Singapore Expats

Citizenship application and REP renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
barnwest

Citizenship application and REP renewal

Post by barnwest » Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:49 am

I have been holding PR for 10 years and now is the time for renewal. I am planning to apply for citizenship instead of holding PR and apply in person to ICA.
However, currently I have been living overseas for 4 years, specifically in US due to working requirement.
I have been wanting to go back to spore, nevertheless opportunity has not been there yet.

Would you please advise:
1. What will be my chance of my citizenship application approval?
2. What would be the chance of my REP renewal (that is due next year)? Will REP renewal be affected by my citizenship application?

Thanks and appreciate your inputs.

race: indonesian chinese

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Citizenship application and REP renewal

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:56 am

barnwest wrote:I have been holding PR for 10 years and now is the time for renewal. I am planning to apply for citizenship instead of holding PR and apply in person to ICA.
However, currently I have been living overseas for 4 years, specifically in US due to working requirement.
I have been wanting to go back to Singapore, nevertheless opportunity has not been there yet.

Would you please advise:
1. What will be my chance of my citizenship application approval?
2. What would be the chance of my REP renewal (that is due next year)? Will REP renewal be affected by my citizenship application?

Thanks and appreciate your inputs.

race: indonesian chinese
Guideline for REP renewal is you need to be in country for 3 of the previous 5 years. You're not going to make that, so you'll probably get a 1 year REP unless you can show you're currently overseas for a Singaporean employer and still being paid in Singapore (and thus your CPF).

Given that you're REP renewal isn't exactly a sure thing I don't think applying for Citizenship while overseas for so long is the right move.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:05 am

^^ I concur. Not an enviable position I'm afraid. However. If he's been paid by his local company and CPF paid as well, this would show that it was a pretty good bet that he was always meant to return to Singapore. So, that might be the only redeeming thing. Otherwise, as said, I'd worry about the REP first and then apply for citizenship after getting the REP and returning to Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

barnwest

Post by barnwest » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 10:10 am

Thanks both for your reply. My employer is not contributing for my CPF while I am working overseas (under overseas headcount).
I take your advice to focus on REP renewal and hoping to get a year (or hopefully more) extension, so that I can have time to plan to go back to sg.

Does it make a difference to apply REP renewal electronically or in person?
Would I get a better chance if I apply in person to Singapore Consulate or ICA?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:19 am

That's a good question. I really don't know. However, I would think a manual application along with a letter from your Singapore Employer attesting to the fact that you will be returning to the parent company in Singapore in the near future would go a long way towards mitigating the circumstances of your extended stay overseas. If you cannot get that assurance in writing from your employer, then all bets are off using either method. Probably a one year REP if you are here. If still overseas, iffy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Sat, 18 Oct 2014 2:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's a good question. I really don't know. However, I would think a manual application along with a letter from your Singapore Employer attesting to the fact that you will be returning to the parent company in Singapore in the near future would go a long way towards mitigating the circumstances of your extended stay overseas. If you cannot get that assurance in writing from your employer, then all bets are off using either method. Probably a one year REP if you are here. If still overseas, iffy.
do you mean being physically located in singapore and applying will help? so basically as soon as you enter the country, ICA will know so the app (electronically) will recognize this fact?

Sorry but this is the first time reading this hence the question

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Oct 2014 3:23 pm

Physically applying if possible (manual submission is what I'm saying, not necessarily hand carrying it ICA) e.g., fax or emailing with attached documents (not available with online submission I don't think as they usually say they will ask for documents should they require them. You need to make sure they get them in the first instance as otherwise there is always the possibility of them just rejecting out of hand instead of asking for more documents.

I'm not sure if a manual submission to an embassy/consulate is possible but it would be worth investigating, I'd think.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Physically applying if possible (manual submission is what I'm saying, not necessarily hand carrying it ICA) e.g., fax or emailing with attached documents (not available with online submission I don't think as they usually say they will ask for documents should they require them. You need to make sure they get them in the first instance as otherwise there is always the possibility of them just rejecting out of hand instead of asking for more documents.

I'm not sure if a manual submission to an embassy/consulate is possible but it would be worth investigating, I'd think.
It used to be possible (as recently as 1999) to apply via a Singapore High Comm.

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Sun, 19 Oct 2014 11:27 am

I have found the link here - http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152

quoting

If you are overseas, you may submit your application

1. Through the nearest Singapore Overseas Mission

2. Through a representative of a foreign government performing consular functions on our behalf in that country
3. Through a local representative in Singapore

Note:
An overseas application should be submitted at least 2 months before the expiry of the current REP. This is to allow sufficient time for processing. An overseas applicant whose spouse is a SC or SPR should furnish his/her spouse's Singapore identity card number and a copy of their marriage certificate to expedite processing.

There may be instances where a SPR is required to return to Singapore to complete the formalities for REP at the Permanent Resident Services Centre, ICA Building. In such cases, you may be granted a short-term REP to facilitate your return to Singapore.

You are strongly encouraged to use e-REP when you are overseas to make applications to renew/transfer your REP.