Singapore Expats

Underpaid salary for E Pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
cclynn

Underpaid salary for E Pass

Post by cclynn » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 2:34 pm

I'm a fresh graduate entering Singapore for my first working experience. Unfortunately I was being exploited in terms of working days, hours and salary. I'm on an E-pass but they paid me below the salary declared. The reason to it is when I was recruited they told me the commission would definitely cover the amount stated but later I found out it is wrong to do so. Commission is a form of variable salary and it's shouldn't be included in the salary declared to MOM (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Also working days is 6 full days with a total hours of more than 50 hours. Does the max 44 hours apply to E pass holder.

This work is not only physically exhausting due to the working hours but also mentally exhausting as the boss is unreasonable and would scold non stop for a few hours, sometimes it's a few days even the fault is not on me and would throw a tantrum (Eg: By throwing newspaper in front of me and nagging non stop).

I would resign right immediately if I could however I've got a 1 year contract and the compensation for leaving is 3 months and additional 0.5 months for immediate resignation.

Desperately need an answer and solution as this employer is very shrewd when it comes to outsmarting others and phony. Greatly appreciate some advice on this matter.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Underpaid salary for E Pass

Post by the lynx » Thu, 30 Oct 2014 2:45 pm

cclynn wrote:I'm a fresh graduate entering Singapore for my first working experience. Unfortunately I was being exploited in terms of working days, hours and salary. I'm on an E-pass but they paid me below the salary declared. The reason to it is when I was recruited they told me the commission would definitely cover the amount stated but later I found out it is wrong to do so. Commission is a form of variable salary and it's shouldn't be included in the salary declared to MOM (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Also working days is 6 full days with a total hours of more than 50 hours. Does the max 44 hours apply to E pass holder.

This work is not only physically exhausting due to the working hours but also mentally exhausting as the boss is unreasonable and would scold non stop for a few hours, sometimes it's a few days even the fault is not on me and would throw a tantrum (Eg: By throwing newspaper in front of me and nagging non stop).

I would resign right immediately if I could however I've got a 1 year contract and the compensation for leaving is 3 months and additional 0.5 months for immediate resignation.

Desperately need an answer and solution as this employer is very shrewd when it comes to outsmarting others and phony. Greatly appreciate some advice on this matter.
In terms of false salary declaration, sounds like your employer is breaching MOM law. If you have solid evidence, you should present your case to MOM.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practi ... fault.aspx

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 10:14 pm

cclynn wrote:I'm a fresh graduate entering Singapore for my first working experience. Unfortunately I was being exploited in terms of working days, hours and salary. I'm on an E-pass but they paid me below the salary declared. The reason to it is when I was recruited they told me the commission would definitely cover the amount stated but later I found out it is wrong to do so. Commission is a form of variable salary and it's shouldn't be included in the salary declared to MOM (Correct me if I'm wrong).

are you being paid less than originally agreed or are you just regretting your decision on joining this company? doesn't seem like you've worked very long there either...

MOM is always available to accept your report(s): http://www.mom.gov.sg

your company can/must pay you more, especially after MOM finds out and enforcement action is taken, but your boss will want you to work (even) harder.

long working hours... get used to it and harden up. you're young and a fresh grad! if you want short working hours, you're on the wrong continent. in certain industries you are expected to work long hours...

can't help you with the asian boss. if there is an HR person to talk to, you should. persevere! toughen up! this will make you stronger.

concentrate on producing the work your boss wants (and that you probably promised to deliver during your interview), learning, making contacts, etc. don't dwell on how unfair it is in your young mind.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:11 pm

You can go to MOM and try. However, if they find ANY colllusion on your part, you will be in deep brown stuff as well. So, make sure of your facts and figures and if you fall within the parameters of the Employment Act (Cap 50), then you have a case, otherwise, it will blow up in your face. If you are on an ep, you should have your Passport in hand, so there is nothing stopping you from doing a runner (although I don't recommend it) but it could mean the end of your ever working here again. Until we know the actual numbers we cannot begin to give you a studied answer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:27 am

cclynn wrote:Also working days is 6 full days with a total hours of more than 50 hours. Does the max 44 hours apply to E pass holder.
This isn't France. I did a standard 80hrs, incl out here in Singapore; up to 100.

Toughen up son.