Singapore Expats

Living on Sentosa

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
JoshW

Living on Sentosa

Post by JoshW » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 12:31 am

Hi,

We are moving from our condo on Cantonment road and one apartment that stuck out to my parents was The Berth By The Cove on Sentosa. My mum fell in love with it and my dad seems to be swaying towards it.

From what I know so far my dad and I will have to get a shuttle from the condo to Vivo and then go from there, such a hassle.

I was wondering about the pro's and con's of living there.

Thanks.

Search By

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:01 am

Taxis go to Sentosa

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:08 am

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:09 am

I have 2 friends living there (separately) and, despite the transport challenges, they love it. I think the price for the lifestyle is the increased time and effort to get to other parts of Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:13 am

No one will ever visit you, apart from maybe once out of curiosity.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:22 am

Maybe a bi-monthly BBQ party, but that's about it...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Living on Sentosa

Post by taxico » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:07 pm

JoshW wrote:We are moving from our condo on Cantonment road and one apartment that stuck out to my parents was The Berth By The Cove on Sentosa. My mum fell in love with it and my dad seems to be swaying towards it.

From what I know so far my dad and I will have to get a shuttle from the condo to Vivo and then go from there, such a hassle.
internal shuttles go to vivo/harborfront during peak hours only. you'll have to change to another bus at the village during off-peak hours.

there's also a buggy service.

residents get discounts at many places on sentosa - betw 10-20% off. things are always more expensive on sentosa.

some residents have bug and smell problems. not an issue if you run the a/c all day long.

one'15 term memberships for 5k i think.

lots of expats.

there's now a pre-K at quayside isle.

it's nice if you like the resort-type amenities and surroundings - very clean and private.

the sight and sounds of container ships and expensive cars may annoy you eventually.
JR8 wrote:No one will ever visit you, apart from maybe once out of curiosity.
jr is correct.

while it used to be free, guests now pay a flat rate of $3 (must be pre-registered). the public rate is $2 on weekday afternoons and evenings...

visitor parking can be located faraway from the resident's home. there're always something that needs fixing in sentosa cove...

there are regular jams on the causeway.

good luck!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 03 Feb 2020 10:17 am

Are residents still charged for using the shuttle bus services? Understand some time ago there was a petition on the bus fee as residents were already paying quite a lot for maintenance fees.

I wonder if residents find it inconvenient to take 2 shuttle buses to get to Vivocity?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

davidjerwild

Post by davidjerwild » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 1:13 am

i have a friend who stays there, basically lives in a bubble and never tries to interact with the locals. im not a fan.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 04 Feb 2020 9:39 am

davidjerwild wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 1:13 am
i have a friend who stays there, basically lives in a bubble and never tries to interact with the locals. im not a fan.
That sounds pretty anti-social... :(
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

davidjerwild

Post by davidjerwild » Wed, 05 Feb 2020 12:39 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 9:39 am
davidjerwild wrote:
he's social, just not to singaporeans. basically the kind of expat that gives us a bad name.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 9:34 am

davidjerwild wrote:
Wed, 05 Feb 2020 12:39 am
abbby wrote:
Tue, 04 Feb 2020 9:39 am
davidjerwild wrote:
he's social, just not to singaporeans. basically the kind of expat that gives us a bad name.
Oh I see. And I also do understand Sentosa homeowners have to fork out maintenance fee for their condo as well as Sentosa Cove. So there's basically 2 fees to be paid monthly ie: $1,300+ onwards.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:05 am

I visited Sentosa Cove for the first time last night.

All very nice but looked like a white enclave and, expectedly, prices are high. Not a taxi or Grab to be found so it was the shuttle bus but it didn't except my ez-link or cash. Fortunately another passenger used her card to pay the $2 fee.

Won't be rushing back and for me, not a place I'd ever live.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:24 am

bgd wrote:
Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:05 am
I visited Sentosa Cove for the first time last night.

All very nice but looked like a white enclave and, expectedly, prices are high. Not a taxi or Grab to be found so it was the shuttle bus but it didn't except my ez-link or cash. Fortunately another passenger used her card to pay the $2 fee.

Won't be rushing back and for me, not a place I'd ever live.
Sounds really inconvenient.. the shuttle bus took you to Vivocity? What kind of card does the bus accept? I thought ez link would be the payment mode. I think Sentosa still needs a lot of work to make it a lil more convenient for people to commute.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 06 Feb 2020 12:42 pm

abbby wrote:
Thu, 06 Feb 2020 10:24 am

Sounds really inconvenient.. the shuttle bus took you to Vivocity? What kind of card does the bus accept? I thought ez link would be the payment mode. I think Sentosa still needs a lot of work to make it a lil more convenient for people to commute.
Yes, Vivocity and I believe Harbour Front after that.

It does except ez-link just not mine. I use a YouTrip cc with ez-link which works on all the buses, just not that one. They had quite a list of acceptable cards but it was a little dark for me to read it. From the reactions of the passengers I got the impression that cards not being accepted is pretty common.

Without your own transport it would be very inconvenient living there.