Singapore Expats

Researcher Seeking Info on Bathrooms in Singapore.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:52 am

PNGMK wrote:Don't forget the trend backwards towards "Kamar Mandi" style baths. You have a build in water cistern (200 L capacity) with a small handled bucked. You stand in the wet area and splash it all over you. Sounds horrible but actually is a highly conservative way to use water and is extremely refreshing in hot climates, (the water cools in the cistern).
Oh, I loved my Mandi in Indonesia!
(It was fun, but also needed because of frequent water mains outage.)
I've never seen one in Singapore, but my in-laws told about big ceramic jars (similar to the still ubiquitous dragon pots for plants) used in the same manner in the past.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 6:02 am

PNGMK wrote:Don't forget the trend backwards towards "Kamar Mandi" style baths. You have a build in water cistern (200 L capacity) with a small handled bucked. You stand in the wet area and splash it all over you. Sounds horrible but actually is a highly conservative way to use water and is extremely refreshing in hot climates, (the water cools in the cistern).
De facto bathing/shower in the Philippines, except with pails. Bigger water containers are used in areas with less than reliable water supply in the taps.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 6:45 am

PNGMK wrote:
Anna_BRG wrote:
x9200 wrote: Beppi, in 3 out of 4 condos I lived so far gas was used to heat water. The other one was electric storage type (mid 80s).
Oh man, why does this have to be so complicated. :lol:
Gas vs Electricity comes down to whether the apartment has piped (town) gas. If so heating water is MUCH cheaper via gas.
It's probably also about the safety and installation costs. Private property allows more freedom of design, all the piping is covered etc. It is also hard to tell whether in the actual use, the gas heating is cheaper. All the systems I've seen were flat-central, meaning there was one burner outside the apartment and it supplied the hot water everywhere. Such systems have significant water retention volume so more water is wasted and more gas is wasted than it is actually needed.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 6:46 am

beppi wrote: Gas is never used to heat water
I have one in my HDB unit right now.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:39 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
beppi wrote: Gas is never used to heat water
I have one in my HDB unit right now.
Any piped PUB Gas apartment has option for Gas heaters

Seems it is catching on, as more than a few apartments in Sengkang has Gas

And my former place in Race Course Road too had

http://www.citygas.com.sg/forhome/overv ... romotions/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 7:40 am

nakatago wrote:Image
this came back, albeit temporarily, after a maid was found floating in the water tank in Woodlands :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 4:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:Image
this came back, albeit temporarily, after a maid was found floating in the water tank in Woodlands :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Funny we installed a proper hot water shower in our helpers bathroom and she still prefers the old bucket over her head type of washing.

I am actually looking to increase the size of our water heater, i like the bath to be filled to the brim and jump in, unfortunately the current tank will only fill it 3/4 with hot water.

During the construction of our apartment in KL ( 3 bathrooms each with an electric hot water tank in the ceiling) I connected all three tanks together, so if I am using the master bathroom I pretty much get unlimited hot water via a 400mm dia shower head as the water comes from all three tanks. I also manage to get the builders to shove the mains pressure regulator to the floor below me, so I get the rip your skin off type mains pressure :lol: might explain why I have no hair

Almost all the water heaters here are supplied by Joven.
Last edited by QRM on Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Oct 2014 4:33 pm

QRM wrote:Funny we installed a proper hot water shower in our helpers bathroom and she still prefers the old bucket over her head type of washing.
If the water pressure is too slow, some times, people prefer to use the bucket .. than let the shower trickle ..

Or maybe old habits die hard :D