Singapore Expats

Researcher Seeking Info on Bathrooms in Singapore.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Anna_BRG

Researcher Seeking Info on Bathrooms in Singapore.

Post by Anna_BRG » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a researcher with BRG Building Solutions in London, UK. I am trying to find information on the bathrooms industry in Singapore in general, and the faucets the sanitaryware industries specifically, but I am having a lot of trouble reaching individuals who can answer questions on these industries.

I was hoping that maybe some of you would be able to answer some really brief questions for me, or might be able to direct me to a local individual who you think could be helpful.

Types of questions I am seeking answers for:

1. What are people most likely to install in Singapore: A bathtub, a shower tray, or a walk-in shower (with tiled floor and maybe a curtain)?

2. What types of taps and mixers (faucets) are people most likely to install (one head mixers, two head mixers, thermostatic taps, pillar taps, other...?) and does this answer change whether we are talking about bathrooms vs. kitchens?

If you feel that you can answer these questions I would love to read about your experiences. Alternatively, if you can recommend someone else I should speak to about this, I would sincerely appreciate your guidance!

Thanks for reading,
Anna

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 4:03 am

1. No bathtub. cos space is an issue here. Dont think i've came across one that with shower tray. Walk-ins with tiled flooring are easier to clean.

2. i personally prefer the tap that you can swing to either side for your hot or cold water (what do you call that?). i find it easier and more convenient to use. rather than turning two taps on just to get the water at the temperature that i need.

x9200

Re: Researcher Seeking Info on Bathrooms in Singapore.

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 7:25 am

Anna_BRG wrote:Hi everyone,

I am a researcher with BRG Building Solutions in London, UK. I am trying to find information on the bathrooms industry in Singapore in general, and the faucets the sanitaryware industries specifically, but I am having a lot of trouble reaching individuals who can answer questions on these industries.

I was hoping that maybe some of you would be able to answer some really brief questions for me, or might be able to direct me to a local individual who you think could be helpful.

1. What are people most likely to install in Singapore: A bathtub, a shower tray, or a walk-in shower (with tiled floor and maybe a curtain)?

2. What types of taps and mixers (faucets) are people most likely to install (one head mixers, two head mixers, thermostatic taps, pillar taps, other...?) and does this answer change whether we are talking about bathrooms vs. kitchens?

If you feel that you can answer these questions I would love to read about your experiences. Alternatively, if you can recommend someone else I should speak to about this, I would sincerely appreciate your guidance!

Thanks for reading,
Anna
If your question is really about statistics then you should probably ask people leaving long enough in HDB (please google this out) or HDB itself. This is where the majority of the population lives and hot water may not be even there available. This is an expat forum with many people living in condos and from my experience all sort of solution are present in the condos depending on the condo itself and if this is a master bathroom or a different one etc etc.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:04 am

x9200 wrote:This is where the majority of the population lives and hot water may not be even there available.
in fact, most, if not all HDB has hot water !!!

I am yet to recall any HDB I have stayed or visited that didn't have hot water, either inline or gas heated, or the old type hot water tank !!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:10 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:This is where the majority of the population lives and hot water may not be even there available.

I am yet to recall any HDB I have stayed or visited that didn't have hot water, either inline or gas heated, or the old type hot water tank !!
Also in the kitchen? See the questions the OP asked.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 8:40 am

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Also in the kitchen? See the questions the OP asked.
:( ok, never seen hot water in the kitchen !!!!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 9:58 am

ecureilx wrote:

My place doesnt have hot water :D

Can get a hot shower if washing machine used at same time though :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:01 am

In private housing, one can have hot water system installed for both bathrooms and kitchen.

In HDB, it is not provided by default. Just hot shower.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:23 am

Anna_BRG wrote:Types of questions I am seeking answers for:

As others here have pointed out, the vast majority of Singaporeans (70+%) live in 'public housing' - Housing Development Board (HDB) flats. Most of these flats come with 2 bathrooms/toilets (SO much better than the classic UK/Ireland house with just one bathroom...), with an ensuite bathroom for the master bedroom and a 'common' toilet attached to the kitchen (something you would never see in the UK...).

Because of space constraints, these bathrooms are very small, often with not even enough room to squeeze in a shower curtain let alone a bathtub. Typically bathrooms wil have individual water heaters while the kitchen water supply remains unheated.

Renovation work is strictly controlled by the HDB, limiting any drastic changes to bathroom sizes/proportions but when it comes to things like tiles and bathware, people here love to change things as much as they can before they move in.
Anna_BRG wrote: 2. What types of taps and mixers (faucets) are people most likely to install (one head mixers, two head mixers, thermostatic taps, pillar taps, other...?) and does this answer change whether we are talking about bathrooms vs. kitchens?
From observation (and my own personal preference) people here seem to prefer one head mixers for taps. As mentioned above about the lack of water heaters in kitchens, mixer taps are a moot point.

You might find this site - which shows the floor plans of various types of HDB flats - to be of some interest. As you can see, the bathroom sizes are pretty 'compact'.

http://www.teoalida.com/singapore/hdbfloorplans/#1970
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 1:59 pm

I renovated two bathrooms two years ago - in fact I turned 3 bathrooms into one giant bathroom and one normal one.
Anna_BRG wrote:Hi everyone,

Walk in shower. Pre fab trays/shower stalls are almost unknown. Most people don't like curtains here because of mould so they may install glass or poly sliding doors. Bathtubs are desirable here but not common because of space. I put one in though (moulded plastic I think).

Single head mixer in kitchen. Two head mixer (i.e. one shower outlet, one downward outlet) in the bathroom.

Thanks for reading,
Anna
For exploring the bathroom industry do a google drive along Balestier Road in Singapore. Like most Asian cities certain industries congregate in certain areas and the bath/light business is on Balestier Road in Singapore.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 3:24 pm

Over the years in Singapore I've seen all possible combinations of what you describe, although bathtubs are rare (as others pointed out) and warm water in kitchens very rare - I've seen it only once and the (European) owner told me about the contractor's "shocked" reaction to being asked to install it.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 3:37 pm

Special mention should also be made to the disgusting external plumbing visible in hdb bathrooms
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 4:02 pm

beppi wrote:Over the years in Singapore I've seen all possible combinations of what you describe, although bathtubs are rare (as others pointed out) and warm water in kitchens very rare - I've seen it only once and the (European) owner told me about the contractor's "shocked" reaction to being asked to install it.
There are pretty standard for the private estates. I don't recall a single condo apartment (3+1) without a bathtub.

OP, it's not that easy as you could see.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 4:08 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Special mention should also be made to the disgusting external plumbing visible in hdb bathrooms
:D

If you see how they build HDB, you will know why

it is modular, the pieces get hoisted and then they start hacking for the plumbing etc ..

don't fret as long as it doesn't start leaking :twisted: as it sometimes does ..

scary as it is somebody's poop starting to leak ..

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Fri, 24 Oct 2014 9:43 pm

when we moved into our condo in August the agent looked at us like a couple of butters when we asked about the hot water system for the kitchen and showers, now after not having needed a hot shower in 3 months i understand why!