Singapore Expats

Looking for a Pulley system to haul stuff to the 4th floor

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Looking for a Pulley system to haul stuff to the 4th flo

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 2:51 pm

the lynx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:i didn't know you needed a certification to pull something up using a pulley, as for endangering humans, the apartment is usually empty most of the time, there are two entrances one from the front and one from the back, the one at the back is what I'm referring to.
It is part of WSH initiatives. There is certificate for every task like working from height, working in enclosed spaces, working with heavy machinery etc.

http://wsh.ntuclearninghub.com/work-at- ... upervisors
doesn't that pertain to the workplace? I am assuming if i give sufficient warning/notice to people that goods would be moved up and down at a certain time and they should walk around with caution during this time, it should be enough.
One more thing, there are not many people in this building, shops occupy the first and second levels (accessible from the front ) third level are two vacant houses and 1 neighbour to contend with on the fourth floor.hence the staicase at the back is largely unused.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 3:03 pm

x9200 wrote:I don't think a certificate for this type of the job is needed (please prove me wrong and I will humbly accept it - mere existance of a WHS course is not a proof) but there could be some issue indeed on the general public safety grounds.
I am extrapolating from a guy who came to replace a window that fell off, when I was in the old condo, yep, the window just went crashing from the 17th floor all the way to the grass patch behind

We ran down, and saw the 2 feet window had deeply burrowed itself about a feet, and thank God nobody was there, though considering the state of that condo, nobody would have been at that side of the premises. We retrieved it, and left it leaning on the wall, and the wall had some more glasses, probably from other residents windows 'falling off'

We called a guy to replace the window, fellow comes, surveys, then sticks warning notice in the lift, outside the life and a few rolls of yellow DO-NOT-CROSS tapes, and then some more tape and all that before he went on to the damaged window and to replace the window

The actual replacement took just 15 minutes, but his preparation etc took more time.

That's like 10 years ago

I am sure other than WSH, general safety standards are much stringent and there is no room for a DIY pulley system, less your fridge/washer goes crashing into somebody else's door or God Forbid, Injure somebody !

And I can't see a WSH course for window replacement ..

PS, in my current work place, prone to serious accidents, there is a warning. If you are not qualified to do that work, DON'T DO IT. Management will not penalize you for not doing stuff you don't know.

And the first lesson in HSE - If there is an emergency, unless you are trained, do not attempt to fix the problem. Raise the alarm, and only if guided, proceed accordingly

I am sure you know how dangerous Shipyards can be !!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 3:15 pm

Since 2006 there is a general legal, unified safety framework in place. Before there was probably also something but I don't know what and where. Anyway, securing the area would be just a part of Safe Work Procedure and Risk Assesment, both a responsibility of the person doing a job and his supervisor (if any) but no certification for doing it may be required.

(qualified to do a job doesn't mean you need a certificate neither)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 3:35 pm

ecureilx wrote: there is no room for a DIY pulley system, less your fridge/washer goes crashing into somebody else's door or God Forbid, Injure somebody !
I'm not planning to lift the washer up the pulley, just boxes, I am not that adventurous. :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 4:18 pm

x9200 wrote:(qualified to do a job doesn't mean you need a certificate neither)
the way things are going, you MAY need a certificate .. and it may be legal soon !

You may have noticed now bar bouncers are all WDA certified and uncertified = getting arrested by police for manhandling patrons (if they had to do it .. )

So are more and more cleaners, WDA certified

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 4:57 pm

I am always impressed by your insight into so many very diversified subjects but I must say, expecting me to notice that the bar bouncers are now WDA certified exceeds all what I have experienced from you before.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 03 Nov 2014 7:53 pm

:D

Sent from my HUAWEI MediaPad using Tapatalk 2

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 4:00 pm

i suspect if a pulley system is allowed or at least tolerated, we would have seen many singaporeans using it during moving day...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 4:08 pm

taxico wrote:i suspect if a pulley system is allowed or at least tolerated, we would have seen many singaporeans using it during moving day...
Quite.

I'm reminded of a street-scene in Manhattan, opposite where my wife lived in midtown. A couple of kids moving house in an estate car, they'd put a sofabed on the car roof (no roof-rack), and attached it by rolling Cling-Film over the sofa, through the open car windows, out and over the sofa again, and around and around. Until it was almost 'shrunk-wrapped' to the roof.

I was watching in alarmed wonderment, kinda ingenious + seriously stupid too :lol:

I've a photo of it somewhere, genuinely 'WTH are they thinking'!?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 4:14 pm

JR8 wrote:
taxico wrote:i suspect if a pulley system is allowed or at least tolerated, we would have seen many singaporeans using it during moving day...
Quite.

I'm reminded of a street-scene in Manhattan, opposite where my wife lived in midtown. A couple of kids moving house in an estate car, they'd put a sofabed on the car roof (no roof-rack), and attached it by rolling Cling-Film over the sofa, through the open car windows, out and over the sofa again, and around and around. Until it was almost 'shrunk-wrapped' to the roof.

I was watching in alarmed wonderment, kinda ingenious + seriously stupid too :lol:

I've a photo of it somewhere, genuinely 'WTH are they thinking'!?
The were probably thinking of Mr. Bean!

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 4:20 pm

Following this logic changing flat tire by a private person is illegal or at least not tolerated.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 5:07 pm

taxico wrote:i suspect if a pulley system is allowed or at least tolerated, we would have seen many Singaporeans using it during moving day...
Mostly people live here live in buildings with lifts no? you'd have to consider people who live in buildings with no lifts,and thats a small minority
there are no rules stating they can't be used, I believe they can as long as there is no endangerment to life or property.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:09 pm

x9200 wrote:
Following this logic changing flat tire by a private person is illegal or at least not tolerated.
replace the word "singaporeans" with the term "commercial movers," then.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:29 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
taxico wrote:i suspect if a pulley system is allowed or at least tolerated, we would have seen many Singaporeans using it during moving day...
Mostly people live here live in buildings with lifts no? you'd have to consider people who live in buildings with no lifts,and thats a small minority
there are no rules stating they can't be used, I believe they can as long as there is no endangerment to life or property.
there are a lot of condos out there with no lifts, and i've visited walk-ups as high as 5-6 floors up.

there also still many HDB flats out there with no lifts. HDB has upgraded ~5000 blocks with lifts since LUP started in 2001. for one reason or other, there are still ~200 blocks that will not be fitted with lifts on every floor by the time LUP ends in 2014, and these include low rise blocks.

commercial movers generally charge more if they have to move things by stairs.

i believe you can do whatever you wish as long as you don't get caught. i don't believe you can use a pulley simply because you think there are no rules stating otherwise.

my intent was not to make things difficult for you - i just don't want you to get into trouble as a result of complaining residents/passers-by.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 11:49 pm

taxico wrote:
x9200 wrote:
replace the word "singaporeans" with the term "commercial movers," then.
I don't think it is a practical approach for the movers:
- it is building dependent - needs to be installed, just think about lifting a washing machine this way. It won't be trivial to install it and secure the area. Would it fit the window? It would be useful for limited weight and size only (50kg?)
- it is limited to lower rise buildings (4-5 floors max) - how many of them are around, 5%? Many of them have lifts. For 1-2 storey building a forklift, cherry picker or just a conveyer belt would be a safer and quicker option
- it provides advantage mostly with limited manpower and the movers seldom are a 2 people company.