Singapore Expats

The latest market fall

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 5:47 pm

Wd40 wrote:Surprised the markets are still falling. Europe has again opened in Red. I thought after US markets pared losses yesterday night, Asia and Europe should start moving up. But no. Now it looks like US will follow Asia and European cues and we will have losses there as well. It will be interesting to see when this stops.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-1 ... h-oil.html
I'm not at all - the market has been overpriced for some time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 9:23 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:thinking about some petchem and maybe some smaller oil not the royal dutch shell thingies. or chemicals?

Oooooh no, I don't like thingies either. :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:21 pm

Interesting article about oil stocks:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntobey/2 ... me-to-buy/

I am actually thinking of picking up this fund:

https://secure.fundsupermart.com/main/a ... BGF008.pdf

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:08 pm

Wd40 wrote:Interesting article about oil stocks:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntobey/2 ... me-to-buy/

I am actually thinking of picking up this fund:

https://secure.fundsupermart.com/main/a ... BGF008.pdf
He hasn't a clue what he's writing about.

Let me know when he posts a recipe for muffins (handed down at least 3 generations).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 1:05 am

Wd40 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I just put $10k in LionGlobal Japan growth fund, lets see how it goes :)
You're treating it like roulette., drama seeking.

You will lose.

[I did similar 20 years ago with a Japanese equity fund warrant. Fkd. Lesson learned though.... don't go for promises and drama... go for boring but reliable... like your mama always said about your prospective wife hehe... ]
Thanks. Cancelled the order and bought $10k of this instead:
https://sg.morningstar.com/ap/quicktake ... 0P0000A0SO

Still have until 3PM to amend the order ;)
Wow, do you always change your investment strategy based a couple forum replies? :shock: Not calling their advice bad, but perhaps you should put more thought into what you actually invest in in the first place!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 1:24 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
JR8 wrote: You're treating it like roulette., drama seeking.

You will lose.

[I did similar 20 years ago with a Japanese equity fund warrant. Fkd. Lesson learned though.... don't go for promises and drama... go for boring but reliable... like your mama always said about your prospective wife hehe... ]
Thanks. Cancelled the order and bought $10k of this instead:

Wow, do you always change your investment strategy based a couple forum replies? :shock: Not calling their advice bad, but perhaps you should put more thought into what you actually invest in in the first place!
I know, that's how fickle minded I am.

BTW, US stocks are in the green now. So it looks like the bottom is in place. Tomorrow onwards, we should have a rally

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 6:50 am

WD40s grand plan for buying stocks is based on the principle of choosing overripe tomatoes from tekka market.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 9:38 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:WD40s grand plan for buying stocks is based on the principle of choosing overripe tomatoes from tekka market.
did you see the youtube video on Sub Prime ?

the guy goes, "oh, today seems to be a good day, lets' buy buy buy .." and triggers a mass buying .. "' and the next day ... "I forecast today to be cloudy, and trigger a sell sell .. "

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:08 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Thanks. Cancelled the order and bought $10k of this instead:

BTW, US stocks are in the green now. So it looks like the bottom is in place. Tomorrow onwards, we should have a rally
Settle down You have a few weeks to work out if the bottom is reached (and I don't think we have even begun to see a sell off).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:11 am

Wd40 wrote:

Fickle indeed! Pngmk is right. People like you with extreme over-reactions to every market minutia are the ones who help make other people so much money :)

It kind of surprises me how impulsive you are on this given what a penny pincher you are (and so proud of it) with everything else you post about.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:20 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:

Fickle indeed! Pngmk is right. People like you with extreme over-reactions to every market minutia are the ones who help make other people so much money :)

It kind of surprises me how impulsive you are on this given what a penny pincher you are (and so proud of it) with everything else you post about.
Yes, both give me the highs. Penny pinching lets me save more so that I can use a small part of it to take risk to satisfy the gambler in me, who wakes up everytime there is a crash like this :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:33 am

Wd40 wrote:Thanks. Cancelled the order and bought $10k of this instead: [/snip] I know, that's how fickle minded I am.
Hmmm...
5% front load fee
1.5% annual fee

So their performance has got to be pretty stellar... ?

... Oh dear. It's worth just 78% of what it was at launch 7 years ago. Apart from month-1 it's never exceeded it's launch price.

p.s.
Wd40 wrote:Yes, both give me the highs. Penny pinching lets me save more so that I can use a small part of it to take risk to satisfy the gambler in me, who wakes up everytime there is a crash like this :)
Why not go to MBS and gamble? At least you'll have something of an entertaining experience of losing your money :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:49 am

JR8 wrote:5% front load fee
1.5% annual fee
Jesus H Murphy friggin Christ!!! A 5 percent front end fee? Turns a $100 investment into a $95 investment instantly?

Means that a 10% return on a no load fund ($110) must be an almost 16 percent return to recover to the same point?

Why oh why would anyone ever invest in a front loaded fund? For that matter, why would anyone invest in a back loaded fund when there are so many alternatives available... most of which do better than these funds?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:10 am

The 5% front loading fee is the maximum. Fundsupermart and DollarDex offer it at 0.5% initial fee.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:12 pm

I cancelled the China fund purchase and eventually bought Aberdeen Global Opportunities.

https://secure.fundsupermart.com/main/a ... 370293.pdf

And I think I got it at the bottom. European markets are up and American futures signal a rally as well :)