Singapore Expats

What are the Chances of getting LTVP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 9:03 pm

No other solutions that I'm aware of. Knowing the risks is one thing, being prepared to accept the fact that things may not work out the way you would like them to is another. If you do some searches on this board using the search engine, you will find numerous cases that were similar to yours. Sadly, they don't always come back to us to let us know how it all turned out. It's our readers who give us the answers we need to help others and allow us to see trends not always visible to others. Good luck an just keep the faith. Life is a gamble. Who knows, for me I moved half way around the world and after over 3 decades I'm still half way around the world. You cannot make an omelet without breaking a couple of eggs. :-)

What ever you do, keep us posted.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Alexkai

Post by Alexkai » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No other solutions that I'm aware of. Knowing the risks is one thing, being prepared to accept the fact that things may not work out the way you would like them to is another. If you do some searches on this board using the search engine, you will find numerous cases that were similar to yours. Sadly, they don't always come back to us to let us know how it all turned out. It's our readers who give us the answers we need to help others and allow us to see trends not always visible to others. Good luck an just keep the faith. Life is a gamble. Who knows, for me I moved half way around the world and after over 3 decades I'm still half way around the world. You cannot make an omelet without breaking a couple of eggs. :-)

What ever you do, keep us posted.

sms
Thank SMS bro,

I will keep in faith and hope everythings turn out smoothly.
I will update here again once we ROM next month and apply the LTVP

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:02 pm

Good luck to you, Alex. I hope it all works out. I think my husband already owning his flat made a difference in my application, but who knows.

Alexkai

Post by Alexkai » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 6:03 pm

triste wrote:Good luck to you, Alex. I hope it all works out. I think my husband already owning his flat made a difference in my application, but who knows.
You mean your husband monthly salary also same like me but the different is that he have his own flat already. Correct.

AJAX1234

Post by AJAX1234 » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 1:11 pm

Alexkai, any update for your spouse's long term visit pass?

Alexkai

Re: What are the Chances of getting LTVP

Post by Alexkai » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:41 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for those who gave me advise.
I just recently received the IPA (LTVP) for my wife after 1 tried.

Next month will be going down to completion of formality.

I would like to ask will there be any interview for us when we go down for the completion of formality or just submitted the require documents?

How long will it take to receive the LTPV card for my wife.

Thanks

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re:

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 9:30 am

Alexkai wrote:What if she pregnant? Will she have a high chance of getting LTPV? ( My last solution)
What a selfish reason to bring a child into this world. Plus I do not believe it would help you at all. Have a look at the situation SMS is in, in his household he has a young male relative plus that man's baby. The mother is (IIRC) in the Philippines, unable to live here.

So consider very carefully how you would feel about living with your parents, and having your baby to take care of 24/7, with your wife unable to visit, never mind live with you.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 9:46 am

Alexkai wrote:Hi guys,
Thanks for those who gave me advise.
I just recently received the IPA (LTVP) for my wife after 1 tried.
Next month will be going down to completion of formality.
I would like to ask will there be any interview for us when we go down for the completion of formality or just submitted the require documents?
How long will it take to receive the LTPV card for my wife.
Thanks
Congratulations on that!
I've been through the LTVP process, so can offer my opinion/experience (you might also search for what I wrote (in detail) on the process at the time.
My recollection though is that -
- Everything you need is listed on their IPA letter, including stuff like medical, photos etc.
- They will want to see the originals of any documentation that you e-submitted with your application. This might include things like education certificates, marriage certificates, bank statements, IRS annual tax clearance certs, etc.

I recall the exercise as being one of simply checking your credentials are genuinely like what was submitted in the e-application. If they are then I'd suggest you have absolutely nothing to worry about, the staff are extremely courteous and helpful. Neither do I recall any form of 'interview'. The process seems based upon the documents submitted.

Spending time (often quite a lot IME) down at ICA, in what is a pretty stressed and packed room of hundreds of people is far from a pleasant experience; but take some reading , and snacks, water etc to keep yourself occupied and it's over soon enough. The LTVP will be issued to you at the end of the checking procedure (IIRC, or at the least you are told it's approved, and the applicants passport gets appropriately chopped). I'd suggest planning a nice brunch or dinner out afterwards to celebrate, as you will feel like you deserve it. I'd also suggest getting there as early as possible... even if you roll in at 9am there'll be hundreds in front of you. Try to minimise the pain by getting their as early as possible, and even then count on it taking 1/2 a day.

HTH

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:15 am

7:30 am is a good time to already be in line as they open at 08:00 hrs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 11:41 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:7:30 am is a good time to already be in line as they open at 08:00 hrs.
This must be what a lot of people do: Especially as they have to attend with their sponsor who is obliged to take leave from work (most are probably rather forlornly hoping/thinking they can get everything done and be at work by maybe 9.30 and perhaps blame it on the traffic or something, rather than use valuable leave).

I do actually wonder what it would be like turning up later, maybe after lunch. That said IIRC you are given a 'timed window', but there are a lot of people who also take 'just turn up and wait' untimed appointments, esp. short-timers vs their remaining SVPs, which creates the early morning zoo.

Maybe if you took a say 3pm appointment, they see you, and clear the room before the end of day? OR, maybe if you're not seen they kick you out and you start the process again. Don't know!

p.s. afterthought: Just console yourself that you will only have to go through this initial process once. Renewal is much less stressy, not least as all your credentials are logged, so it's simply a case of submitting any revised/updated details, putting up with the wait and the zoo, and then you're done.

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Wed, 05 Nov 2014 6:05 pm

JR8 wrote: Congratulations on that!
I've been through the LTVP process, so can offer my opinion/experience (you might also search for what I wrote (in detail) on the process at the time.
My recollection though is that -
- Everything you need is listed on their IPA letter, including stuff like medical, photos etc.
- They will want to see the originals of any documentation that you e-submitted with your application. This might include things like education certificates, marriage certificates, bank statements, IRS annual tax clearance certs, etc.

I recall the exercise as being one of simply checking your credentials are genuinely like what was submitted in the e-application. If they are then I'd suggest you have absolutely nothing to worry about, the staff are extremely courteous and helpful. Neither do I recall any form of 'interview'. The process seems based upon the documents submitted.

Spending time (often quite a lot IME) down at ICA, in what is a pretty stressed and packed room of hundreds of people is far from a pleasant experience; but take some reading , and snacks, water etc to keep yourself occupied and it's over soon enough. The LTVP will be issued to you at the end of the checking procedure (IIRC, or at the least you are told it's approved, and the applicants passport gets appropriately chopped). I'd suggest planning a nice brunch or dinner out afterwards to celebrate, as you will feel like you deserve it. I'd also suggest getting there as early as possible... even if you roll in at 9am there'll be hundreds in front of you. Try to minimise the pain by getting their as early as possible, and even then count on it taking 1/2 a day.

HTH
1. Not everything you need is stated on the letter, the page where you are supposed to print your letter might also have some documents required not listed on your IPA letter (e.g. terms and conditions).

2. Technically you are not allowed to eat or drink in the waiting areas, though I haven't seen it enforced :wink: