Singapore Expats

Electrics water damage from balcony

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nurana

Electrics water damage from balcony

Post by nurana » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 6:02 pm

Hi,

I'd like some advice from the forum.

We live in a duplex condo. One day I arrived home and there seemed to be water leaking from upstairs. It transpired that the probable cause was that there had been torrential rain and the upstairs balcony had flooded. Ever since then, some lights in the condo have worked intermittently.

Two things come to mind. Firstly, shouldn't the condo be left in a state whereby the balcony can deal with torrential rain? Secondly, one of the locks on the balcony door was broken. Once the landlord's agents had learnt of this, they hurriedly tried to fix the door.

So question is, who should pay to get the electrics looked at and fixed? Us/the landlord/the agent or a combination of the aforementioned parties?

We are a bit worried that we will be taken for a ride.

Thanks in advance.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 3:29 pm

You should contact your landlord to get things fixed.
Who pays for it depends on the agreement in the rental contract.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Electrics water damage from balcony

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 4:28 pm

nurana wrote: We live in a duplex condo. One day I arrived home and there seemed to be water leaking from upstairs. It transpired that the probable cause was that there had been torrential rain and the upstairs balcony had flooded. Ever since then, some lights in the condo have worked intermittently.

Two things come to mind. Firstly, shouldn't the condo be left in a state whereby the balcony can deal with torrential rain? Secondly, one of the locks on the balcony door was broken. Once the landlord's agents had learnt of this, they hurriedly tried to fix the door.

So question is, who should pay to get the electrics looked at and fixed? Us/the landlord/the agent or a combination of the aforementioned parties?

We are a bit worried that we will be taken for a ride.

Thanks in advance.
My 2 cents,

if you had documented the place, i.e. taken some pictures etc, and the lights were failing / failed as you moved in, you should tell your agent and get them to fix it, than let it go into your pocket as a 'wear and tear/minor repair'

I would suggest you quickly take pictures and put them in record, before the landlord or agent thinks of some way to put it on you, in case your agent/LL was one of those type ..

as for balconies not geared to handle torrential rain, there are a few apartments designed for aesthetics buy come heavy rain, water gushes in till I saw one hall fully soaked ..