. No Hulu or NetFlix though.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 9:30 pm

Bumping this thread to see if there are any other AC Ryan users here, or if you have similar boxes.

I read somewhere that ACR went out of business, the next day I saw their units for sale (not on sale) at Courts.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:24 pm

I have an ACRyan unit but this is a 6yo model (pre-youtube era).
Out of business? They just introduced a new model. AFAIK their Dutch division got bankrupt in 2012.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:44 pm

Well that's good to hear. Now if it can just be hotrodded to get Netflix.... Isn't that how a Roku works? Not sure I can do what taxico does.

Can you even use a Roku in Singapore?

Total noob here....
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 8:10 pm

Brah wrote:...Not sure I can do what taxico does.
you could always just get a (bunch of) chromecast dongles. it works well for me... i have them plugged into my other TVs and stream from my laptop/iphone.

it now comes with a 3 month (previously 6 i think) free subscription to netflix. the gadget'ss US$29 at best buy. netflix is US$8 a month.

good deal!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 05 Jan 2015 1:01 am

Netflix and Hulu are still your two main choices out there.

If you want to purchase content and download it you ought to be looking towards the likes of iTunes and Google Play. There you can download the content, put it on all your Apple devices from phone to pads or even laptops, or even stream your prevously-purchased content via Apple TV. Google Play should allow for the same using your Android devices if you are of that religion...

Of course there is also Amazon.com/.co.uk of course, and quite often you'll find that their prices for getting the physical product can be better than purchasing a download.