Singapore Expats

Seen this? Top destination

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Seen this? Top destination

Post by Brah » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:07 am

Singapore has clinched the number one spot on Lonely Planet’s list of the top 10 countries to visit in 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/2 ... 19318.html

There was a time when LP was respectable.

As usual, the best part is the comments.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 5:37 am

The only thing that comes to mind right now is "when will people stop s****** Singapore's d***?!"

Probably at the same time these same people would stop thinking that Singapore has the best variety of food.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:39 am

Singapore is attractive for people who have money and do not usually travel anywhere more exotic. To go to another country they would prefer to have it organized while Singapore gives them the comfort to do it on their own. The attractions are very limited but so is the experience of this groups.
The little problem is, yes indeed, LP appears now a prostitute.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:46 am

x9200 wrote: The little problem is, yes indeed, LP appears now a prostitute.
Maybe they meant as a stop-over en route to somewhere else? If you consider all of the places you can easily visit from here it is more compelling.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 7:58 am

Singapore is a great place to visit, especially if you've never been to Asia before.

Granted, it's Asia "light"... and the place is a Disneyworld of sorts... and what's not to like. I like having a drink at the top of MBS. I've done the ferris wheel and think it's cool. I've had great dinners at the restaurants on the other side of Marina Bay watching the water show... it's hard to find this stuff elsewhere.

The Botanical Gardens are wonderful... so is the bird park. There is history here, from the commercialized Little India and Chinatown to Battery Park... lots of out of the way stuff the average tourist won't see.

But, you can't get away from the fact that if you are the average European or American, landing in Asia for the first time, it's a GREAT place to stop. And then, you jump off... to see places as interesting, or more so, but not Singapore.

The gahmen may be screwing up lots of things... but tourism aint one of them.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 8:20 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Maybe they meant as a stop-over en route to somewhere else? If you consider all of the places you can easily visit from here it is more compelling.
Ok, I got to the source, not that this fully explains why a publisher for more experiences travelers chose Singapore, but at least reveals some criteria:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel/countries

Our line-up of countries hitting their stride, celebrating anniversaries or begging to be discovered is guaranteed to have you reaching for your passport. Feast your eyes on Lonely Planet’s top 10 countries for 2015.

and later

Singapore has an extra reason to party in 2015: it’s her Golden Jubilee. Since sealing its independence in 1965, Singapore’s heritage buildings, hawker centres, green spaces and shopping malls have lured travellers, but new developments have elevated the experience. First there’s Marina Bay, a new entertainment precinct, then there’s the new crop of swanky hotels, new attractions like the National Art Gallery and the Singapore Sports Hub, and more than a dozen metro extensions in development.

BTW, I could not find what HP quoted as coming from LP.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 9:51 am

I wonder how much Lonely Planet were paid for that one!?

Everyone has a price...
nutnut

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 1:30 pm

Yes, saw this link yesterday, someone posted in FB.
If you look at the rest of the places in the list, you will understand why.

This is why:
Our line-up of countries hitting their stride, celebrating anniversaries or begging to be discovered
As always any such positive news will definitely make it to mainstream media here:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 26664.html

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 1:42 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yes, saw this link yesterday, someone posted in FB.
If you look at the rest of the places in the list, you will understand why.

This is why:
Our line-up of countries hitting their stride, celebrating anniversaries or begging to be discovered
As always any such positive news will definitely make it to mainstream media here:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 26664.html
Singapore also has to focus on marketing its authenticity, said Mr Kevin Cheong, Chairman of the Association of Singapore Attractions. "It is about being original. Moving forward, I believe that we need to start looking at what makes Singapore authentic. What is the Singapore blend of service and culture which makes people say 'Wow, this is something different' and truly a crossroads of East and West?"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 2:52 pm

Since visitors stay an average 2.5 days I suspect the opinions voted are pretty superficial.

Curious also the others jockeying for the top-spot
- Singapore
- Namibia
- Lithuania
- Nicaragua
- Ireland
- Congo!?

Seems an extraordinary mixed bag.

Namibia, said to be fascinating and beautiful but you need your travel head about you. Lithuania... hmmm, Latvia has become recently popular (and rightly so IME), maybe this Baltic Republic is getting it's act together. Nicaragua!? :???: is one of the most hard-boiled places I've travelled. Fascinating but intermittently terrifying and I'd not wish to go back, and I certainly wouldn't take my wife. Ireland... zzz... nice enough, but like a wetter version of Wales, with bad beer [/bite me]. Congo!? Oh suuuure we all queuing up to visit that 5* grade dangerous place, as listed in the 'Dangerous Places' (aka mercenaries bible) travel guide.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 22 Oct 2014 2:59 pm

x9200 wrote:The little problem is, yes indeed, LP appears now a prostitute.
Quite possibly, as it's now owned by the BBC. It sure as heck has changed... my first guidebook from them was 'India on a shoestring' [1982]. Which was like a hippy-bible complete with guidance re: drugs, and where to get 'em. It was just a reflection of the authors themselves. I suppose that's why it worked well, as the writers (who owned LP) were off doing these very travels.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 8:55 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Agree.

But granted. For first-timer it is fun, convenient and clean, while expensive. After two days, you're done.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 9:56 am

I like one of the HuffPost comments... DisneyWorld with the death penalty.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:08 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I like one of the HuffPost comments... DisneyWorld with the death penalty.
Infamous article: http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/1.04/gibson.html
with its own wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disneyland ... th_Penalty

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:31 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I like one of the HuffPost comments... DisneyWorld with the death penalty.
Having just spent last Saturday at DisneyLand, I disagree. Singapore is much less expensive than that rip-off money-sucking time waster. I could spend 4 hours with some vapid 5C-chasing SPG at Ku De Ta and not even get laid, but have a better and cheaper time than what Disney costs now.

And sorry for the completely off-topic rant against Disneyland :cool: